Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Men Who Would be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show 1.11.15!!  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The Men Who Would be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show 1.11.15!!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
The only time I ever truly lived in the city, I was an archaeologist living in a wasp-infested caravan. And I got a skin infection from the peat. That was enough for me.

The rest of time, I just lived nearby and popped in for a bit of 'sophistication'.

OK, as long as I avoid the peat I'm good?  lol

Actually, I can get a train straight down to Peterborough from Durham so it won't be all that arduous a journey :)

Should be there :)

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »
Really can't wait for these rules  :(

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:49:51 PM »
I'll be there, sadly in the wrong period, with my El Cid stuff.  Really looking forward to seeing these in action!  And maybe Dan too - I assume there's no peat or similar infectious substance on your terrain?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
As Andy says, you could use them but they're not written specifically for that period so there are no rules for armoured cars or aircraft. I am working on some optional rules that won't be in the rulebook but will appear online or in a magazine though.

Try wargames illustrated, that way you get paid!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
I'll be there, sadly in the wrong period, with my El Cid stuff.  Really looking forward to seeing these in action!  And maybe Dan too - I assume there's no peat or similar infectious substance on your terrain?

Well, in the absence of toxology tests on the terrain and having studiously avoided peat in my preparations, I am of the opinion that we might be ok...  lol lol lol

We have a cool little scenario lined up involving standard size 'field forces' plus additional reinforcements, the idea being that folk then get to see the standard size forces in action as well as playing in a bigger game with more toys!!

Looking forward to catching up with you! It's been a while...

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »
Delighted to hear all that and looking forward to seeing yourselves and the game.  How big is your hill, sir?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »
Regrettably, not as huge as the one from your recent WW2 game... It's actually tough doing NW Frontier in 28mm as you can never get the hills to be anything other than 'pimples' on the terrain... Still, thank goodness for aquarium accessories...cheap source of rocky terrain!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »
Andy, with the El Cid event on the horizon I'm not going to be able to make it down so please take a lot of groovy snaps so i can oggle them on the forum and wish I had made the trip to see the game for myself.... hope that males sense(?)- just got out of bed! :)

Darrell.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »
Looking forward to these rules, a favourite period and games that are just the right size, shame he release date is so far away but best things come to those that wait  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 06:01:02 AM »
Looking forward to these rules, a favourite period and games that are just the right size, shame he release date is so far away but best things come to those that wait  :)

I cannot wait either..... :)

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:11 PM »
Just a final reminder that Hereward Wargame show is at the Cresset in Peterborough, UK on Sunday 1st November and that Andy MacTaggart and I will be putting on a demo-participation game of The Men Who Would Be Kings. We'll run at least two games on the day and can take 4 players each time for derring-do on the Northwest Frontier. We still hope that author Dan Mersey may be able to join us and we hope that Osprey will send us a few pics of the official cover. What you'll definitely see is over a hundred and twenty Pathan and about 60 Anglo-Indian models (including a mountain gun and Bengal Lancers...oh yes!!) and some cool looking scenery (including the lovely Pathan watchtower that Jimbibbly made for me) in a challenging and fun scenario loosely based on an incident from the relief of Chitral.

We really hope to see some of you there! If you are a LAF member attending, do make yourself known to us if you pop over to play or to watch... :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
These sound great would they be usable with the first Maori wars

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
These sound great would they be usable with the first Maori wars

Absolutely! You just have to tweak the various abilities of the units to suit your theatre - or just create new abilities, e.g. we created 'Ghazis' for our NW Frontier games and gave Ghazi units 'move' and 'attack' as their free actions as we felt that suited religious fanatic warriors better. We also adapted the 'poor shots' rule for our Pathans (who were anything but poor shots in reality) and called it 'Poor rate of fire' as we felt that simulated the Pathans' shooting better.

I know next to nothing about the Maori wars, but I'm very confident you'll be able to game it very easily with these rules, especially if you have the background knowledge to personalise it.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
Just wanted to drop by and say what a splendid looking game this was today. Great to meet you too Andy. From what I've gleaned it sounds as though the rules are going to be perfect for a great deal of colonial actions. I'm already planning my forces.  ;)

Also, as a side note, what a great new show. Will definitely be adding it to the diary from now on.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Thanks Ray - great to meet you too. See loads of pics on the after show report thread! :D