Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 671
Total: 676

Recent

Author Topic: Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' episode 1 review  (Read 37846 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' episode 1 review
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
This new TV adaptation (the Beeb's answer to A Game of Thrones) was mentioned in a thread about the upcoming Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie (*shudders in horrified anticipation*)

I haven't read the Cornwell books, but I hear they're pretty good.
The TV series doesn't actually air for a month yet, but apparently the critics have been shown the first episode...

The review in today's The Independent is quite interesting (although it does contain one spoiler, so be warned).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-last-kingdom-bbc--first-watch-game-of-thrones-fans-will-find-plenty-to-enjoy-10492017.html

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' episode 1 review
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
I really enjoy the books (the series is still ongoing) and like the way Uhtred's divided loyalties are played out.

In the books he is more in character like a Dane (a blanket term for the Scandinavian Northmen) - straightforward, brutal, living life in the moment. Yet his blood is Northumbrian and his kin belong to the kingdom of Mercia, so although he often allies himself with Danes to achieve his goals, he is drawn again and again into the cause of the emerging 'England' by serving the powerful kingdom of Wessex.

His naivety and one-dimensional view of statecraft leads to him being manipulated again and again by devious characters, out for themselves or pursuing an agenda that Uhtred doesn't understand.

It's all good stuff, I just hope the TV adaptation doesn't ruin the books.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
I will have to wait judging this until I have actually seen it. But for now the square shields and weird fantasy fur clothing does not fill me with confidence.

I like the books. Especially the first 3 after that I feel the books become a bit samey. Uthred gets in trouble, defies orders, sets sail and saves England by staging a massive battle where he kills the Viking chieftain.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
Well, just read the article and watched the clip, then threw up a bit in my mouth.  :'( >:(

Another chance for some nice history based visuals ruined by a producer who wants to stamp their own 'creative' mark on history. RECTANGULAR F**KING SHIELDS and FUR everywhere.  >:( >:( >:(

(This is entirely my own opinion based on a detailed knowledge of the period and should not detract from anyone's enjoyment of the series.)
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
Read the series and enjoyed it, though they are samey. I'll watch the series for entertainment too! Maybe tons of viewers will inspire them to do The Winter King series, and THEN I can get pissed off  abt inaccuracies!  ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
Really looking forward to this, fur and square shields as well, as the more series like this that get made, the better, in my opinion.
I know it is loosely 'based on fact' but dont let that get in the way of a good story and, hopefully, a good visual version of it.

I love the books and take them for what they are: fiction.
I shall be looking forward to the series in the same way.
 ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
Well, just read the article and watched the clip, then threw up a bit in my mouth.  :'( >:(

Another chance for some nice history based visuals ruined by a producer who wants to stamp their own 'creative' mark on history. RECTANGULAR F**KING SHIELDS and FUR everywhere.  >:( >:( >:(

(This is entirely my own opinion based on a detailed knowledge of the period and should not detract from anyone's enjoyment of the series.)

That was my thoughts too, I suppose they are trying for the general public to differentiate between saxon and Viking to show this

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
though they are samey.
Great fun reads...but Slightly repetative, 
the same way the shieldwall from the Clip is.  :)
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Have to echo others thoughts about the fur and shields.....especially the shields. Looks interesting otherwise. I hope they stay more faithful to the books than the 'Game of Thrones TV series, which seems to be moving more and more away from most of the books true events with every passing season.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:27:01 PM by cram »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
Will still watch it, just to know what the cool kids are talking about. Hope I'll do better than with Vikings; never got beyond its third episode. lol

Another chance for some nice history based visuals ruined by a producer who wants to stamp their own 'creative' mark on history.

Sadly it's not even "their own creative mark" but merely a rip-off of Game of Thrones aesthetics – which are, in turn, heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings and some random 90s fantasy TV series. Add to that some Sons of Anarchy cliches (for some reason bikers became the new cool) and you've got all visual ingredients for a contemporary histotainment show.

That said, I enjoy GoT, more than the books actually. But perhaps I'm more readily accepting awkward costumes and all-too-obvious cultural references because it's a genuine fantasy setting. However, despite Cornwell's usual drift into fantasy, his novels are at least based on history, and that should be represented in any adaptation. There were a lot of flaws in Sharpe, not the least regarding uniforms, yet most of them were down to a silly script (wolf dragoons…) and a shortage of funds, and they didn't substitute shakos for some fancy dreadlocks look.
Perhaps the BBC should rather stick with period drama written by unknown authors. They're better at things which don't have to be a commercial success, it seems. (And to all BBC haters: Even their bad stuff is way ahead of the crap produced by German television and cinema these days…)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
Really like the Uthred books despite them being indeed a bit repetitive and will certainly watch this series.
Let's hope they are successful so that the Warlord novels are also filmed.
Wonder who they would cast as my favourite hero Derfel? Well one of my favourite fiction heroes in fact. The other one is Kalliades but he's from another series of books :)

Maybe the BBC isn't all that it used to be, but they still produce series and mini- series light-years ahead of most the competition.
Anyone seen 'our' In Flanders Fields last year? Could have been a masterpiece but quickly degenerated into something truly abysmal.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for this one.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Great fun reads...but Slightly repetative, 
the same way the shieldwall from the Clip is.  :)

lol
Well spotted Paul.

Sadly it's not even "their own creative mark" but merely a rip-off of Game of Thrones aesthetics – which are, in turn, heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings and some random 90s fantasy TV series.

I so totally agree with you Mad Doc. Everything in this genre is so derivative of what has gone just before. It would be great to see a really original vision. Or in this case, a historically accurate one!

But I'm glad to hear that you and Willie are proud of the BBC's output - we Brits may not be very good Europeans as a rule, but we do have something for our neighbours to enjoy :)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
I had high hopes for this but they just took a bit of dive.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
Bring back Arthur and the Britons, Oliver Tobias might be a bit past it now though ( a bit like me )  lol
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
I'm a fan of the novels,watched the clip and was a little disappointed in the lead.Didn't Uthred have blonde hair,which more easily helped him pass as a Viking in many a situation in the books...I have a bad feeling about this  :(