Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone here played Bushido?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Anyone here played Bushido?
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
The hardest part for me about being into Samurai type games is finding others to play with, there is no space in the house to have people around to play so I tend to play games at the local game store. While the guys at my local game store are more than happy to try Ronin and Daisho if I supply both forces many of them already into Bushido. With a store Campaign coming up me and the girlfriend both decided to get involved.

Was just curious who of you guys have played Bushido? Would you mind giving me your thoughts about how it plays, what you think of the models and what faction you went for.

Thanks

Offline parcival42

• Assistant
Re: Anyone here played Bushido?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:27 AM »
I'm in the same boat you're in Carlos. I can't get many people to play Samurai games, and when I heard there were quite a few people into Bushido at a local store I figured I'd pick it up.  I haven't actually got to play it yet (first game is next week), but I've picked up quite a few models, painted them up and made objective markers.  I think I've read the rules through 5 times.  They actually seem pretty fun, although complex compared to Ronin and Daisho.

As far as the models go, I feel they're a mixed bag.  Some of them are spectacular, but there are quite a few that look subtly off for some reason, either because they're too stiff or slightly out of proportion.  I chose Temple of Ro-Kan for the Monks and kami.  I want to like Savage Wave, but the bakemono just look too much like Pathfinder goblins.

What have you and your wife decided on for factions.  Have you read through the rules?  What do you think of them?

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
Ive gone for Tengu she has gone for Ito. Her because she liked the snake people models and me because I have no other Tengu in my collection. Was tempted by silvermoon though.

I have had a small demo game so far an enjoyed it.

I agree with you about the models some are wonderful and some are less so. I really like most of the Silvermoon and Savage wave stuff for example. Interestingly while you pikced the temple I found their model range the one that appeals to me the least. In their starter set for example I only really like the guy on the turtle.

The rules seem interesting, a little more complex in terms of the number of different skills available then I am used to but I figure I will learn them with time. Only got my models this week so they are not painted yet. In fact the rain has meant they are not even primed.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »
I struggled greatly with the triumph of graphic design over clarity on the game cards. Then I was disappointed by indifferent customer service when they switched to 2nd Ed.

I play Ronin or the Samurai Song of Blades and Heroes variant now using the Bushido miniatures I'd already bought.
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
I struggled greatly with the triumph of graphic design over clarity on the game cards.

Agreed. I thought (hoped?) it just looked bad on my tablet screen but once I received some real cards, they're terribly difficult to read.

Boy, I sure do love the miniatures though.

I think I'll likely use Ronan or Daisho rules myself.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
I think the main issue with the game is the overuse of special rules per miniature, which makes it somewhat a grinding Combo- or Power-Game. I was a fan from the start but after a long pause I tried to get into it once more with 2nd edition rules - the leader of my warband alone (Ro-Kan) has around 14 special powers/attacks/rules. Then I realised that there are more intuitive but still flavourful rulesets around (Ronin, Daisho, ..), so I moved on. But there is no reason you should not play other rulesets with the miniatures (some of them are excellent indeed) ;)
Apart from that I consider the Bushido fluff a bit "meh".

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
I have a few starter boxes but sadly haven't built them or played the game. I do have their board game coming at some point from Kickstarter, which is also supposed have some cards to allow some of the minis to be playable in Bushido. I'm hoping it will be a game to get played occasionally mainly so that I have an excuse to build some Japanese-themed terrain.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
...so that I have an excuse to build some Japanese-themed terrain.

This.

I want to make a cinematic board full of cherry blossoms, shallow rocky streams, and dark alcoves with hidden kappa and tengu.

By the way, does anyone make kappa in 28 - 32mm?

Offline gnorhk

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:55 AM »
Thanks @gnorhk

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
Yeah I have daisho and ronin as well and will probably use the bushdio Tengu in all three.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Yeah I have daisho and ronin as well and will probably use the bushdio Tengu in all three.

Only potential issue is basing problems, but that's more of an opponent thing than anything else there unless you're planning tournament play...where Ronin has a few direct issues that need to be tournament packeted.