Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Size Comparison: Otherworld vs North Star soldiers  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Idaoh

• Schoolboy
Size Comparison: Otherworld vs North Star soldiers
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi

I would like to build up two warbands based on North Star plastic soldiers and mix them with Otherworld miniatures (human Wizards, War Dogs). As I only have non-human Otherworld miniatures (Ogre, Goblins) I’m not sure if both ranges can be used together without looking unsightly. I fear that Otherworld miniatures could be bit too large.

Does anybody know if OW humans can be mixed with the plastics form North Star?

Best regards

Idaoh

Offline Green_Knight

• Librarian
Re: Size Comparison: Otherworld vs North Star soldiers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
I have some Fighters from Otherworld and they fit in.
They a a bit taller, but normal for human diffrence in height.

-----------------------------------------------------
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
Mix and match seems to be all the rage with Frostgrave, so I don't think a bit of height difference is a huge issue by and large (no puns intended!  ;)). I'm using a mixture of Northstar officials, old and newer Citadel (Warhammer, LOTR and even some old board game minis) as well as Perry and they all seem to fit in okay if you don't mind some looking a little different to others. I think Frostgrave does lend itself to using whatever you like, it seems easier to just throw down what's in your collection than perhaps you might with the likes of Mordheim somehow.

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
I've always mixed brands and never worried about the size variation that comes with that. I go on the principal that some people are tall and some people are short.  It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size.  One of my friends I use to play with often compensated for smaller miniatures with a bit of creative basing.

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
I've sold a tonne of Otherworld Miniatures with Frostgrave Troops, as it's been said - them being slightly different really doesn't matter. The models compliment each other beautifully (and you can then use them for both Frostgrave and Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish, muahahahah)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »

Otherworld, North Star, Reaper, Otherworld

North Star, Otherworld, North Star

Offline Idaoh

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
@all: thanks for the feedback. I'm convinced  :)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Nice comparison pics, I think I'll be adding some otherworld models to my warband.thanks for sharing

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:18:07 PM »
There's quite a lot of variation in height even within the Frostgrave range. The marksman model is an extremely tall chap!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
There's quite a lot of variation in height even within the Frostgrave range. The marksman model is an extremely tall chap!

It seems that the metal Frostgrave miniatures are slightly taller than the plastic soldiers.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
In life you get variations in height, weight, etc. so it should be acceptable on the tabletop. I'm not too bothered by individuals having variations, especially in a skirmish game as opposed to a ranked unit

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »
One of my friends I use to play with often compensated for smaller miniatures with a bit of creative basing.

Very good point. I had a really quite diminuative old Citadel armoured vampire, who came up short against the more contemporary GW output. Being the leader of my Mordheim warband he needed to look imposing - so, I mounted him on a heap of plastic skulls and job done.

Despite what the popular periodicals tell you, size doesn't matter ( :D) if you base them right. Also gives you a reason to make some rather fetching scenic bases, which always improves a model no end (can't believe the people who paint a model really nicely but leave the base bare plastic! :o A base finishes the model and is almost naked without it).

Yeah, I noticed the Northstar Summoner is a big chap compared to the soldiers, but truly deosn't matter.

I like the fact that people seem to feel liberated by Frostgrave to open up the minitaures catalogue of stuff they have lurking on the shelves, it seems to be that sort of game.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:23:04 PM by Legionnaire Bert »

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
In life you get variations in height, weight, etc. so it should be acceptable on the tabletop. I'm not too bothered by individuals having variations, especially in a skirmish game as opposed to a ranked unit

Exactly. Some people grow bigger than others.

IMO as long the sculpting styles don't clash its fine to have some variaty in your warband.
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »
Wow that is an extreme difference but it confirms the variety of sizes possible. Yeah it's the style that matters more when you line up your collection, as such differences can at times stand out like a sore thumb

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »
Our warbands are going to be a mix of a lot of different companies minis. My necromancer's warband is mostly GW and Reaper but has a few Wargames Factory and Northstar kitbashes thrown in. Sizes vary but the overall scale is close enough to look decent together. Other warbands have Gripping Beast metals and plastics mixed with Northstar, old GW and Reaper. Will probably throw in some Mantic minis once I get them too. Kind of need to go on a mini by mini basis to decide who fits. Reaper and GW scale/size can vary a lot and are often much larger than the historicals I have. I'm enjoying the switch from large ranked units of nearly identical minis to small groups with a wide variety of models. Got to get creative at times to find/make minis to fit the Frostgrave types at times.