Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Non-Magical leader  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
Non-Magical leader
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »

So every Wizard starts with the same stats:
 Move 6; Fight +2; Shooting +0; Armor 10; Will +4; Health 14.  Fight Shooting and Will are die roll modifiers.  In addition to these stats each new wizard get 8 spells to pick from.

So my thought for a non-magical expedition leaders would be to give the player 6 points to add to the above stat lines. I am giving the player only 6 points because there are six stats so you could add one to each and call it a day but you wouldn't be much better at anything than a typical wizard.    I haven't tried this out of course but I think it makes sense to limit them not spending more than 3 points on any one sat, this number just feels right to me. This means you could dump a lot of point on one stat and make it very good or you can spread it out and be a jack of all trades.   Add three points to you fight and three to your Armor and you are hash melee combatant for example.   Want to play a classic D&D ranger +1 to your move; +3 shooting, +1 fight and +1 Armor you'll be good a ranged fighting and able to take care of your self close in.

The sidekick (apprentice) would be generated in a manner similar to  the book by taking the leader score and subtracting 2 from fight, shooting, will and health. (A wizard's apprentice actually has 10 for health so I am making the side kick a little more robust as a compensation for not having magic)

For now I plan on playing with wizards but if you want to try something else this might give you a starting point.

http://fencingfrog.blogspot.com/2015/08/frostgave-without-wizards-and-primitive.html

Offline Pippa

• Schoolboy
Re: Non-Magical leader
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
Interesting idea and should work well. Would you still allow it to upgrade through experience gained? it might need limiting if so, as not having to upgrade spells would mean all your experience could go into stats.

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
Interesting idea and should work well. Would you still allow it to upgrade through experience gained? it might need limiting if so, as not having to upgrade spells would mean all your experience could go into stats.

That is a potential problem that I confess I had not considered.  One possibility is create leadership skills/orders that are being discussed in another area.

Another possibility is allow cap the skill but let the non-magical leader give points to his followers rather than himself. 

Offline Pippa

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
In my experience, which has been playing with very basic wizards, spells aren't particularly reliable, which coupled with the fact you can't use spells in close combat, would definitely give a leg up to the non-magical leader at the beginning of a campaign. Whether that would switch later on as the Wizard has upgraded his spells to make them more likely to work, I can't say.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
A similar thread from like last week here. :)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81633.0