Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord: Doctor Who Miniatures Game  (Read 24008 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Warlord: Doctor Who Miniatures Game
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
NurgleHH: official Sapphire and Steel wargame early 2016, official On The Buses minis range next winter?

You know, I'd actually buy a 28mm Blakey! "Buuutlerrrr!"

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
And then there's Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's On the TARDIS or Doctor Who: The ITV Years, with Blakey as the Master:

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
At the risk of veering this thread waaaaay off topic, I won't rest until someone produces a range of Nearest and Dearest miniatures.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
Steering back to the light and away from the rocks: I'd imagine the more commercial options will appear first but given the huge wealth of background material and characters there could literally be thousands of miniature options. Silurians,  Ice Warriors, Zygons, would be all great. I'm most looking forward to a decent Tom Baker though. I'm not bothered about the actual game so hopefully the miniatures won't necessarily be tied in to book sales (like some of the Bolt Action special characters).

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »
Even after all these years, I remain astonished by Doctor Who fans' ability to find the cloud in every vein of silver! lol

Warlord is likely to concentrate on New Who.  Well, what Warlord actually says is, "expect to see Sea Devils as much as Weeping Angels, Leela as much as Martha Jones, and a long, brightly coloured scarf as much as a fez". 

But suppose there is a strong bias towards the new series.  Why would that be a problem?  After all, that's where the gaps are.  We've had twenty years to stock up on Harlequin/Black Tree's extensive (if variable) range covering the old series. Those might even remain on sale.  Even if they don't, they'll be forever circulating on ebay.  It's still possible to pick up the 1980s Citadel/FASA figures at reasonable prices, if you're patient and those were only on sale from the manufacturers for a short time.

I'd suggest we are much more likely to see Warlord minis of Katarina or the Moroks if Warlord makes a success of selling models of Clara and the latest Cybermen than if they kick off with such obscurities.

Manufacturers of "not" minis might have to withdraw them from sale.  Possibly: we don't know yet.  But that can happen at any time to an unlicensed "not" mini: it isn't dependent on a commercial licence being issued to someone else.  There was no new licensor on the scene when QRF's not-Triffids got C&D'd, or when Paramount's lawyers closed down Eureka;s not-Star Trek minis.  So, if you see an unlicensed mini that you want, buy it as fast as you can.  Put in some orders now, like The Mystic Spiral has done.

Bolt Action is not the right basis for the rules.  Warlord refer to "a game system you all know and love," which may well be Bolt Action, though neither they nor John Lambshead, who is writing the rules, have specified that.  If you don't like the thought of Bolt Action (or Black Powder, or Beyond the Gates of Antares or whatever) being adapted to Doctor Who, then go and download Crooked Dice's Doctor Who Miniatures Game now for free ( http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/rules/dwmg/ ).  Or find the Harlequin Doctor Who Invasion Earth game on ebay.  Or adapt your favourite rules - I've seen threads here recently about Doctor Who games using Zombicide and Pulp Alley.

Warlord may lose interest.  But even if they do, we'll have seen an increase in the number and range of Doctor Who figures available.  It's even possible that it isn't an exclusive licence (until Panini bought up the ailing Doctor Who Adventures, the BBC had issued licensed three different companies to produce Doctor Who comic strips simultaneously - in the 1980s, Citadel/FASA and Fine Art Casting both held licences to make Doctor Who figures at the same time), which would leave open the possibility of someone else picking up the baton.  Whatever, I'm unlikely to have to spend hours converting those Heroclix Iron Man figures I bought into "Nightmare in Silver" Cybermen after all!

There won't be figures derived from the books/audios/comic strips.  Probably not (though cross-licencing does occur - Big Finish audios have featured characters from the comics such as Frobisher and Izzy, and they are currently making a range of adaptations of the Virgin books from the 1900s - so it's not an impossibility).  But no-one is making them now, so how does that leave us worse off?

Overall, this looks like being a huge net gain.  Let's treat it as such.

The pedantic bugger is right of course. All in all this a good thing. Warlord can do something that the not-producers cm sure many of can't - produce plastics of monster armies. I'm sure many of us are still swamped by DWA iDaleks but Cybermen, Sontarans etc will certainly be welcome. I'm sure that with the right sculptors Warlord can produce some great characters.

I@ve no issue with Warlord focusing on the new series initially. I think the appearance of classic characters will largely depend on how successfully the new series figures sell.

As for the rules, I personally hate pricey glossy rulebooks so I would be unlikely to purchase Warlord's DWMG anyway, unless it's available as reasonably priced PDF. That said, CD have been understandably so busy with 7TV etc that the DWMG hasn't had any support for a long time, so it would be good to have a supported set of rules.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
And I know I am really boring but I totally agree with that stance.

There are so many wonderful sculptors that are capable of sculpting really imaginative stuff... yet they go for all the 'not' stuff instead and it is a real shame :(

And going OT in....

There's no reason it has to be an either/or. A lot of the 'not' sculpts pay the bills - I suspect Mr Foster may have struggled even more over the (dragon) years had he not produced a few homages. Hasslefree too, to name but 2.

Obviously, YMMV, but IMO it's not a shame at all. People want - and are obviously willing to pay for - stuff that's connected to things they remember fondly or still enjoy, hence the explosion in licencing, sadly some of it with questionable QC.

Back on topic, it's the aforementioned questionable QC that I'm most worried about. Warlord are infamous for it; it's put me right off Bolt Action and GoA. If the character minis are not as good as the Veingart CD sculpts, they'll be rightly pilloried here and elsewhere. Sadly though, they will still sell well simply because they have the label.....
A high-impact plastic box set with a clear plastic Tardis, a solid grey one, Dr of choice, assistant or 2 and K9 would make a great pack. Make them simple enough and you'll sell tons. Make it in the right way and it can be re-packed multiple ways for multiple doctors.

Cautiously optimistic, but I'll not hold my breath. I will be picking up the minis I want from others ASAP though...

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
A slight change of tac -

There will be a new game system devised to fit into the Doctor Who universe and to allow the existing characters to work to the best effect

http://www.kasterborous.com/2015/08/doctor-miniatures-game-announced-warlord-games/

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
Well it sounds a lot like some form of 12 Doctors set is planned based on that article. I wonder if boxed sets might form a big part of Warlord's releases?

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Well it sounds a lot like some form of 12 Doctors set is planned based on that article. I wonder if boxed sets might form a big part of Warlord's releases?

One can Hope

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »
Well, well...

Just ordered the Doctor, Doctor bundle from Heresy (with the discount), and downloaded the free DWMG-rules.

Where do I get the nicest phone booth?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
There's a sticky thread (eeyew!) of Doctor Who proxies here, including several police boxes:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56140.0

Personally, I like the Sci-Fi Collector's Centre diecast for the bigger 21st century prop, which I used on these threads:
Doctor Who 1996: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43312.0
Doctor Who 2010: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23774.0
Doctor Who 2011: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=45461.0

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:13:54 PM by Steve F »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
Thanks. Ordered the Ainsty Tardis and Central Console (I feel a kind of project vibe, here...  ::)  )

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
New figures to buy ... what's not to like.  I just hope they fit in with my Crooked Dice minis.
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. I have loads of old Harlequin Doctor Who minis, and only a quarter of them are painted. I just can't find the will to paint a Harlequin Menoptera or Cheetah Person. I have painted a couple Zygons though, and they look awful. The idea of a new company making new Zygons is exciting. Hell, a decent Leela would make my day. I'd even be happy with a Chumbley. The chance to get some new sculpts of old monsters and characters is well worth seeing the new show take the limelight.

And if I don't like what I see, I just won't buy the game. Now lets see if someone knows how to sculpt the Second Doctor.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »
Well, well...

Just ordered the Doctor, Doctor bundle from Heresy (with the discount), and downloaded the free DWMG-rules.

Where do I get the nicest phone booth?

Fenris without question
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.