Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:41:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargame Campaigns  (Read 9679 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Wargame Campaigns
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
Our club played many iterations of "The Sport of Kings", the campaign game for "The Age of Reason" SYW rules. I think all ran until there was a victor as defined by the campaign.

A friend and I also did a colonial campaign set on "Darkest Harn", which supposed that Harn (the fantasy RPG) was an island in the Indian Ocean. We decided which regions belonged to which colonial powers. We started with one battle between a small British force and an Indian force (the Mad Maharajah). The premise was this was a British client state but that the Maharajah had decided to throw the British out. So it was a sort of Indian Mutiny situation. After the first battle we decided what each side would do next. There were no campaign rules as such, we just made it up in what seemed to us to be the most logical story. This was all down in the Thay region of the Harn map. We had several smaller battles featuring the Barsetshire Regt as the principal British unit. Then we did the Siege of Thay with the Brits as the defenders. That part of the campaign ended with a huge battle of Waterlooapore.

After that we moved the locale of the campaign west to Corannon. There we had a scenario where the local bandit, Ali Baba, had made off with some missionary women. A joint expedition of British, French (IIRC) and Americans went to their rescue. In our campaign Custer missed out on the Little Big Horn and he featured prominently in this battle, storming the palisade and then holding it with blazing six-guns until the rest of his force could clamber up.  :)

The next battle was a disguised Islandwana battle featuring displaced Confederates and their Mexican allies versus the zulu-like hordes.

After that we went to the North-eastern part of the map and had French Foreign legion fighting both natives and Slann in the jungle. The latter was just a one-off battle as I had sold my large Slann army and this was it's "Last Hurrah" before being shipped off.  :)

So, campaigns are great, though I suppose who you game with. Avoid Power Gamers...