Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord: Doctor Who Miniatures Game  (Read 23884 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Warlord: Doctor Who Miniatures Game
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 07:24:54 PM »
Andy at Heresy is celebrating the end of his dragon saga with 30% off all figures until midnight tonight, then 25% off until the 9th September. Given how many "not" figures are on his site, it may be your last chance to buy them before he has to remove them (this happened with his not predator figures - possibly by Prodos Games (if memory serves)).

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »
The fact that Warlord is releasing a range of actual, proper, bonafide Doctor Who miniatures is fantastic news!

I really hope that they don't go down the C&D route with other boutique companies who produce 'not' figures. For a start, and without wishing to re-tread the whole IP infringement argument, there would be all sorts of arguments as to what minis infringe, and what doesn't (ok, some are pretty blatant, but not all).

I'd love to see Warlord and everyone associated with this project cover themselves in glory with this project, and not get tarred with some horrible GW brush if they try to go legal.

If the new sculpts are good and not too expensive, then there's no reason why they can't exist in parallel with the 'not' minis. After all, they will be the genuine article - an actual Tom Baker 4th Doctor miniature for example and not some generic guy in a floppy hat and scarf!

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
My main issue is the fact the rules are likely to be based upon Bolt Action (not a fan)

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
I really hope that they don't go down the C&D route with other boutique companies who produce 'not' figures.

That's not quite how it works. It's generally the licensor - in this case the BBC - who send out C&Ds. Basically they've decided to licence a property.  A company pays them a great deal of money for exclusive rights. That company then contacts the Beeb and says "Excuse me, but we gave to pay for this, so why don't they?" In order to continue selling the licence, the Beeb has to defend it's IP, even when it previously turned a blind eye.

From experience, I  reckon that the cost of losing half your 'not' business is greater than the cost of securing a legitimate licence. But that's the risk you take when you knowingly sail close to the wind.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
I thinks it's inevitable that we're going to see some not-figures go OOP, especially those that resemble Docs & assistants. I just hope Warlord aren't arseholes and don't make an issue about figures that resemble characters or monsters they've no plans to produce themselves.

Considering the quality of the sculpts, I'd hate to see some figures go OOP and would hope that Warlord would offer to buy the molds and put them out themselves rather than risk producing inferior figures. But then I also believe in world peace.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 11:02:51 AM »
Sadly Warlord already have a history of buying up licences to stuff or pushing fringe pet projects for a couple of months, and then failing to support it properly resulting in it fading into obscurity. I'm afraid I have more hope than expectation that this will be different.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
Warlord do also have a habit of buying up figure ranges that they like. And they're good people, so you never know!

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
"pushing fringe pet projects for a couple of months"

That's my worry. It'll kill off the competing stuff, they'll ship three lead miniatures of recent Doctors for a tenner apiece, a couple of plastic boxes of daleks and then it'll all go quiet.

And TBH, rules based on the new series will suck. Run Doctor across table, make grandiose gesture, make a Sonic Screwdriver roll to see if 1-3: Time is reset with a red special effect or 4-6: Time is reset with a blue special effect..

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »
I thinks it's inevitable that we're going to see some not-figures go OOP, especially those that resemble Docs & assistants.

It's hard to prove they're likenesses though and not generic humans. Ship them with a pistol rather than a screwdriver and they're spy minis. Stick the screwdrivers on a tool sprue and no-one will know.

BTD and their Tardis like storeroom full of "old stock" will be the first against the wall. They've been taking the proverbial for a while with all the advantages of the licence without paying out any cash.
That's my worry. It'll kill off the competing stuff, they'll ship three lead miniatures of recent Doctors for a tenner apiece, a couple of plastic boxes of daleks and then it'll all go quiet.
Placcy Daleks and Cybermen would do nicely. Some 70s UNIT and a few Ice Warriors and the like would make me happy.

Online forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
I don't think Warlord could be criticised if at some point they chose to report others to the BBC. They will have paid handsomely for the licence. It's a commercial environment they operate in not a cuddly federation of mates.  I suspect Black Tree will have to stop, as their figures are clearly not generic. They've had their day [a very long day!] and some of the sculpts are very dated. I'd like to see what someone else can do.

As to the "lookalikes", we've been grateful for these , but I think that's probably over when there's going to be an official range. Fortunately there's plenty more they can do with 60's/70's cult tv so there will be plenty of goodies for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:51:36 PM by forrester »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
Considering the quality of the sculpts, I'd hate to see some figures go OOP and would hope that Warlord would offer to buy the molds and put them out themselves rather than risk producing inferior figures. But then I also believe in world peace.
Ths would be the ideal scenario (plus world peace would be rather nice too).

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
I don't think Warlord could be criticised if at some point they chose to report others to the BBC. They will have paid handsomely for the licence. It's a commercial environment they operate in not a cuddly federation of mates.

It's a commercial environment but it's also a niche market. I wouldn't blame them for wanting to be protective of their licence, but it doesn't mean they'd have to be bastards about it. I'm sure C & Ds should be the last resort.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »
Some of the "not" figures are a fairly generic bunch.
There have been a few that I couldn't recognise without someine telling me what they were.
Once I knew, it was reasonably obvious. But half the recognition comes from how you paint them. If they are just plain metal, some of the (plain human) figures could be almost anyone.
Paint a not-Pertwee figure in cape with a white face and black hair and you have a "Phantom of the Opera" possible - or will that attract another C&D option?

Warlord have a big marketing arm, and mass production. If they feel threatened by a cottage industry, let's hope they have the good grace to offer to buy out any decent moulds and make them more widely available, rather than just getting them whacked.
I hope they might - after all Foundry still make Dad's Army figures.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »
I'm keen to have more Who minis, but I have to say, I'm a bit worried about this.

I'm a big fan of the Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space RPG, I have ten books for the game and love running it. However, it is completely pitched at New Who fans, even the Classic Doctor Sourcebooks (1-7) have large sections dedicated to tying them into the Time War and New Who adventures. The worst is the Sixth Doctor Sourcebook, which has an entire chapter dedicated to tying Trial of a Time Lord into the Time War. F**k off. (In case you can't tell, I don't care for New Who)
Worse yet, many of the pre-generated character stats for Classic Doctors, Companions and Monsters are just plain wrong (Doctor 7 is a bad liar, Jamie's not much of a fighter and Mel is bad with technology) because the people writing the game don't care about the Classic Show.
And do you like the Big Finish or New Adventures stuff? Sucks to be you. It's never coming to the RPG. Ever.  :?

Put simply, we're going to see a 28mm Jackie Tyler long before we see a Celestial Toymaker and we'll NEVER see a Charlie, Fitz or Bennie. Sure, there'll be all eight Doctors and four posers pretty quick, but that'll just be a ploy to keep the Classic fans calm whilst fifteen alternate poses of Clara are made.

I just refuse to get excited over a game that's going to take 5-6 years MINIMUM to get to the stuff I want.

Ok... Rant over...  ::)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 12:29:49 AM »
"pushing fringe pet projects for a couple of months"

And TBH, rules based on the new series will suck. Run Doctor across table, make grandiose gesture, make a Sonic Screwdriver roll to see if 1-3: Time is reset with a red special effect or 4-6: Time is reset with a blue special effect..

Pfhaha! lol I was thinking something similar. If it's focussed on the new series, there's going to be a few movement rules and not much else.