Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 446
Total: 452

Recent

Author Topic: What is your favorite thing?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
What is your favorite thing?
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:16:10 AM »
I'd been observing SA since I heard about it on Jaded Gamercast a few years back.  I procrastinated and got sucked into other projects and by the time I'd looked into again late last year the 2nd edition was in development.  Rather than asking you to sell me on this game (I think I'm already sold) I'd like to know, what about the game makes it most enjoyable to you?  I'm looking for some feedback that will get me fired up to make some some fun stuff.  Thanks.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What is your favorite thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »
Well, 2nd is like night and day with all the changes so my thoughts on what I like:

1) Low model count, Threshold is usually 3 or so models and the Lurker could be a bit more.
2) Quick games,once you know the rules well about 30-45 mins for a game.
3) The new solo deck and rules option is very appealing as it is sometimes hard to get together with the only other SA player at times, life happens for each of us so this allows you to enjoy the game.
4) Options, options and options...game in 2nd has much more variety, Theshold has more variety i skills, options of gear and team choices. Same for Lurkers with more monsters, weapon options, relics, scenes of horror and more.  Tons more scenarios.

To me it is one of the best skirmish games out there.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
+1 to what Styx said.

Also for me,

I can teach the basic rules within 5 minutes to a newbie and get into a fun game with them (I have done this at my game's club with about 10 gents already).

and

It is pretty easy to integrate monster figures from other game systems I already have into SA and get them on the table as Lurkers.

Lem  :)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:55:43 PM »
A classic setting, great mechanics and fun to play. The scenarios keep things interesting and the campaign is a winner.

Highly recommended.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
The fact that it's a relatively fast paced game with easy to understand and non cumbersome rules, combined with the fact that you can use any model you think that fits any of the profiles...you're not restricted to only one manufacturer. Finally it's bases upon Lovecraft's/ mythos writings, so that alone already makes it a winner for me.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »
That sounds exactly what I was hoping it would be.  Thank you for sharing your replies.  I picked up the SA 2nd edition PDF from Uncle Mike's and just started glancing through it.  Threshold is pretty cool but I'd like to try and build a Canadian organization and set games here.  The Prime Minister's office in the 20's (McKenzie King as 10th had a rep as a spiritualist and as asserting Canadian independence from the Crown) seems like a perfect fit to commission a similar organization as yet unnamed.

I like the idea of an art deco style fire/torch logo and a name like Torchlight or The Promethean Institute.  Maybe a latin motto like, "Remain in the Light" (Talking Heads reference :) .  I noticed there were organizations that other players had invented (B.O.S.S. and M.O.O.S.E.).  Has anyone got any of their own creations to share or some ideas they might be comfortable with me slithering off with?