Forum > Cold War Reference Repository

Sticky for Cold War Gaming Rules?

(1/4) > >>

Mako:
Seems like we could use these for people new to the period, who are looking to start off on the right foot.

Obvious candidates include the following rules which are currently available now, as well as some which are out of print but perhaps still useful, and the new ones coming out soon:

Oldies but Goodies - Out of Print, but still useful:

Tractics - one of the best sets (only sets) from back in the 1970s.  Included stats and rules for both WWII and the "Modern" period.  Armor rules and stats, infantry rules and stats, artillery, air support, chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons attacks, building fortifications, combat demolitions, setting buildings on fire, etc., etc..  These rules pretty much had it all, back in the day.  Recommended for smaller battles/skirmishes.

Combat Commander (I think that's what it was called - had a supplement too, as well, IIRC.  Battlefield Commander, possibly.  Note - I think someone else is now using the "Combat Commander" name too, for a different set of rules - the ones mentioned above were 8.5" x 11" format, with slick, white covers, and green ink/drawings on the outside.) - used cards for determing combat outcomes instead of D10 dice, since those were a bit rare, back in the "prehistoric period".  Appeared to be a very comprehensive set for back in the day - 1980s, with lots of info on tactics, TO&Es, etc.  Worth seeking out, if you want to game the earlier periods of the Cold War, up through the late one.

Current Rules:

Fistful of Tows 3 - apparently quite good for quick-play battles with micro-armor, though of course you can use other scales too.  Geared for larger scenarios with lots of armor.  Uses D6 dice

Tank Wreck - another set of quick-play rules, for large battles.  Uses D10 dice.

WRG 1950 - 1970, and various iterations, up to about 2000, or so.  If I recall correctly, the earlier version is available free, for download as well.

Challenger

Challenger II

Challenger 2000

Lots of others that I've forgotten about/overlooked, so worth checking into.  I suspect others will be along shortly to list their favorites, and/or products, soon.

Note - some/many of the above may be out of print, but you should still be able to find them with a little searching, I suspect.

Soon to be Released Rules:

I Ain't Been Nuked Mum (perhaps with a more PC title, when officially released, though I do like this catchy title, myself) - company level Cold War rules, apparently very similar to the "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" WWII rules.  Playtest battle accounts of these look good.  Can't wait for them - no current release date target that I can recall.

SabreSquadron - company level (plus?) rules, similar to the above, and with lots of nice, pre-release, playtest battle accounts as well.  These have gone to print, and are scheduled for release in Sept. 2015, if all goes according to plan.  Looking forward to them.

There is a free set of beta rules from the publisher, if you e-mail them for a copy.  Worth checking out.

Battlefront's Flames of War - Cold War - rules and vehicles/troops/air support are due out in Oct. or Nov. of 2015.   Looks like they will be releasing some nice miniatures for the mid-1980s period, and they produce some other kit now, in 15mm scale, which are useful for the 1950s - 1970s too.  Hopefully, an expanding range with more minis for the early and mid-Cold War periods as well.

Hopefully, that's a decent start that some/many of you interested in Cold War gaming will find useful.

Arlequín:
Yes I agree, a suitably sticky worthy topic.  :)

Obviously, suggestons with short reviews are invited for this thread.

SBRPearce:
The "Cold War Gone Hot" expansion for Ambush Alley's Force on Force rules.

frank xerox:
Contact - written as a training aide for the Canadian army in the late 70s, early 80s. Uses data cards for common troops & weapon systems. Percentage roll for a single combined hit/suppressed/kill result. Good artillery system, good bit of info on soviet tactics & organisation included and soviet tactics seem to workin the game.
Bloody but quick & fun. Based on the WRG set apparently but Ive not played those so couldnt say for sure.

Arlequín:
Thanks gents... I think it might be helpful if the 'level' (i.e. platoon, company, brigade etc) of the rules is also mentioned too though.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version