Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: rules clarification - shooting at a charging target  (Read 2306 times)

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
rules clarification - shooting at a charging target
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
Hi everybody, I am new to IHMN and I just played my first game. A question that kept coming up was - can you shoot at someone who entered in contact with you during the movement phase? What I mean is, can you shoot at him not during the fighting phase with a pistol, but during the shooting phase, as you would to a normal moving target? Thanks for your help in advance
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: rules clarification - shooting at a charging target
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
I believe the answer is yes, with one handed shooting weapons but not Arc weapons. The shooting is during the shooting phase and the target gets a modifier based on his speed.

Page 14 in the rules under section 3.3.4 gives the rule and an example.

Enjoy.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »
Sir Skrapwelder is indeed correct in his rules references. Though I suspect that Mr Cortese was thinking along the lines of using his trusty shotgun or military rifle - please excuse me if my assumptions are incorrect.
The auld wargaming adage of levelling ones rifles at a charging foe works well enough on a battlefield where the distances involved allow for aimed volleys as the natives close the gap over the period of a minute or two, no doubt uttering bloodcurdling cries as they do so.
In the confines of a skirmish game, however, the distances are so much shorter, as is the length of a turn, so it would be a very quick witted chap indeed who could get a shot off with a rifle at a man dashing just a few yards to contact. Perhaps that should become a talent? (scribbles furious note)
In conclusion, and unless Sir Charles informs me otherwise, you cannot get a shot off with a two-handed shooting weapon in the turn that your target moves into contact with you.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
Sir Skrapwelder is indeed correct in his rules references. Though I suspect that Mr Cortese was thinking along the lines of using his trusty shotgun or military rifle - please excuse me if my assumptions are incorrect.
The auld wargaming adage of levelling ones rifles at a charging foe works well enough on a battlefield where the distances involved allow for aimed volleys as the natives close the gap over the period of a minute or two, no doubt uttering bloodcurdling cries as they do so.
In the confines of a skirmish game, however, the distances are so much shorter, as is the length of a turn, so it would be a very quick witted chap indeed who could get a shot off with a rifle at a man dashing just a few yards to contact. Perhaps that should become a talent? (scribbles furious note)
In conclusion, and unless Sir Charles informs me otherwise, you cannot get a shot off with a two-handed shooting weapon in the turn that your target moves into contact with you.

Dear Craig and Skrapwelder

thank you for taking time to answer my question.  Craig has indeed been very perspicacious in grasping my implicit assumptions - namely that I wanted to use my trusted rifle and not just my pistol. And yet his line of reasoning is very persuasive and I believe you both got it right. No rifles, then... sob...

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:52 AM »
No rifles, then... sob...

Chin up old chap. Put a bayonet on it, take the Bayonet Drill Talent, and teach those unwanted interlopers the meaning of cold steel. They don't like it up 'em you know.