Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40k Nostalgia Project - Update: Plague Marines!  (Read 11271 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: 40k Nostalgia Project - Update: Be'lakor the Demon Prince
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »
Still digging through my backlog so I can update this thread.

I also painted up a five-man squad of Chaos Raptors back in December 2016. Based on my research, it appears these guys are the “middle school” Chaos Raptors that were released after the original (fairly unpopular) metal bat-winged models but before the current plastic set. The newest models definitely capture that hard-edged Chaos vibe, but I prefere these older models. Something about the smooth aerodynamic helmets and jet packs, and the grasping taloned feet just says “RAPTORS!” to me.

More on the blog: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/more-reavers-the-midnight-vultures/

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: 40k Nostalgia Project - Update: Chaos Raptors!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
Yarp. Of the three incarnations, they are the best. Juan Diaz?
I like the lightening, very cool

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »
I'm not sure about the bird feet, but I love the jetpacks and those are definitely the best of all the raptor incarnations.

Great work.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 03:34:28 AM »
I loved those models!  Great looking figures but terribly top heavy and prone to doing unseemly, paint-chipping faceplants  :o.  After some disappointment and touchups I ended up rebasing them on larger 40mm stands to keep them upright.  I can't remember if it was to my advantage or not during gameplay but I was a much happier painter.  That squaddie precariously balanced on that half wall took me down memory lane :) .  Nice looking squad and where did you get that terrain piece?  Very neat looking.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »
I loved those models!  Great looking figures but terribly top heavy and prone to doing unseemly, paint-chipping faceplants  :o.  After some disappointment and touchups I ended up rebasing them on larger 40mm stands to keep them upright.  I can't remember if it was to my advantage or not during gameplay but I was a much happier painter.  That squaddie precariously balanced on that half wall took me down memory lane :) .  Nice looking squad and where did you get that terrain piece?  Very neat looking.

You're so right about them being top heavy. I may end up rebasing them soon enough.

The terrain is part of a HALO Micro Ops toy playset. Pretty easy to find on Amazon. Works great out of the box for 28mm figures.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 05:46:19 AM »
OK, another update.
When I started my little 40k project last summer, I resolved to seek out and acquire some of the fantastic old metal figures that energized my imagination when I was younger.

At the top of the list were the old metal Plague Marines released in the mid-90s. These guys really fired my imagination — I mean, what other sci-fi milieu has evil space marines whose armor and flesh has been corrupted by centuries of sorcerous rot and demon-spawned decay?

They're not cheap to acquire, but I set myself a goal last year of tracking down a squad of metal Plague Marines to paint up. I finally got them onto my workbench in January. I found that the sculpts are very forgiving for my fast-and-dirty paint style. Here are the results.

Plenty more at the blog! I actually did 2 blog posts about these guys.

first one: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/new-paint-for-old-plague-marines/

second one: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/fully-painted-more-vintage-plague-marines/

Still a couple more stragglers to go before I've got a full 10-man squad!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
Re: 40k Nostalgia Project - Update: Plague Marines!
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
Classic look on those figures.  Great to see them again.  I wouldn't want to track them down again and pay through the nose to have them but really hoping GW will release some bloated fantasy warriors down the line like the bloodbound and servants of the changer of ways.  Your ruin is another really nice piece.  Details like that rebar are awesome :) .

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »
Cool always like a good plague marine and they're nicely painted. If I had one small comment/criticism I'd say their weapons are little bit to clean and silver maybe a bit more rust and dirt on them would be good?

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
Madness. beautiful, beautiful madness... :-* :-* :-*

I'm slowly slipping back into resurrecting my own Ahntiok VII setting (stripped down and de-beardified 3E rules, very much in a skirmish setting) and this is just the sort of stuff I (don't)* need to be reading! keep up the good work!

*I should be concentrating on 20mm Colonials for a display game at Carronade 2017...
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 04:52:20 AM »

I'm slowly slipping back into resurrecting my own Ahntiok VII setting (stripped down and de-beardified 3E rules, very much in a skirmish setting) and this is just the sort of stuff I (don't)* need to be reading! keep up the good work!

Um, I'm going to need to hear more about this Ahntiok VII setting as soon as possible, good sir!

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 05:39:59 AM »
Fantastic stuff, loving those plague marines  8) 8) 8)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2017, 12:05:58 AM »
We played a nice big game of One Page 40k last week. The game featured the debut of my new campaign setting, Caluphel Prime, which I'm slowly developing as a narrative backdrop for our 40k games. One Page 40k has quickly become our go-to alternative to regular ol' 40k. It's fast-playing, intuitive and suitably crunchy.

The game’s narrative picked up shortly after the first Imperial explorator teams landed on Caluphel and began to explore the lost colony world. Even as the Imperials reinforce their position on the peculiar planet, fragmentary intel suggests that they are not alone…

Read the full blog post, with lots of pics and a cool game handout: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/one-page-40k-recon-ops-in-jericho-station/

And here are a few pics from the game.

Read more about Caluphel Prime here: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/caluphel-a-40k-campaign-setting/

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Love the action shots Patrick!  I'm going to have to visit your blog and read up on your setting.  I really enjoy narrative gameplay and storytelling.  Seeing glam shots and reading about other people's stories really makes me want to return to the 40k uni myself.  It will have to wait a while because I'm looking at doing some AoS28 which is the fantasy equivalent of the Inq28 groups.  They make such beautiful stuff I really need to have a go at it.