Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690488
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gang Wars  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Faustnik

• Student
Gang Wars
« on: September 13, 2015, 08:57:59 AM »
Lads,

Long time no post, so some pictures of some of my latest games

These ones uses Pulp Alley gaming engine, with some mods to make it more skirmish wargaming while keeping the Maximum Game Fun focus.

This one is around gangs wars, be it in any modern or post-apoc setting, with small forces, whatever you want.
Figures? Get your own, using available ones: one of my players is doing a 1:72 «wild geese» theme, but using a mix of almost any figure from Italeri Modern boxes, their «enemies» are Vietcong figures with head swaps for some Asian faction…. Use your imagination.

This one is designed to be played in small tables – the first one was 0,5x0,5m, while the second was a 0,9x1,2m affair, could go bigger or smaller, depending on your setting .

Point driven, with scenario established limitations: first one was an 18 points game, with no heavy weapons, only Veteran, Average and Novice elements allowed; the second was a 24/28 point, including heavy weapons…..

These are some playtests of the system – concurrently with the WW2 Skirmish one – which I use on «Lisbon at Worlds» wargaming reunion on 12 September.

Now the 1st game. Basic background easy and fast: somewhere in Africa a local gang (Bad Boyz) tries to expand its territory at cost of the other dominant Faction, a paramilitary organization controlled by some ambitious junior officers, supported by Western Powers, which tired of the previous arrangement will try to snatch some more territory on the local shanty quarters.

The table top, made up of 4 shanty bases by Phil/Tinned_Fruit – 3 of them were made specifically for me, the other just a cheap bargain, together they just made «the Maze»
I reworked some of the roofs, just to give that irregular feel of shanty towns…

All this into a 0,5x0,5m table top.

Some details..

Myself pick up the Bad Boys, and here they are with their stats – people knowing PulpAlley will ID them quickly ;-)
The Leaders…

The Soldiers

The situation escalates with some tires burning on the street (S&S pieces which I removed the bases)

Now the fighting…
I started getting some advantage (seems a déjà vu) but soon as the more regular troops started to make the quality felt, I was doomed (and my dices didn’t help), but manage to do some serious damage to those puppet soldiers ;-)

In the end an onslaught for both, so both keep their territory, sort off

Now the 2nd one, based on «Wild Geese» and «Tears of the Sun», no need to explain more ;-).

Basically a hamlet, a road, some trucks on the road with refugees – on a 0,9x1,2m tabletop, some military protecting them and the opposition (Bad Boyz and Kadogo) trying to destroy or disable the trucks.

A crack of a game, with Bad Boyz managing to ambush the convoy on the start, so Cohesion damage to the regulars quite rapidly.
On 2 and 3rd Turn, Regulars manage to balance the game, by destroying the elements with RPGs, but loosing 3 trucks (one KO two disable).
2nd part of 3rd turn will see the Insurgents advance towards the village, and more damage done to regulars, and their Cohesion Level, and the final, almost at hair pin, regulars shooting down both Insurgent leaders, and was time for the Insurgents to go off table with their Cohesion Threshold over.

Regular tactical victory, but a political victory for the insurgents.

On both play test we introduce new rules, after setting and digest the basic mods, so: on first one was the point system, mostly the PulpAlley thing, but with extras for Leadership; on the 2nd, keep the previous, and adding a the Cohesion Threshold (basically you take Cohesion Damage, every time you got shot/wounded) modified from our Skirmish WW2 mods for PulpAlley.

Until now it worked and the MGF was maintained which is the most important.

Games with 20 t0 30 figures on each side are easy, within a 1-1:30h time-frame.

On the «Lisbon at the Worlds» we manage to do 3 games in a 2:45h all these with people around, explaining the system and so on.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome

Faustnik

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Gang Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »
Great set up the shanty town table looks really good.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »
Good looking games and good to hear the pace is as hectic as it should be. Thanks fro sharing.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
That was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »
Great stuff,glad to see size and playing time! simple is best,

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »