Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper and Wargames Factory Compatibility  (Read 3162 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Reaper and Wargames Factory Compatibility
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »
All,

Let me modify my question.  The Wargames Factory figures suit my purposes for human warriors.  Can anyone weigh in on whether they are compatible with the Reaper Skeleton Warriors?  I really don't relish the idea of assembling plastic skeletons.
     I should add, that I did get a vague response to my question from Reaper, that if I am using "standard" 28mm figures I will be okay.  I know from experience, that Reaper figures tend to run large, their "Tomb Guards" are close to a head taller than 28mm Pulp and Statuesque minis.

Nick

Seeing Mad Doc Morris's piece, I figured I would reach out to the group.  I grew up on "Sword and Sandal" movies, always loved the Greek Myths. I am in the early planning stages.  I decided that I would get Skeleton Warriors and Medusa from Reaper, who offers 1 piece models of these in the Bones range.  They also do a very nice Hercules and Perseus.  Knowing that Reaper minis tend to be large, I am wondering where to go for my Hoplites and civilians/characters.  The Bronze Age models are great, but look to be around 34mm tall, so I am not sure if they will fit well with the Reaper models.  I'm still up in the air regarding rules as well.  I know that Pulp Alley will work and an old friend mentioned that he uses a skirmish version of Hordes of the Things. I'm not too keen on learning any new rules systems, rather stick with what I know.

Nick
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:06:12 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
Re: My Greek Myth Project
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
I'm thinking about the same thing - my lad is currently listening to CD's telling the old Greek myths and I thought about getting the Wargames Foundry figures with minotaurs, harpies, medusa and the Argonauts and other heroes.

As to rules - one of the Song of... Series might work and it's quite simple. Or perhaps Open Combat. 7th Voyage from Crooked Dice sounds interesting.

Personally I've just picked up Heroquest so I plan to adapt and use that to start the little fella on this oh so addictive hobby.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
Don't think you will face major issues when using the known 28mm ranges alongside those Reaper models. Actually, most of the Greek models by Foundry and particularly the heroic ones are fairly bulky. Also, I wouldn't care too much if monsters and half-gods are a bit out of proportion – they're larger than life creatures after all. ;)

If you tell us what rules you're accustomed to, we could perhaps find something that fits the bill.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Doc,
       Okay, so you think if I got the Reaper skeleton warriors etc., and say the Warlord or Wargames Factory plastic Greeks, they would be compatible?  I would assume that the skeleton warriors should still be human sized.
      Rules?  Well as I said, Pulp Alley will work, Hordes of the Things/DBA will work with single figures, and I think I can tweak The Sword and the Flame to work as well.  I prefer simple rules with a minimum of charts.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
No clue about Wargames Factory, but (most of) Warlord's classical period Greeks are former Immortal Miniatures, so pretty slender and smallish. They probably don't suit your needs.
If you want plastic figures, try Victrix. As far as I know they were designed to fit in with figures sculpted by Steve Saleh. For my money Foundry is the best choice, though.
Personal view's that I would rather choose the heroes first and then see what creatures will be compatible. Under most circumstances encounters should be short anyway. ;)

If you're already using "Pulp Alley", perhaps stick with that. From what I gathered it's pretty versatile and doesn't require a lot of modding. "Songs of…" and "Open Combat" are equally easy to grasp, and I've seen both used for Ancients skirmish gaming without issues.

PS: Here is a comparison shot of a Foundry figure and Bronze Age hoplites by LeadAsbestos.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
Thanks.  Just thinking about plastic to give the option for larger skirmishes between groups of soldiers.

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
Re: Reaper and Wargames Factory
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
I second the use of Victrix for the Greeks.  They scale well with the Reaper miniatures I already have.  Here is an old pic of Reaper's Perseus and some Victrix Greeks form my Mythology project. 

As for the skeletons I can't really comment as I use the old GW plastics.  I have been tempted by Reaper's though.  Have you thought about looking at Ironwind Metals (Ral Partha) skeletons? I have a bunch of their monsters that scale well. They might be a tad smaller but I think a human skeleton without all the fleshy bits would look smaller. 

I use a Greek Myth version of Lord of the rings as my rules.  I've been meaning to take a look at 7th Voyage and Pulp Alley.  How do you like Pulp Alley for pre firearms gaming?

Justin

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
Justin,
          Thanks for the input.  I'm leaning towards the Reaper skeleton warriors simply because they are one piece castings, being in the Bones Range.  This would be my first go at Pulp Alley for pre-firearms, but there has been discussion on the Pul Alley Forum about it.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
I've painted a few bones 1 and 2 skeletons and the details tend to be a bit soft and hard to pick out. I've started replacing the heads with spares and adding extra details. You may find the Bones 2 skeletons have weapons which are for later periods, but I think they are better castings than the Bones 1 skellies.

I've got some WF skeletons and they aren't too bad to assemble. They come with weapons and shields which suit the sword and sandal period pretty well.

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
 those skellies are small for reaper they should work well with wargames factory I don't have any greeks except for the amazons but I do have some of the wargames Zulu and orcs I could snap you a pic tomorrow if youd like as I have the bones skellies also

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
All,
      Thanks for the input.  I finally did order Wargames Factory Greeks and skeletons etc., from Reaper.  They all seem to match up just fine.  I was quite surprised at the size of the Wargames Factory figures, probably 43mm to the top of the head.