Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave table WIP  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Frostgrave table WIP
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:13:07 AM »
I played a game with a buddy a couple weeks back, and we both really liked it.  We played on a 3x3 table, but both thought it might be more fun on a cramped 2x2 board.  This got me to thinking about all the unused hirst arts pieces I had laying around...

After a bit of foam cutting and experimentation, I came up with this:

The pieces are not yet glued down... I am still torn as to whether I should keep the raised border around the cobbled street.  I am considering removing the bigger blocks to leave a sunken gutter rather than a raised curb around the street tiles.  Any suggestions?  I think I might need some more glue...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
Re: Frostgrave table WIP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »
Definitely prefer a gutter than the curb, but if you do keep it lose a few blocks and make it look a bit more ruined...

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »
Definitely keeping this thread in my sight. Tables like these always look amazing!

As for the raised parts, if they are meant to represent pavement, they are way too high for that. If you look at your miniatures, they are really going to have to climb to get on it. For buildings though, I could see them being used to keep them in place, they could just be used to represent the foundation of the building slightly sticking out for reasons known to the wizards that built the place.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
Yeah, I think I agree on the gutter idea... my main concern is if I keep the curb then it may get in the way of building placement.  If a building partially overlaps the gutter you may not notice.  But if you overlap the curb, everything will be crooked.

I do plan on making it look a bit more ruined, and will likely cover a good amount with sand to be painted as snow.  It is only 2x2 right now, but it should not be hard to make some add-on pieces to expand it to 3x3.  I will just need to cast some more blocks...  o_o

Offline Morray

• Bookworm
  • I'm a Snow Troll...Boo!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Oh crickey that base is going to look amazing, are you going to paint it all cobble stone style?

Big fan.

Offline atzerath

• Student
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
sand down the blocks to lower them? they'll probably end up somewhat angled but that might add to the whole picture

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I will be removing them to place a gutter... should look good once I add some sand and rubble to the gutter.  I will also be putting swathes of snow over parts of the cobblestones.  Will probably just glue some fine sand and then paint it white.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »
It looks good.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
Looking great I'll be watching your progress with interest. I'm always envious of those with the storage space for themed gaming boards - mine are just plain static grass for generic use while I use gaming mats for others. Thanks for sharing

Offline Curadh

• Bookworm
  • Infinity is the Limit
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
Wow. You are off to a good start.  Looks like there was some planning to put that altogether.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
Wow. You are off to a good start.  Looks like there was some planning to put that altogether.

You would think that.  ;)

Actually, when I was casting blocks for other projects, I would always take the leftover dental stone in my mixer and fill as much of a cobblestone or flagstone tile mold as I could so that I would not waste a ton of material and also so that I could have a nice stockpile for making terrain.  So, I had all the blocks cast already, and I had some foam so I figured I might as well get some use out of them.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 03:07:42 AM »
Ok, so I got a bit more work done tonight. First, I removed the curb to leave a recessed gutter.  It seems like an improvement to me.

Additionally, I replaced several areas of blocks with some foamcore I had laying around.  I am planning to cover some large swathes of the cobblestone in snow drifts, so there is no reason to cover up the completely good tiles I worked so hard to cast.  This has the added bonus of leaving me more leftover tiles to make some board expansions in the indefinite future.

Any other suggestions?  I think I will start gluing down the tiles this week, time (and glue permitting)!

Also, I forgot to add, the snow will be made using regular PVA glue and fine play sand.  It will then be painted appropriately along with the rest of the table.  Should work out much cheaper than purchasing enough snow flock to cover a table, considering I already have the sand.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 03:45:50 AM »
Looks great.  Are you gluing that down or leaving it modular?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:33 AM »
I will be gluing down all the tiles.  The table is 2x2, so I may eventually make some 1x2 sections and 1x1 sections to expand it to a more modular 3x3 table and beyond.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
That looks great so far. Will the gutters have ice in them?