Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Terramortis 7 day Kickstarter is live!  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
[KICKSTARTER] Terramortis 7 day Kickstarter is live!
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
Greetings all!
My name is Andrew May, for the last couple of years I have been working as a freelance miniatures sculptor, creating wargaming figures for several well know companies plus private collectors. In addition I run my own miniatures business "Meridian Miniatures". I have found Kickstarter to be an excellent way of launching new miniature ranges to the general public without interfering with my busy schedule of freelance sculpting. So now I return with my latest project: Terramortis, heroic scaled gothic sci fi miniatures.

http://imgur.com/6j6SZll For larger image.

http://imgur.com/D26yvkH For larger image.

Shown above are the initial miniatures, either as pre production resin castings or my original sculpted masters. These are my most ambitious figures to date, created over the last year, combining digital modeling with traditional hand sculpting. In each of my previous campaigns I have tried to avoid leaving to much ambiguity between the miniatures promised and the actual product you will recieve, where possible I try to avoid relying on renders and "concept art". Some "stretch goals" to aim for during this campaign will be illustrated using digital renders and I may throw in the odd sketch to show an idea or concept but feel I have built up the reputation for delivering on promises by this stage that you won't be disappointed.

Thank you to any and all that come on board to back this project, I appreciate all support offered. Meridian Miniatures is a "one man band", I do 90% of the sculpting, painting and promo by myself with much needed support form a small number of others. If you like what I do then please take 5 mins to share this campaign with your friends, be it on social media, blogs or forums and you will have my sincere gratitude.

Andrew

Visit the campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004599158/terramortis
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:38:23 PM by Andrew May »

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Terramortis 7 day Kickstarter is live!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
Any chance of some size comparison pics with other miniatures ranges?

The sculpting on these is really really good but I'm not sure their my cup of tea.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Any chance of some size comparison pics with other miniatures ranges?

The sculpting on these is really really good but I'm not sure their my cup of tea.

Will get on it soon.
Cheers!

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:17 AM »
Thanks to all of you that have given your support to me over the last few days and previously on Facebook and elsewhere online. Unfortunately this campaign has stalled sufficiently for me to decide to cancel.
Up to this date I have found Kickstarter to be an excellent way of launching new miniature ranges to the general public without interfering with my schedule of freelance sculpting but in my excited rush to bring these figures to the public found myself barely stopping to listen to feedback. I would rather have my supporters wait for the figures a little longer while I revise them and broaden their appeal than barely scrape to target and have them moulded and cast prematurely (as it turns out) in the range's development.

Across the various forums I have received some helpful constructive criticism, points being that the figures seem too "wide" and that the legs appear short in proportion to the bodies. This is due to a combination of factors. Firstly I tried to emulate the dynamic posing of some of my favourite figures, due to the foreshortening affect of photographing them from certain angles the legs of some figures ended up seeming shorter than they really are. This was exacerbated by my overladening the thighs and midriffs of some of the figures with too many belts and other accouterments, thus obscuring the true outline of the figure's limbs.

Designing a good figure is as much about designing a figure that will look good in a photograph as in the hand, I unfortunately made some poor design choices in that regard. One other design choice that didn't find favour with many were the weapon designs. I tried for something too "over the top" and so will be toning them down a touch too while providing more options for gamers and collectors.

So see here the figures awaiting surgery, for the avid fans don't be saddened, these figures will return in new and improved form. Some figures will be disassembled and cannibalised into new versions, some will receive just minor tweaks and some will be entirely resculpted from scratch.

I will try to get the first figure released within a month and have at least one release each month from then on but having learned my lesson I won't be rushing anything! I will be using a new blog to document the progress both in regards to the figures and also game design, background development plus general painting and modeling posts.

You can find the blog here: http://terramortiswargame.blogspot.co.uk/

Sorry for the duplication of text.

Also be sure to follow my progress on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meridian-Miniatures/278329682295664

Please feel free to join in in the comments section, I will really enjoy listening to feedback and working with all of my supporters. Thank you all. Andrew

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2004599158/terramortis/posts/1336944

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
Sorry to hear it's stalled, but sounds like for all the right reasons - so a good call. You'll be back on track in no time!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV