Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The campaign game conundrum  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
The campaign game conundrum
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
Here's a small problem I've had with Frostgrave, Mordheim and SOBH. I lovingly design and paint (most of the time) my starting warband. Then I play a few games and the original models don't work anymore because of upgrades, deaths and replacements. I've got enough minis from various sources now that it's not a big problem with human warbands.

For Frostgrave I gave most of the plastic henchmen to my kids. I decided to make a necromancer and undead warband for myself using a mix of Reaper Bones and left over GW skeletons. Original warband was wizard, apprentice, 2 thieves, 2 thugs, 2 archers and 1 knight. After the first battle I wanted a crossbowman/marksman so I kitbashed one. After the 3rd battle I upgraded my thugs to men at arms. Originally thought of just blu tacking on some shields but with my complusion to have wysiwyg options I found a couple of armoured skellies in the Bones pile. Then I decided that I might want options for at least one of each of the soldier types...

So last night I spent an hour or so pawing through bits boxes and unassembled sprues looking for options. I've come up with models for everything except an apothocary. My ranger and treasure hunter are just the frostgrave plastics with skull heads. The barbarian, marksman and tracker are slightly more unique kitbashes from various sources. So now my 10 man warband is numbering about 20 men but I think I've got the bases covered. I need to do some gluing and a bit of green stuffing then I'll try to put up some pics. Some of the mix and match isn't perfect but overall I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
Re: The campaign game conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
Hi Zinkala,
I'd think you would agree that as far as "problems" in gaming go, needing 20 miniatures instead of 10 to fully cover soldier upgrades is still pretty minor, As you have demonstrated, it just requires a bit of creativity (although I know some of us will choose specific upgrades solely based on what new figures we want to add into the mix)
- GCrab
Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Definitely not a huge problem. I'm loving the current era of multipart plastic minis for this too. I can handle most options with what's already in the bits box but still would like to buy a bunch more sets for more options. I don't have any Perry or Fireforge plastics yet and they are tempting.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
Fireforge and Frostgrave match perfectly...