Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: German colonial - River boat Supplies game pt 2  (Read 3363 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
German colonial - River boat Supplies game pt 2
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »
German colonial - River boat Supplies game pt 2

Quick thought up game, kind of spur of the moment on the night, we thought lets do a German Colonial game with a river boat, supplies lines on either side of the river shore.

The river boat was given 16 points with the Victorian Steel rules, they would give fire support  to each side of the river, on board they had a artillery gun and one machine gun, the idea was to get the supplies to the end of the 18ft table.

Each side was supported by Sudanese infantry that was under control of the German command, the attackers were a random dice roll of Askaris supported by African shield, we also threw in a tribe with bows,although not a powerful unit they did cause a big problem in that once they hit on a dice 6 (6 needed to hit) they would again roll to see if the arrow was poisoned a 4,5,6 was rolled and the normal push back rule need not apply.

Great game great fun, the boat just made it to the end of the river with 4 points while the German left got a good bashing with the normal ambush rule, the right side did manage to get some supplies to the depot but with heavy casualties.

More photos on the website at http://www.victorian-steel.com/ enjoy and happy wargaming.

image posthosting 10mb limit[/url]

Germany was hardly a colonial power before the New Imperialism period, but would eagerly participate in this race. Fragmented in various states,

image hosting

photo hosting

it was only unified under Prussia's rule after the 1866 Battle of Sadowa and the 1870 Franco-Prussian War. A rising industrial power close on the heels of Britain, Germany began its world expansion in the 1880s.

upload foto

free photo upload

After isolating France by the Dual Alliance with Austria-Hungary and then the 1882 Triple Alliance with Italy, Chancellor Otto von Bismarck proposed the 1884–85 Berlin Conference, which set the rules of effective control of a foreign territory.

windows 7 screenshot

photo share

Weltpolitik (world policy) was the foreign policy adopted by Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1890, with the aim of transforming Germany into a global power through aggressive diplomacy, the acquisition of overseas colonies, and the development of a large navy.

upload img
Scenery GWS
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: German colonial - River boat Supplies game pt 2
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
Superb Malc..... we've really got to make it down.....

I'm at Border Reiver on Saturday and Partizan on Sunday- are you at either of these shows?

(I expect that since you were singularly unimpressed with Partizan last time the answer might well be no!) :)

Darrell.

Offline Iowa Grognard

• Assistant
    • My Site!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »
Wow, I have boat envy.

Excellent idea for a game.  I like the poison arrow effect for the tribesmen.  Was the boat on autopilot or did you the conflict have events which could influence its navigating of the river?

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:14 PM »
Great game I will have to try that scenario with our group,and try your rules out ..can't wait.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
An excellent idea for a game. It seems to me in most scenarios river steamers are confined either to moving troops or providing fire support, not as a unit in their own right with their own objectives. Your idea redresses that balance. Well done!  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
Answer to the questions, the river boat moved 6 inch at a time on each order of normal European movement, also as it suffered the hits - losing a third the boat went down to two rolls per turn, it was slow by the time it hit the bend.

Won't be going Partizan Darrell, sorry mate but that show is a no go for me after last time, next show i am at is the Derby show with the display game using Victorian Steel rules, looking forward to it as a number of people have booked up a spot  for a game, so should be busy and having a laugh.

Thanks for the comments guys and it would be great to hear people gaming this as it was different and interesting 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
Won't be going Partizan Darrell, sorry mate but that show is a no go for me after last time

Yeah, I thought as much after what you were saying.

next show i am at is the Derby show with the display game using Victorian Steel rules, looking forward to it as a number of people have booked up a spot  for a game, so should be busy and having a laugh.

I never get down to the Derby show so won't see you there- I'll have to have have to nag at Nige to get his ass into gear ; ) :)

Darrell.

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »
Get him to arrange to visit, will put on a great game of Indian Mutiny Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
Get him to arrange to visit, will put on a great game of Indian Mutiny Darrell.

Will do. I'll report back ASAP :)

Darrell.