Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: constructs?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
constructs?
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm still in the process of building my warband, so I haven't actually played a game yet. I was looking at the spells and stats in the book for an enchanter warband. Looking at the stats for constructs, I couldn't figure out why I would turn any model into a construct. There must be some benefit to doing it, but I just didn't see it.

So can anyone explain to me why or when I should take the construct spells on an enchanter?

thanks!

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
Re: constructs?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:51:04 PM »
Well, they're bought and replaced for free (out-of-game cast), but the fact that they take up a warband slot is tough.  

Only the large construct has stats worthy of a slot in the long run.  Their movement is what really kills them for me though. I've house-ruled all constructs movements up by 1".  So Large Const. is 5" movement, Med. is 6", and small is 7".  This makes them more competitive I think, without unbalancing them.  It makes sense that since a small construct is shorter than a normal human, it might be a little faster too.  Likewise, I don't think a Knight in full armor should be able outrun a large construct, so a move stat of 5" also makes sense.

I think this simple change is all that's needed, especially when so much of the game is about movement.  The "Hunt for Golem" mini-campaign helps constructs too, but campaign results can't be guaranteed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:52:58 PM by Dakota Mike »

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
 :) So I didn't miss anything. Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »
We were looking at removing the slot requirement so creating one is extra to the warband strength, otherwise they are a bit of a liability at lower wizard levels.

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:16 AM »
:) So I didn't miss anything. Thanks for clearing that up!

Well, I don't think I'm the final word by any means, but you're welcome if it helped!

Offline JoyrexJ9

• Student
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
We were looking at removing the slot requirement so creating one is extra to the warband strength, otherwise they are a bit of a liability at lower wizard levels.
It's strange that the Necromancer's raised Zombies don't count against the warband limit, but constructs do.
I was thinking of trying the Enchanter out next game, but the constructs really aren't that good are they?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
Yeah I agree that it would make more sense to count him outside the member's limit like a raised zombie that way you don't have to leave an empty slot on the gamble of succeeding with the spell

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »
I think one of the major problems is that except for the large construct, a soldier is better in all respects for the slot it occupies. And even then the large is so slow that its only real use is as a bodyguard and walking wall.

The only advantage of leaving that slot open is you can use the gold to make your other soldiers better troops. But that is a dicey decision given that numbers beat quality every time. Leaving the slot open is a definite gamble.

It would be nice if constructs had some sort of advantage to balance out the speed disadvantage and the hoops required to get them. No slot would be a nice start.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
Well, constructs never count as wounded, so remain at full effectiveness until destroyed. And they're immune to some spells. So it's not all bad.

As for zombies, the reason they don't count towards the limit is that they only last one game.

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
True, but wounded is an optional rule. The spell immunity is a good point, but kinda situational. Unless you are playing wounded or your opponent brings those spells, you are left with a really slow soldier with poorer fighting ability but slightly more armor and health that you have to dice for in order to get (albeit for "free", spell slots not withstanding).

In a smash and grab game, speed and combat effectiveness outweigh the staying power. Don't get em wrong, I love my big ol'  rocky construct, but it's totally a style over substance choice for me.

Offline rosafari

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »
I've put a question about constructs and warband slots in the FAQ thread - wondering if it's possible to hedge your bets..

Enchanters can take Push for a casting value of 10 - just point your Large Construct at the centre of the table and give it a kick start! :)

Offline JoyrexJ9

• Student
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
The way Animate Construct is worded it sounds like you need to replace an actual soldier
"If the spell is successfully cast, the construct immediately becomes a member of the warband, taking the place of a soldier."

This could be interpreted that it replaces a living soldier, i.e. one you've paid for rather than an empty soldier "slot"
Which would suck even more!

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »
If it didn't take up the slot of a soldier, I'd be interested in the spell.