Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hello from Australia  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
Hello from Australia
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
From the comatose city of Ipswich in Australia.

The story so far...

Started with half a dozen D&D related miniatures in the mid 1980's that I picked up from an old stock clearance sale.  Played a lot of the old board based wargames (like Axis & Allies etc.) for many years including HeroQuest.  Didn't really get into miniature gaming properly until around a decade later in the mid 90's.  Mostly playing home brew fantasy rules which we often referred to as “D6” and amassing a large skeletal hoard in the process.  Life stuff happened (work stuff, became a parent stuff, other D6 players moving town stuff, juggling house space stuff) so stopped playing & painting for close to fifteen years.  Been feeling the urge to pick up a brush again and see what's new things are for sale in this day and age.

I enjoy the collecting as much as the painting, with a strong favour for fantasy, horror, and/or Chinese themed miniatures.  Mostly I collect the 25-28mm scale.  Not the biggest fan of dioramas or excessive basing, while they are great to look at, I feel a miniature should be playable on the game table (and not have it's own game table that it carries around with it).  That said, I do enjoy viewing a creative diorama.  While creative, I'm an unspectacular painter and would describe my overall painting style as “somewhat lazy”.

Been an infrequent guest on this forum for several years.  One of the things I like most is viewing the galleries.  I miss the earlier days of the internet when there was a much larger volume of non-commercial galleries of all painting levels, many with 50-100 miniatures.  Part of  the planned  return to my miniature world is to photograph and upload my current collection, adding to it as I find out what all the kids are playing and painting these days.

Cheers.

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
Re: Hello from Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »
Welcome aboard ! Here are (most of) the finest painters you could find on the internet and fierce tabletop warriors or cunning wargaming generals (and many are well mannerred gentlemen IRL).  ;)

Hope the next time I'll read from you, some pics of your miniatures will be found too.  ::)
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien