Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:21:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Booboo's Nexus miniatures log  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
Booboo's Nexus miniatures log
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:59:02 AM »
Last week I come home from work to discover a 2 kilogram package sitting on my recliner, covered in Royal mail markings.  This was a package from my good friend Drew Wood who is the brain child and founder of Nexus Miniatures and he was kind enough to gift me samples of line.  And when I say samples, I mean like the entire line, along with extras to showcase all the possible main "intended" conversions.  This included some 70 metal figures and about 7 LARGE resin figures, along with a few non-Nexus "extras" thrown in.  

Full disclosure, I'm the guy who has has been doing the majority of the artwork for Drew, but still, this was still a gift,, and a very generous gift at that.  So, the best way to thank the man is to log my progress painting thru the collection.

In this effort to thank Drew, I recorded the unboxing and transferred that video to my computer for editing and hoped to launch this painting log with that... Sadly my computer decided to crack-out and said video MIGHT be lost.   :-[  Well, not to let that stop me from giving a proper thank you to Drew for his generosity and launch my project log anyway.  At this stage I've gone through and assembled most of the resins and 80 percent of the metal, which can be seen below.  

And while I'm in a thank mood, I should thank the many talented sculptors that Drew has gathered together on this project.  Including Ian Mountain ( http://www.mountainminiatures.co.uk/  ), Martin Buck ( Let me know Martin   ), and Dave Stone   (  http://wargamesterrainworkshop.co.uk/   ), and has brought some other talented sculptors in for future releases (I'll update that later).  That full disclosure thing again, I did digitally sculpt two of the things here:  The skimmer (that flying ship), and the MATAT (that law enforcement robot, along with help from Dave on that one).  But anyway, this is a thanks to those sculptors for bringing to life some figures that when I was a kid I really REALLY wish I had (some particular alien Visitors come to mind)

And since a painting project log should always start with some actual painted figs, I figure i throw in my painting resin models I got from Drew earlier this year.  

I'm hoping to try out some new (to me) techniques on this project.   For one, I've cut open and hollowed out one of the sentries (the large resin robots) in hopes of trying to fit fiber-optic lighting up to the chest light, the eyes, and down to the palm lasers.  Still need some more parts off ebay to make THAT happen, but something I've wanted to try for some time.

This weekend, gonna swap out a few of those heads off the ASPs for the alternate helmets, finish up some of the conversion work on the F.O.N. hopefully a batch of uni-techs will get some paint on 'em, and I'm itching for that and hopefully have something to interesting to update the log on my Sunday.  Later all.

Anyway, I LOVE what I got, major thank you Drew.   Everyone else, if you like what you see, you order from Drew directly (just shoot him an email at varian@nexus-miniatures.co.uk or nexus-miniatures@outlook.com) and you can find his catalog at http://www.nexus-miniatures.co.uk/store

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
Re: Booboo's Nexus miniatures log
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
nice stuff :) keep us posted

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »
Awesomeness. Drew is an awesome dude :D

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »
Awesomeness. Drew is an awesome dude :D

I can quote Drew here from just minutes ago "Yup, 100% agree"    ;)

granted it was a different context, but still works
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:30:19 PM by Booboo »

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »
Quick little update to the log.   Still waiting for my basing material to arrive, so these are just tacked onto their bases temporarily.  Got to almost ready units to go head to head.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Another update to my project log here.

Something I ALWAYS wanted to do was adding lighting to a vehicle.... so I decided that Drew's Sentry would present to perfect challenge to motivate me to try and so I took to chopping on of them up and lighting.  While the circuitry is straightforward, It took some time for parts to find me via various ebay purchases, and re-purchases when I found out the LEDs were NOT 3V as advertized but instead required a 9V push. 

Anyway, the basic process I used was to chop on leg off to allow me to drill from above and below the leg and hollow a channel thru it.  This also let me drill from the leg hole, both arm holes and the neck hole to effectively hollow out the torso.  The head I tried to drill from just the eyes and neck, but the proved to hard to snake the 1.5mm fiber thru so cut a slot on the back side for access and later filled in with procreate.  Since I had chopped on leg off, I decided to repose it a bit, sweep it back and give a bit of variety between my two sentries stance.

In the pic you can see a break down of the parts I needed and the basic flow of them thru the Sentry to the two eyes, the chest light and the palm light.  What you need is a power supply and LEDs to match., a button battery is about all I can hide on something like this, so I was limited to 3 or 6V.  The supply I found has a switch on it, so I didn't need to make additional room for that.   Then some fiberoptic cable, I choose some plastic stuff rather than glass as it's more forgiving to my clumsy handling.  I used heat shrink to create two fiber optic "looms" where a couple pieces of fiber are linked to a single LED.    Again, first time trying this, had a bit of struggle, but really REALLY enjoyed it.  Looking forward to doing more.

I've done a good bit more, so hopefully if the weather holds I get another update this weekend

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »
That's really cool. Nice paint job too.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:31:41 AM »
That's really cool. Nice paint job too.

Many thanks Michka, much appreciated   :)

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
Weather is nice today, so I decided to snap some shots.  Figs by Nexus Miniatures, Terrain by Stoelzel's Structures (hey....that's me).

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:04:00 PM by Booboo »

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »
love it and love the buildings :)

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
Cheers, Many thanks Bear,  I've got some more figures painted up so I'll try to get some more shots in this weekend.

For anyone interested
The buildings are three of my products:  
Bakers http://www.wargamevault.com/product/130047/Bakers?term=Bakers
The 80s Arcade   http://www.wargamevault.com/product/104933/Classic-80s-Arcade
and Scott Manor, the haunted house. http://www.wargamevault.com/product/117828/Haunted-Home--Scott-Manor

Figures from Nexus Miniatures:  
Particularly we have the Uni-Tech Security, Sentry Robot, MATAT, Dino rangers and ASP troopers showcased in this lot.   Anyone who likes what they see, you order from Drew directly (just shoot him an email at varian@nexus-miniatures.co.uk or nexus-miniatures@outlook.com)  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:32:40 PM by Booboo »

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
It all looks excellent. Great stuff fella  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
It all looks excellent. Great stuff fella  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Many thanks Brums, they really are a joy to paint.