Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Transylvanians are Coming...! (By Fire & Sword)  (Read 2550 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
The Transylvanians are Coming...! (By Fire & Sword)
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
Finally finished painting my By Fire & Sword Transylvanians - testament to how long it takes me to paint, I got these from the second BF&S kickstarter and the parcel arrived in March I think!

Sitting in the sizeable box I received I also have a hundred or so Janissaries and rather more Muscovites, enough to complete the division I started when the BF&S English version was originally released at Salute in, 2013 (2012?) - it's a slow process...

Still, this is one of those rare occasions where I can actually show off some painting - if not my photography skills.
(Incidentally, if anyone can tell me how to do those photos where the background to the figures is blank rather than whatever they've been sitting on etc it would be much appreciated - I assume some sort of photo editing software?)

Enough provisos - on to the pictures!

You might note the horse-drummer on the command stand lacks drums and a drumstick. Perhaps he was in a rush on his way out :D
Somewhere in there is a three-legged horse too...

For someone who doesn't much like painting horses, I seem to paint a lot of cavalry-heavy armies. The pennants on one of the cavalry squadrons aren't based on anything in particular, I painted over some of the banners supplied as I rather liked the yellow-red flag supplied on one of the sheets and decided to spruce up some of the cavalry to go alongside. Let's assume they've only just set out on a raid and haven't had cause to start grumbling/getting wet & muddy yet!  :D

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
Re: The Transylvanians are Coming...! (By Fire & Sword)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »
Very nice work there.  :-*

I feel your pain about painting horses. I don't much like it either, but my Poles are loaded with them. I had hoped the Swedes would be less horse heavy, but they seem to be as well.  ;D

In any case keep up the good work, it is a great set of rules... 8)

Offline Julfdi

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
That looks nice. I especially like the light blue color pics seem to convey. Unites nicely group of still colorful and varied figures.

What have You got in there?
ie is that the contents of basic skirmish box. Mine are still waiting for place in painting queue - they were pushed aside by peasant partisans and Swedish defence force of Carelia and will compete with tatars. (Janissaries and more sipahis in the queue in wait of megalomaniac division game. )
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:12:51 PM by Julfdi »

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
Very nice. I look forward to seeing the Janissaries and Muscovites when you've got them finished.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind words  :D
Seems to me most of the forces I'm building are cavalry-heavy, so horse-painting will have to continue. I have serried ranks (well, a few) of Muscovite cavalry also to photograph at some point which I'll have to add to this thread. Not so much blue for them though, I always seem to graduate towards using blue, I don't know why...

What have You got in there?
ie is that the contents of basic skirmish box.

That's the Skirmish Pillaging Raid from the second Kickstarter - enough for 5SP, although without the extra command base: 4 bases of enlisted lancers, 4 of Comitatus cavalry, 6 bases of Mounted Haiduks (plus 6 of dismounted haiduks), and four bases of Seimeni. A force I think very suited to pillaging, and which will probably crack quickly knowing my luck!

Haven't played a game with them yet, a few more Muscovites needed to complete another Skirmish force, and then on to divisions and the Ottomans.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:45:51 PM by TheBlackCrane »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »
(Incidentally, if anyone can tell me how to do those photos where the background to the figures is blank rather than whatever they've been sitting on etc it would be much appreciated - I assume some sort of photo editing software?)

You just need to have a large curving sheet of the colour you want the background to be:

http://argonor-wargames.blogspot.dk/search/label/Photography
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
There were 2 Transylvanian players at Derby at the weekend in the BFaS tournament. One of them won the competition.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
Excellent! Clearly better at it than me though!  :D

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »
I didn't get to play against the winner - but since I lost 3 out of 5 games I don't suppose I would have slowed him down much :~}