Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warband: Hill Dwarves of the Red Mountain  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
Warband: Hill Dwarves of the Red Mountain
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
My Warband Hill dwarf army is coming along nicely.  Only a few units left to do.

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/warband-red-mountain-hill-dwarves-part-3.html

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: Warband: Hill Dwarves of the Red Mountain
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
Those are 10mm? Amazing detail for that size. Even on your blog, I would've liked to see em closer up. Great work though.

I always hate permanently basing figures in groups, since most times I end up playing some form of skirmish games (or even just D&D/Pathfinder). Your vignettes have so much character though, I'm awestruck.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
I agree that Pendraken could use your photos to promote their stuff.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
One for the little guys! The, er, little little guys. Looks like a great ensemble. :)

Didn't realise Pendraken had rules for their fantasy stuff. (besides the dungeon crawl rules) What's Warband like?

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
Here's a review by Dan Mersey.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/MattofMunslow/media/warband%20review_zpswhic8hzn.jpeg.html

I just ran an intro game this evening for a friend of mine who wanted to try them out.  By the end of turn 1 he'd figured out the rules.  By turn three he was saying 'there's so many tactics i can see here'.  At the end of the game, although the only wargame he plays is Warmahordes, he was talking about getting the rules and a wood elf army.  Warband seems to have that effect... :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:39:20 PM by Luddite »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »
Ha! I only just noticed you're the author. :D Well, the things that Dan likes sound like the things I like. (The review had me at 'between HoTT and Warmaster') Another addition to the reading list.

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »
Lovely little dioramas!
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Looks great! I've got to admit that I wasn't thinking too much about the Hill Dwarves released, but seeing these, am looking at them with new eyes. I especially enjoy the shieldwalls - Looks really great.

As for warband: I am curious and a little bit interested, having been on a Grand Battles Rules reading spree recently (Currently swaying between HotT and Mayhem! - Both seem like good fun), but the unusual basing kinda scares me. Is it playable on regular 40x20 or 40mm bases? I might pick up the rules just to have a read through on my next pendraken order, and could of course also just make some "movement trays".

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »
Looks great! I've got to admit that I wasn't thinking too much about the Hill Dwarves released, but seeing these, am looking at them with new eyes. I especially enjoy the shieldwalls - Looks really great.

I'm generally not a fan of dwarf models in most ranges, but the Pendraken ones are excellent.

As for warband: I am curious and a little bit interested, having been on a Grand Battles Rules reading spree recently (Currently swaying between HotT and Mayhem! - Both seem like good fun), but the unusual basing kinda scares me. Is it playable on regular 40x20 or 40mm bases? I might pick up the rules just to have a read through on my next pendraken order, and could of course also just make some "movement trays".

Warband uses large bases that are 100x50mm.  
This is designed to show off your skills modelling a great looking 'warband' vignette on each base.
However, you can use any base size you like, although its probably best to have both armies based the same.  
You can also use figures of any scale so you can pretty much use whatever armies you already have.

So with the DBx style basing (40x20) Warband works just as well.  All ranges, distances and table sizes are factored in 'base widths' specifically to allow you to use your current collections (from 6mm to 28mm).  That said, Pendraken produce sabot bases so you can put your current army onto 10x5cm Warband bases without having to rebase your figures.

FAQs here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11265.0.html

ADVERT ALERT:  Warband is available in hard copy from Pendraken, and pdf from Wargames Vault.   ;)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:56:28 AM by Luddite »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
I'm generally not a fan of dwarf models in most ranges, but the Pendraken ones are excellent.

Warband uses large bases that are 100x50mm.  
This is designed to show off your skills modelling a great looking 'warband' vignette on each base.
However, you can use any base size you like, although its probably best to have both armies based the same.  
You can also use figures of any scale so you can pretty much use whatever armies you already have.

So with the DBx style basing (40x20) Warband works just as well.  All ranges, distances and table sizes are factored in 'base widths' specifically to allow you to use your current collections (from 6mm to 28mm).  That said, Pendraken produce sabot bases so you can put your current army onto 10x5cm Warband bases without having to rebase your figures.

FAQs here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11265.0.html

ADVERT ALERT:  Warband is available in hard copy from Pendraken, and pdf from Wargames Vault.   ;)

I read through the review further up, and it does seem interesting. I definitely agree that the modelling potential of the basing is quite cool, and something I'd like to try my hand at at some point, but for now my modelling is very much focused on multi-use things, meaning I prefer my basing to be fairly generic. Still - Rules seem very interesting, and as you said; Pendraken produce sabot bases.

Thanks for the links and info :) I'll propably pick up the rulebook at some point, if nothing else, then because I greatly enjoy collecting printed rulebooks.