Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE at last! 3rd Feb  (Read 36930 times)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - BANNER TIME! (2nd November)
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Just read through the thread in one go, top notch work all around!

This might just push me to purchase Perry plastics again  o_o

hihihi I've yours ;)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »
hihihi I've yours ;)

Haha, indeed :D If I get more and end up doing nothing with them, perhaps you need more? :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
really love the way you do bases and the movement trays (a new variant on that approach for me) - looks great.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
Haha, indeed :D If I get more and end up doing nothing with them, perhaps you need more? :)

Drop me a message if so :) I just ordered some myself though, and I've not even finished yours yet.. ::)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
really love the way you do bases and the movement trays (a new variant on that approach for me) - looks great.

Thanks, I'm surprised people like my basing so much to be honest, it really is a very simple method I use.

I'm undecided yet whether I'll texture and paint the movement trays in the same way yet, as they do look rather nice as they are. But that decision can wait until I have more done!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - Update 15th November
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
Latest batch....

Three soldiers in the livery of House Tully.

The archers are both metals from Crusader Miniatures. Very nice sculpts, I enjoyed painting them! The one in the middle has had his bow hand replaced by a plastic one from the Perry kits - the hands are the weakest point of the Crusader sculpts, and are easily replaced. The one on the right though couldn't be replaced without some resculpting of the leg, but oh well, he will do!

A man-at-arms accompanied by the banner of House Goodbrook. The man-at-arms is a Perry metal, I really like the set it's from. I've painted two of them so far. They are all in standing poses leaning on their poleaxes, which makes them very useful for command groups.
The standard bearer is another metal from Crusader, one of their 'pikemen'. Not as wonderful as their archers, but still perfectly acceptable and a very useful pose for holding flags! Note his funny little hands....
The flag itself I made and printed myself.

Online tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE 15th November
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
Nice additions. Metals are good for characters aren't they. Thanks for sharing

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE 15th November
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
Nice work  8) 8) 8)

The Crusader Wars of the Roses metals mix very well with the Perry stuff.

Darrell.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE 24th November
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
This week's update....

Two Perry plastics alongside one of the Perry metals. You can see how the metal chap has horribly malformed hands and a funny face.... The quality of the hands and faces on the plastics is so much higher, and some of the faces are just full of character which gets unlocked once painted, I really like how these two turned out....
Nevertheless the metals have some interesting, useful poses and equipment not available on the plastic kits, so fit in nicely scattered throughout large units of plastics.
He looks a bit shorter than the other two, but that's because he is in a leaning forward pose...

The man-at-arms on the right is a conversion using legs from the Agincourt set. A bit of cutting was required to remove the torso and give him one from the WOTR, so he wouldn't be restricted to an outdated bascinet (the Agincourt M@A bodies have the heads already attached, and can't really be removed nicely without some proper green stuff skills due to the mail aventails). A few of these conversions expand the range of poses for armoured men-at-arms.

I will use this pair as a command group for my archers.

To those with a nerd-like knowledge of A Song Of Ice And Fire, like I have... he is Ser Desmond Grell! Anyone who can tell me who that is without looking it up wins a cookie!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:34 PM »
Nice work Charlie. Totally agree with you. The plastics are infinitely better than the metals. And your comment about painting unlocking the faces is spot on.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
firstly, I agree, there can be some differences in the sculpting of the metals and the plastics- I suppose that it's a lot easier to get a 'three up' anatomically more 'real' than the 28mm dollie/sculpt.

A good paint job on the mini's solves all re: differential between plastics and metals:

(If I may?)

Darrell.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »

To those with a nerd-like knowledge of A Song Of Ice And Fire, like I have... he is Ser Desmond Grell! Anyone who can tell me who that is without looking it up wins a cookie!

I was close, but I had to look up to check if i was right. I guess you've done a younger version of Ser Desmond?  ;)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
Btw; if you look up House Grell, you'll find a blazon, so you could give him a shield if you'd like

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
And your comment about painting unlocking the faces is spot on.

Some of them turn out to have handsome, slender faces, whilst others are real ugly brutes!!!

A good paint job on the mini's solves all re: differential between plastics and metals:

(If I may?)

Ah yes, that's your work isn't it! Very nice, I'll be adding that set to my list sometime in the future as well.

I was close, but I had to look up to check if i was right. I guess you've done a younger version of Ser Desmond?  ;)
Btw; if you look up House Grell, you'll find a blazon, so you could give him a shield if you'd like

Yes, I have in mind that this is all going to be set during Robert's Rebellion, so all the older characters from the book will be a bit younger. Means the army will be led by a Hoster Tully who isn't bed-bound... But I'm keeping it flexible, so it can represent any generation of these Houses.  And yes, Ser Desmond has some very nice heraldry, he's going to get a personal flag to accompany him at some point!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE 30th November
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
This week's update, five billmen / halberdiers.

Not much to say here. Two metals among the plastics. Despite what I said in my earlier post, I do really like these metal sculpts, they have character.

Annoyingly my matt varnish just ran out, so their jackets look a bit glossy.