Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SuperSystem Terrain  (Read 3717 times)

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
SuperSystem Terrain
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
So I'm in another Battle Systems' cardboard terrain kickstarter, and it screams for use with my SuperSystem 4E book.

Urban Apocalypse:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain/description

I'm currently planning to run on this terrain with SuperSystem 4E:

Batman: No Man's Land campaign

Marvel 666 Zombie universe campaign

Hulk comes to town (Aftermath) campaign

Really...how many comic events don't generate massive structural damage in the course of the event?  This will be the perfect terrain to play those campaigns out in.

:)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:32:50 PM by MidnightBlue »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: SuperSystem Terrain
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
I really can't make my mind up about this stuff. It does look good and it's playable out of the box (after construction),  but I can't help think that it's a bit flat, which is always going to be an issue with card terrain.

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
I don't know, with added items like fire escapes and what not, I think it fleshes out nicely.

The big deal for me is that, probably unlike the majority of people on this forum, I hate the hobby side of gaming.  I LOVE the games.

Little is more depressing to me these days than to finally free up the free time to game, only to realize that I still need to assemble and paint before I'm ready to game.

Just like exercising, I wish I enjoyed crafts for these games, but I just don't and decades of trying to force myself hasn't changed things.

If I win the lottery, I will commission all future assembly and painting for my games.

Until then, I need to find solutions that can balance time/money costs.  The Battle Systems' terrain is cheap compared to what it saves me in assembly/painting time.  And they are getting better with each set.  There was quite a bit of slot trimming to do in their first offering, but the 2nd is MUCH better.  I expect this one to continue the trend.

As with all things, this kind of product won't speak to everyone, but it is a dream come true for me.

Between the sci-fi, fantasy, and now modern sets, I can handle most of my 25-35mm gaming interests with fleshed out terrain.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »
The £100k stretch goal is a Fire Station!

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »
With 23 days left to go, this terrain KS is closing in on its 10th and 11th stretch goals. Of those 11 shown stretch goals, only two of them are add-ons. The other 9 stretch goals are all freebie terrain elements added to the base City Block pledge.

So for every City Block pledge we have an additional 30 terrain elements added. These are "per City Block" and do not add to the shipping costs. I'm currently in for a x2 City Block pledge (hoping I can free up the funds to jump to a x4 pledge). That means I'm getting x2 all of those stretch goal freebies (or 60 added terrain elements at the moment).

The two add-on stretch goals are great additions to the flavor of the set, specifically for my superhero/zombie/pulp purposes...a Police Precinct and a Fire Station!

I can't wait until I have Spider-Man drop a webbed thug at the polices' doorstep...or have Human Torch aid the brave firefighters in putting out a fire.

There have been a lot of suggestions for further stretch goals, one of which is a bank with vault. That would be a great addition to a superhero game setting piece and objective!

I just love the ability to build up this terrain and really get the web-swinging, roof jumping feel of a supers' game on the table...whether for minis gaming or roleplaying.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
I had high hopes for this stuff and joined the first Kickstarter.  I quickly built one section of hall which was rickety and disappointing.  The rest sat in a box until last month when I ebay'd for a reasonable sum. 

This stuff looks good, but so did the first one in pictures.  I think lots of folks are happy with it, but I know a fair few that aren't. 

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »
I had high hopes for this stuff and joined the first Kickstarter.  I quickly built one section of hall which was rickety and disappointing.  The rest sat in a box until last month when I ebay'd for a reasonable sum.  

This stuff looks good, but so did the first one in pictures.  I think lots of folks are happy with it, but I know a fair few that aren't.  

The first set is known to have some tooling issues...requiring more work on the purchaser to widen slots and whatnot.  (Battle Systems was worried about making the slots too big and therefore too loose to hold whatever it was attached to.)

Now, while I don't have my Fantasy (2nd KS) terrain yet, it's in route, everything that I'm hearing is that Battle Systems learned from the first offering and the tools are much closer to perfect, with little-to-no additional adjustments needed.

Battle Systems also has extensive YouTube how-to videos to show how best to assemble and treat the terrain to get the most out of it.

Sorry you weren't happy with your purchase, but I have to say, you're the first that I've ever heard say that out of a lot of backers.

As with all things...not every product is for every person.

We're just about ready to hit the 10th stretch goal...just 70 GBP to go!

Then on to the Fire Station!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:33:45 PM »
I had high hopes for this stuff and joined the first Kickstarter.  I quickly built one section of hall which was rickety and disappointing.  The rest sat in a box until last month when I ebay'd for a reasonable sum. 

This stuff looks good, but so did the first one in pictures.  I think lots of folks are happy with it, but I know a fair few that aren't. 

Sorry you weren't happy with your purchase, but I have to say, you're the first that I've ever heard say that out of a lot of backers.

As with all things...not every product is for every person.

I did the first KS too, and I'm not happy with the stuff, either. Am probably going to sell it off to an acquaintance of mine at Horisont VII next month.

This experience has been a big part of my decision to go all-in on laser-cut mdf for Buildings from now on. A bit more Work, painting et al, but in my oppinion a much more satisfying end product.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
I did the first KS too, and I'm not happy with the stuff, either. Am probably going to sell it off to an acquaintance of mine at Horisont VII next month.

This experience has been a big part of my decision to go all-in on laser-cut mdf for Buildings from now on. A bit more Work, painting et al, but in my oppinion a much more satisfying end product.

Not everything will be for everyone, clearly.

I'm almost done getting three sets plus a lot of add-ons of the Sci-fi set (the first set) table ready and I'm loving it.  Knowing that the Fantasy/Dungeon set (2nd set) is on its way to me and supposed to be even easier to work with, all the better.

I should be done with the Sci-fi set in a few days (working just in the evenings on this after my real job) and then I'm going to make some pulp superhero leagues using Pulp Alley for some game play in the next weekend or two.  Looking forward to it.

:D

But the Urban Apocalypse KS is really taking off!

We have already unlocked 13 stretch goals (11 freebies, 2 add-ons) and we are very close to stretch goal 14.  And that stretch goal is an awesome art deco building add-on option:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain/posts/1371917

Currently the stretch goals have added 45 additional pieces to every City Block pledged for.  Since I'm currently in for a x2 City Block pledge, I will get an additional (so far) 90 pieces added to my set for improved versatility.  I doubt I'll be able to before the close of the KS in 13 days, but I'll hopefully be adding another City Block or two to my pledge in the backerkit and these will also get the benefit of the stretch goals (but won't add to additional stretch goal unlocks).

The stretch goals have really added to the value of every pledge, and with the addition of the Police Precinct, Fire Station, and (soon) Art Deco building add-ons, there's going to be a lot of variation in my setups.

My supers are going to have some fun rooftop hijinks.

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
Excellent interview with Collin of Battle Systems about this terrain on the Beasts of War Weekender and an exclusive look at an add-on that is going to break my bank:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/the-weekender/battle-systems-terrain-post-apocalyptic/#comment-231596

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
We're in the final push on this Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse, Shanty Town, Suburbs terrain Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain/description

Right now each base pledge or add-on of a City Block or Shanty Town gets you 71 additional freebie pieces of terrain...without adding to your shipping costs!

That's for EACH City Block and Shanty Town! 

So I'm in for a x2 City Block right now, as far as I can go until a couple/few more paydays and the pledge manager opens, which means I'll get (so far) 142 additional pieces of terrain above and beyond two already stuffed boxes of the City Blocks themselves!

I'll be adding a LOT more when my Christmas Bonus hits.

Also worth noting, any additional City Blocks and Shanty Towns added in the pledge manager will also get the stretch goals.

Here's a small list off the top of my head of minis games and RPG games that I plan to use all of this terrain for:

Pulp Alley
A Fistful of Kung Fu
Tomorrow's War
Of Gods and Mortals
Fanticide
SuperSystem 4E
Heroclix
Horrorclix
Actionclix
The End
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Aberrant, Better Angels, and all other Marvel/DC/Other superhero RPGs on my shelves
World of Darkness games (Classic and New)
Leverage
Chill 3E
Fireborn
Hollow Earth Expedition
Little Fears
Corporation
Call of Cthulhu
Nightspawn/Nightbane
Chaos Earth
System Shock
TMNT
Ninjas & Superspies
Beyond the Supernatural
Dead Reign
Spycraft
and I'm probably forgetting a few games still on my shelves that I'd use with this terrain.

The new Suburbs add-on adds amazing versatility to this terrain as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain/posts/1385492