Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Martian Empires  (Read 4233 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Martian Empires
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
We played a couple of quick pick up games at the club last night. Mainly to try and interest some of the other players in the rule set and VSF in general. We have been playing Martian games for years but had mainly used big battle HOTT.

The games consisted of short scenarios that highlighted a particular troop type or vehicle and how it interacted with the other troops.

We soon got to grips with the rules and a couple of things stood out. One is how powerful flyers are and the other was how poor at shooting Tharks were. The poor guys didn't stand a chance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:59:28 PM by swiftnick »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Martian Empires
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
...One is how powerful flyers are and the other was how poor at shooting Tharks were. The poor guys didn't stand a chance.

Thanks so much! I've got the rules, haven't yet had a go. I will keep my eye on this.

I like weak fliers; there, bothersome, but little real threat. May have to adjust some.

not-Tharks should probably be poor shooters, but in numbers to give one worry.

Doug

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »
Hi Doug,

I think the main issue was strength. The Helium navy had 5 flyers on the table so were able to just move around destroying the Thark units one by one. I might amend the FF for the Tharks though as I think 4 is just a bit low.
Sorry for the lack of pictures but I am struggling a bit with the interface between phone/photobucket and the forum..

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:36:12 AM by swiftnick »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
I will say I have to modify my comment about flyers. I like 'em deadly but vulnerable, or ineffective but safe. I played a game where there was boarding by folks standing on the ground. Never got high enough to pass by.

I know Tharks are tall, but not THAT tall. Cloudships are not hovercraft.

But I accept there's no Norton bombsight, that navigation shouldn't be pin-point. Flyers may be high ground, but if you can shoot, you should be able to be shot. Just, I think a player with a flyer should be able to make the choice.

Simplistic, I know.

Doug

Offline d6junkie

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
Hey Guys,
Nice pics.
We find in our Martian Empires games that the Tharks are a steamroller when used in mass. Airships show up every so often but tend to be pretty hit and miss on effectiveness. Hard to maneuver since you can't brigade them and have to individually order.
some of our games
http://martianwarlords.blogspot.com
Mike

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »
Coming from you that means a lot Mike. I had unfortunately left mt Martian cloth at home.
We actually chatted a few years ago when you built your first flyer. I believe you were planning to mass produce them?

Offline d6junkie

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
Still thinking of making more flyers, just can't seem to get the hulls right. But I put the project on hiatus because Mike at Blackhat was talking kickstarter for 15mm Airships.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
Oooh! 15mm airships would be awesome!
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!