Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:27:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Project (with Grandson) First battle added  (Read 4426 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Lord of the Rings Project (with Grandson) First battle added
« on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
Our eldest grandson, Callum, has completed painting his Hobbit boxed set and we are now working on the Lord of the Rings.

I had all the figures from the magazine that came out a few years ago plus some extras.  Callum decided on a "baddie" army as the first one and our first models were those of the Mordor Orcs.

These Warg Riders were a joint effort.  Callum did the wargs Block colours, washes, dry brushing and some Grandad touching up of details.  The riders were blocked in by Callum and detailed by Grandad.  This style of working continued and was quite productive.  We deliberately restricted the pallette of paints that we used.

The wild wargs were bought on ebay quite cheaply and came without the plug in mane piece so we used Milliput to create it.

Our Orc horde - "could do with some more" says Callum!

We have lots of Moria Goblins to paint and started the army off with a couple of Cave Trolls.  These are actually repainted D&D plastic "Green Slaad" models.  Not exact but pretty near what we need.

The Uruk Hai were also done with a restricted pallette.  They will be the core of the army as a pike phalanx

Close up

The swords will form up on the flanks

Close up (Grandad did the details and the shield design)

Out in Front - The Scouts

We are now looking for more Scouts to reinforce the 5 we got at Claymore and some Pikemen & crossbows to convert the figures to crossbowmen.  We've tried to bid for crossbow armed Uruk Hai on ebay and been outbid every time.

Anyone know of a source of suitable crossbows?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:55:11 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Lord of the Rings Project (with Grandson) Orcs and Uruk Hai
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:49:12 PM »
Very effective team work.

Regarding the crossbows - you just have to hunt (here or eBay) and liek most things in life stick to your budget. Otherwise maybe conversions?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:15:01 AM »
Looks excellent. Those Slaad trolls are very effective! Hope you two have fun with them. :)

On crossbow uruk-hai... the plastic uruk-hai have arms moulded on to the bodies, but do you think it'd be possible to slice them off and glue on e.g. Frostgrave or Perry WotR crossbows fairly easily? I well know the situation with crossbow orcs on ebay, and I've been pondering that conversion myself!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
Looks excellent. Those Slaad trolls are very effective! Hope you two have fun with them. :)

On crossbow uruk-hai... the plastic uruk-hai have arms moulded on to the bodies, but do you think it'd be possible to slice them off and glue on e.g. Frostgrave or Perry WotR crossbows fairly easily? I well know the situation with crossbow orcs on ebay, and I've been pondering that conversion myself!

Thanks.  I was looking for spare crossbows.  The plastic figures look like a possible conversion if I can get the crossbows - cannot find them on either the Frostgrave or Perry sites.

Anyone got any spare?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Aye, sorry, I should've said. That's the rub. Your best bet is to get some spare from people who've bought the Frostgrave or Perry plastic kits. Though in both cases they're one of many options in the sets, so I'd say you might not have many problems finding some.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
Don't know if it's any help, but Gripping Beast sell packets of metal crossbows.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »
Love those warg riders, got some of my own. Could you take another shot at photos on those? I'd love to see more details.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
Our first battle using the GW rules.

Callum decided to be the "baddies".  His 4 warbands of Orcs with a "package" are returning from a raid with a captured hobbit.  They have to get the hobbit through the gate to deliver him to the evil wizard.  One of the orc models had a sticker (a bit of blutack) stuck under his base to denote who was carrying the hobbit.  If the orc was killed then any other unengaged orc in base to base contact could pick it up.  If no orc was in contact then the hobbit stayed where it was but could escape in the "baddie" move phase is a 1 or 2 was thrown (untying himself). 

Grandad had 4 warbands of Gondor infantry to try to rescue the hobbit. 

The ground - the gateway into the Orc's lair is at the top.

We did not have any "Gondor Captain" figures so Grandad changed the arms of some figures, painted their shields blue and gave them white tunics so that they were easy to see.

The Orcs had a nice banner - so the wizard could keep an eye on them (Callum's joke).

They spot each other

The Orcs charge

Battle is joined

On the flank 2 warbands head straight to the gate

Sacrificing two warbands to draw in three Gondorian warbands.

Callum's two warbands reach the gate but one Gondorian warband led by Faramir (Grandad) tries to stop them.  But Grishnak (Callum) (with the hobbit) heads straight at the gate and he sacrifices his third warband to pin the Gondorians in place

Resounding Victory

Callum achieved his mission even though he lost (deliberately) most of three warbands.  The little devil has quite a grasp of tactics!  The spoils of victory included a Capri-Sun drink!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Lord of the Rings Project (with Grandson) First battle added
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
The little devil has quite a grasp of tactics!

Lol! I'll say. Sacrificing hordes of orcs to foil the good guys - you've got a budding little Sauron on your hands! Good rep. :)

Offline rednorseman

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for posting.
cheers-
red

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
Wow your grandson painted up really nice.  lol :D ;)

Nice AAR and as others have already pointed out, the kid seems to have a good tactical mind.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline TheWorker

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
Brilliant! It fair warms the cockles of me 'eart to see young'uns pushing toy soldiers about. I am working on getting my own wee lad involved but as he's only 6 I think it'll be a while before I get him to Callum's stage!
"Overwork is repulsive to human nature--not work.”  ~ Kropotkin

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
Wonderful AAR!  I always love seeing people playing games with fully painted minaitures like this.  Great job!   8)
Mike

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
Brilliant! It fair warms the cockles of me 'eart to see young'uns pushing toy soldiers about. I am working on getting my own wee lad involved but as he's only 6 I think it'll be a while before I get him to Callum's stage!

Thanks.  Callum started at about 5 or 6 with games involving army men, pirates, dinosaurs, Thomas the Tank Engine, Nellie the elephant etc.  Bet he'll love playing games.

Offline TheWorker

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Thanks.  Callum started at about 5 or 6 with games involving army men, pirates, dinosaurs, Thomas the Tank Engine, Nellie the elephant etc.  Bet he'll love playing games.

Pirates on dinosaurs versus Thomas! The joys of being small. Many happy years of gaming to you and your grandson.