Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690900
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: additional optional rules (Random monster/treasure spawner added)  (Read 4161 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
additional optional rules (Random monster/treasure spawner added)
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:54:39 PM »
Have had a few ideas to add some more flavor to the game:
1) trapped treasures, make a chart with spells and attacks and blanks going from 1-20. First time a treasure is picked up roll on chart to see if it was trapped. Can be ignored by treasure hunters.
2) trapped buildings. When in a building, Every model that makes a second move or a move that is greater than half their move stat (players pick before) will roll on the chart used for trapped treasures, ignored by theaf.
3) hidden monsters and treasures. Make a chart similar to random encounters but with 1/3 monsters, 1/3 treasures, 1/3 blank. The first time a game a room is entered by a model roll 2 dice on chart. The player who is exploring the room will place any monsters and opposing player any treasures.
4) pack mule. For 100g a player may buy a pack mule that does not take a slot in warband. A member of the warband that is not a dog, construct,undead, or demon must stay in contact with the mule to lead it. It may move with the leader and when left alone will stay still. It can carry 4 items that can be transferred to any model in base contact as 1 action. Can also carry 2 treasures transferred in the same way. If left alone it will try and flee any hostile models within 12in and line of site during the creature phase. HP and move up for debate.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:09:18 AM by racm32 »

Offline Green_Knight

• Librarian
Re: additional optional rules
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
1) makes Treasure Hunters far more worthwhile, why not include Thief to be immune
    As optional Rule it is ok  (but i won't use it cause i don't like it)

2) and 3) as 1) sounds good as an optional rule, but i won't use it cause we Play 4 Player games and that one can drag games on

4) like the Mule idea, i would reduce the Slots to 3 on the mule and allow them to carry treasure and/or items.
    Also would add that a mule without an owner wanders randomly and can be picked up by anyone (so hostile models would only be
    Non-Soldiers)

5) new Warrior Type:  Dog Handler (100 gp)
    Stats like a Tracker without Bow, allows you to include an additional Dog and gives all Dogs in 3 inches +1 Fight

-----------------------------------------------------
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »
Great ideas for optional rules.I'm not sure traps are neede when playing against other warbands but could make solo play more interesting. The mule and dog handler ideas sound worth a try.thanks for sharing

Offline Morray

• Bookworm
  • I'm a Snow Troll...Boo!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
I love the optional rule ideas, I still aint got a game in, wont for a couple of weeks as I'm painting and making scenery but been thinking of additonal things I'd like to see.

A special rule for every soldier type, like you've made.

Monster escalation - Every turn a wandering monster crops up from a random (1 - 6 "D6") set point on the board, as the turns go on and on more and more monsters come out.
 What this does is makes the game become a bot of a time bomb, so the task is to get to the treasure and get it off pretty quick, and it's not just about killing the opponent band to claim all treasure.
 Also it means you get to use loads of cool monsters! :D
I was thinking that you roll and random tables that get more and more tasty as the turns go on, so turns 1-3 the only monsters cropping up are skeletons and wolves/Rats...Then you get armoured Skeletons, Boars, Bears..etc etc you get the idea.

Also potentially thinking of making the 1-4 dead result on a wizard actualy just "Out for D3 turns"

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
The only reason I would add any rules is after reading Tales of the Frozen City. I don't feel like the rules really capture the mystery and lethality of the city.

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
Monster escalation - Every turn a wandering monster crops up from a random (1 - 6 "D6") set point on the board, as the turns go on and on more and more monsters come out.
 What this does is makes the game become a bot of a time bomb, so the task is to get to the treasure and get it off pretty quick, and it's not just about killing the opponent band to claim all treasure.
 Also it means you get to use loads of cool monsters! :D
I was thinking that you roll and random tables that get more and more tasty as the turns go on, so turns 1-3 the only monsters cropping up are skeletons and wolves/Rats...Then you get armoured Skeletons, Boars, Bears..etc etc you get the idea.

I like this idea. Some people feel the game needs a turn limit, so this helps to address this problem without imposing an arbitary and artifical turn limit.
Another variant could be :
At the end of each turn, each player rolls a dice and adds the total number of treasures that have been retrieved.
On a total of say 18+, the player rolls for a wandering monster:
18 - 19 - level 1
20-21 - level 2
22+ - level 3.
The player who rolled for the monster then rolls on the appropriate table and then chooses where to place the monster, at least 12" from any figure.
Random events could be added in a similar way, for example -
on a total of 25+ a snow storm starts brewing. The players have one more turn to get their figures off the table. After this, they drop all treasure and flee.

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
+1 for the mule and odg handler ideas

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:02:46 AM »
Pack animal sounds nifty, if only for the chance to get another nice mini on the table...  :-*
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:52:16 AM »
A special rule for every soldier type, like you've made.

I strongly suggested the above change and the possibility of wandering monsters around treasure tokens with the author during play testing but did not receive a reply.

I also suggested that two figures should be able to share the load of a treasure token and ignore the half Move penalty altogether, which seems reasonable.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »
Furt, I'm sorry if I did not reply to you during playtesting. I thought I responded to everyone, but was receiving a lot of emails at the time (still am, come to think of it!).  While I think that two figures carrying treasure idea is reasonable, I could make a good house rule, I was worried about having to legislate all of the rules questions it might cause, such as what if one figure ends up in combat?

For the basic game, I didn't want to make the soldier too complex - the focus of the game is supposed to wizards and spellcasting. That said, with the expansions there will be a slight increase in the variety of abilities of soldiers.

That said - if you want to make soldiers a more dynamic and complex part of the game, go for it! 

Offline Morray

• Bookworm
  • I'm a Snow Troll...Boo!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
Another variant could be :
At the end of each turn, each player rolls a dice and adds the total number of treasures that have been retrieved.
On a total of say 18+, the player rolls for a wandering monster:
18 - 19 - level 1
20-21 - level 2
22+ - level 3.
The player who rolled for the monster then rolls on the appropriate table and then chooses where to place the monster, at least 12" from any figure.
Random events could be added in a similar way, for example -
on a total of 25+ a snow storm starts brewing. The players have one more turn to get their figures off the table. After this, they drop all treasure and flee.

Yea this is a totally cool idea, love it. When I actually get around to getting a shed ton of games in we'll probably think about doing this.

@Joe5mc
 Does that mean there is a possibility that we will get a exp system for soldiers as well? Something simple like BloodBowl etc?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
I think, all I should say for now, is that I am looking to expand the experience, 'a little bit' in the not too distant future.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 03:07:08 PM »
Furt, I'm sorry if I did not reply to you during playtesting. I thought I responded to everyone, but was receiving a lot of emails at the time (still am, come to think of it!).  While I think that two figures carrying treasure idea is reasonable, I could make a good house rule, I was worried about having to legislate all of the rules questions it might cause, such as what if one figure ends up in combat?

For the basic game, I didn't want to make the soldier too complex - the focus of the game is supposed to wizards and spellcasting. That said, with the expansions there will be a slight increase in the variety of abilities of soldiers.

That said - if you want to make soldiers a more dynamic and complex part of the game, go for it! 

Don't get us wrong, we love your game. One of the things i love about it is how easily modified it is for each players preference. This thread is not about what you should have done different but rather ways to enhance upon the great foundation you have given us.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »
No offence taken.  If it makes the game more fun for you - do it.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
Hi Everyone, Just my 2c here.
The only problems I can see with some of these extra rules is that the game will end up being
bogged down with all the Extra stuff you can do/make/have.
Joe ( I take my hat off to you Sir for a really nice game ) Has come up with a really good, simple in structure, yet reasonably complex game, thats not got everyone heading for the rule book ever time someone rolls a D20.
That I think is a task all of its own.
The game is still in its infancy, and I can see it getting a Hell of a big following ,Provided it doesnt get to complex.
Having said this I think some of the extra rules that people are suggesting have merit.
It would do Joe and the game some justice if the people that have these ideas ,play test them , chew them over, knock off the rough corners and then post them in a thread dedicated to play tested ideas , how it changed the game for them, and what their friends thought , etc etc .
They could be made up into a downloadable pdf or just an idea sheet so other people could test them for themselves.
give them a few months,get feedback, then Joe could decide if it should go into the 2nd edition or kept as an
alternative /optional rule.
I love the figs for the game, the next lot look like they are going to be winners also.
The fact that you can combine them with non frostgrave figs is a real bonus.
My brother in law and I first got the book, and used the vikings we had , now weve got the figs, wizards and
Im making terrain like a man possesed :)
Sorry to ramble on, and please dont take this as a dig againts anyone, I would hate to see this turn into an avalanche of extra stuff and loose sight of the basic game .
When you can see a Dad playing this game with their kids, and also keeping us big kids happy ,
then someone has done something very special.
Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)