Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing urban models  (Read 3238 times)

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
Basing urban models
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »
What do you use to base urban models (police, thugs, etc)?

I have recently painted up some superheros and police and want to try and base them nice! Bear in mind that they are currently based on 2ps at the moment!

Thanks for any help in advance!! 8)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Basing urban models
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »
All my generic modern/urban stuff is based on slottas, which are sanded and painted a mid grey. Then you can add splashes and dribbles of browns or greens to make it look like weathered concrete.

Conversely, my specifically BPRD stuff while using very similar minis, are all on brown bases. Just to make them a bit different, and because the figures were coming out quite dark.

If they're for playing with, not display, then I reckon something quite plain is best as it doesn't stand out too much in different scenery. Dark brownish greys are good.

(I am contractually obliged to state that other opinions are available, and you will incur no penalties for paying more attention to them.)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »
I usually cover the base in putty, smooth it flat and then mark paving into it. You still get anomallies like paving slabs on carpet when they are indoors etc. but I cant think of a way around that. I do have quite a few Victorians in evening type dress that I based on carpet but these characters should not go outside without their coats on - I'm going to stop now as I feel I am painting an ever bigger picture of a right saddo ::)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
I agree with what has already been said - although I sometimes also paint the base grey and add white markings, as though they're on tarmac.  I usually do this freehand.  Examples with my Black Scorpion Cop Girl and Heresy Customs Inspectors.

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »
I think mine are going to have to be quite light colour bases. Thanks for the great pictures too, it's given me inspiration! I'll post a pic of what i decide on! :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
I either make my own - GW style bases with textured platicard on top, or buy some from HERE

Below - Bought from the "Workshop."

Below - made myself.

You may notice that I paint the bases as "light" as the subject allows.  If the figure is mainly "grey" and you paint a pavement grey on the base the colours are too close.  Note in these examples how the colour of the base helps to make the figure "pop."  So, for the Scavengers, grey is fine as there is little grey used on the figures.  With Rick - white and black on the figure, grey, being a mixture of those two colours, so I went for a different colour.  The Weird War - reddish brown for the base as not used on the figures, and an off-white highlight to help make them stand out.

If you to keep them on washers then, as has already been mentioned, try building up with Greenstuff and mark before set.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:46:38 AM by Orctrader »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
I'd stick to 2p pieces

;)

the lower the base, the better, to fit in with vehicles, buildings etc

can make a 2p look interesting either by using some of the flotsam you get in blister packs (Foundry Street violence etc typically have spare guns, traffic cones etc etc), or add litter made from green stuff, or newspapers etc

Some models, i trim the slot down drastically, others i leave, intentionally creating a difference in height (drives the scale creep fanatics nuts!).

Having said that, if you want to buy ready made bases, i'd strongly recommend Fenris Games (available direct from them, or via Hasslefree).
 :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
Akula, I love the individual details on each of those bases, It really makes each of the figures a one off mini diorama. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
Tactical miniatures did a nice pack of urban resin bases (concrete with curbs, drains, etc) .  I think Armorcast produces them now.   

There's a company called Champ Industries that makes something similar in plastic rather than resin:
http://www.champindustries.net/bases.html

In cases like Copplestone or Superfigs, where the minis have an integral base, I do something similar to Akula:  disguise the integral base with putty, and model in some bits of tras, debris, soda cans, etc.   Paint shades of gray, with some random brown dirt and occasional splashes of yucky greens, reds etc.