Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:46:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City as Setting for Otherworld Skirmish?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
I had a kooky idea. What about the Forbidden City as a Frostgrave-style setting for Otherworld Skirmish? There are a bunch of rival factions...bugbears, bullywugs, kwairno and his apprentice, tasloi, the dragon, and yuan-ti.

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
Re: I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City as Setting for Otherworld Skirmish?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
Great idea, it's the perfect setting for an extended campaign.  Something with several factions vying for control would work really well.  You could also consider the Caves of Chaos (D&D B1), Under Illefarn (AD&D N5), or the Leiber/Fischer setting of Quarmall from the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books?
Otherworld Miniatures Webstore - http://www.otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
Under Illefarn is a great module, for me its going to be Big Rubble - I've started painting up some adventurers and will pitch them against trolls & broo

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Yup, Caves of Chaos was my first thought and probably will be my first battles. But then I had the kooky forbidden city idea.

I haven't heard of under illefarn. I will definitely have to check that out.

I'd thought I'd read all the Leiber books but I don't remember quarmall. I'll have to look that up too; it's probably just long enough ago that I don't remember.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm sure there are a ton of old D&D modules that would work. I'm also thinking about the forgotten temple of tharizdun, not as a campaign setting, but as a giant set piece battle.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Does Otherworld Skirmish have stats for all those types/classes? It appeared fairly limited in pre-prepared monsters from a quick scan through.

What about the D&D and AD&D magic, does it replicate the spells or do you need to rework the spells to suit the rule mechanisms?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »
Does Otherworld Skirmish have stats for all those types/classes? It appeared fairly limited in pre-prepared monsters from a quick scan through.

What about the D&D and AD&D magic, does it replicate the spells or do you need to rework the spells to suit the rule mechanisms?

There's about 80 profiles that map to a large selection of the Otherworld range, but not all listed there. Easily adapted though - so go for it!

It's a skirmish game at its core, so doesn't attempt to replicate the detail or breadth of a traditional RPG style magic system. The spells are intentionally broad reflections of some fantasy tabletop staples.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:06:38 PM by uti long smile »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV