Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE at last! 3rd Feb  (Read 36929 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's Perry Miniatures medieval blog - UPDATE at last! 3rd Feb
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
Well worth the wait Charlie. Another nice set of figures.

Thanks!

Is the archer, top right, a Perry body and arms with a Crusader head?

Ah no, that's one of the Perry metal Italian heads. And you know, I saw the exact same head on another thread here, asked the same question, and went and ordered some when told what it was! It's not the most perfect set for my uses, it features six lots of 2 closed barbutes, two with the great big turban things on, and two normal open faced sallets which are the only ones I wanted really. So I paid £7 for 12 of these heads and 24 ones I'm unlikely to use! Oh well!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:30:42 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
Hmm. I bought the Perry metal Tudor heads. Didn't much care for them. A bit crudely done. Used a couple, the rest are still in a box somewhere. So I know how it goes...
The truth is, as we've both remarked before I think, the plastics are just so much better in terms of quality. (Heresy to some, I know, but there it is. The evidence of one's own eyes).

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »
very nice progress indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
I agree, not one of mine look the same even when serendipitously you find you've used the same part combinations on a different figure. That is the real joy of the Perry plastics when yet another individual emerges off the assembly line.

You should know Captain B. You've probably seen more plastic Perry heads than all of us put together. If you say they're better than the metals then that's good enough for me!

Keep up the great work Charlie, they're coming together nicely. If I had one constructive criticism (and it is only one), I'd say the banners are a little simplistic for the look of the figures.

I find it tricky striking a balance between the look of the figure and the simplistic heraldry mentioned in Martin's books. I'm reevaluating my own banners and looking at how Medieval banners, particularly those with plainer surfaces, were often embellished with simple textured effects and minor details to decoratively fill the space. I'm thinking of flags like the Oriflamme and the WoTR/Tudor standards which often repeat the motifs in miniature and have decorative borders in contrasting colours etc. It seems to me also that the main standards of each house lend themselves more to the pseudo C15 style? where even the mottoes could be used
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=medieval+standards+and+banners&espv=2&biw=2240&bih=1202&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBh6yX3d3KAhWGShQKHfqvBoEQsAQIJg&dpr=0.75#imgrc=dDBuO-on4GwRQM%3A
Martin uses the sigils as a means of expressing affiliation to a group/house, which is a simplistic factional style of heraldry used historically up until the C13. As individuals became increasingly enclosed inside a metallic carapace, particularly shielding the face from view, heraldry evolved accordingly to help identify the individuals within.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »
Here are a few Stark and Lannister flags I did with exactly what you said in mind

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »
I get your point about the banners, and I'm certainly not against replacing them at a later date if I can work out a more exciting alternative!

For what it's worth, two of the banners I've posted which I did myself are definitely among the super-simple designs I chose to try first.

The Bracken banner (red stallion) is simple but I think works the best.

I'd love to design some 'proper' banners like this using the GRRM houses, but would be at a loss as to what to fill it all up with. And wouldn't have the technical know-how to do something so complicated!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
I do the lettering of the Flags by printing them in the right size and then copying them on the flag design . Then you only have to fill in the colors .

You can do this then too:

I mean the ribbon with the motto on the flagstaff. Didn't have a better picture sorry