Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Old West Ramblings.  (Read 8767 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Argonor's Old West Ramblings.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
Niels, try these OW buildings.
They mix well with Sarissa, gives more variety and they are cheap.

http://www.productsforwargamers.com/wild_west_buildings.html

I have 2 and within some time i will order a few more.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »
Niels, try these OW buildings.
They mix well with Sarissa, gives more variety and they are cheap.

http://www.productsforwargamers.com/wild_west_buildings.html

I have 2 and within some time i will order a few more.

Do those have access to interiors?

I seem to be spoiled for choices  lol

I just ordered my first batch of buildings from Sarissa, and I think I'll try to get a small test-game of High Moon up and running soon, with my existing Whitewash City buidlings (if they are not all warped up from sitting in a box in the garage attic, that is).

Too little darn time...  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
Yes you can leave the roof without glue so you can put interiors.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
Yes you can leave the roof without glue so you can put interiors.

OK, definitely one more possibility for variation!

I have the feeling that my collection will slowly grow out of bounds, as I probably will want to add a new version of a specific shop/saloon/office type from time to time, to really create the impression of new locales for the player(s).

Just had to purchase a new printer, as the old one gave up, and I think I'll break it in by printing some Whitewash City boomtown tents, so I can set my adventures on the fringe of civilization.

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:20:58 PM »
I have now purchased the High Moon rules, as you so wisely spotted and will 'cannibalise' them for ideas and alternative rules for my setting.

Looking very much forward to see your efforts and ideas  :).

Also, due to being off from work this week, I hope to get my TWO planned episodes of Twilight Trail done  lol.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
I have now purchased the High Moon rules, as you so wisely spotted and will 'cannibalise' them for ideas and alternative rules for my setting.

Looking very much forward to see your efforts and ideas  :).

Also, due to being off from work this week, I hope to get my TWO planned episodes of Twilight Trail done  lol.

I am definitely going to use them. Not sure if I go all the way on the magic, but even for 'historical' Hollywood games, the core system is much more solid than the old free version of 6GS that I have.

I feel DM could have more rules for various types of creatures (remember the Tumblebleed from Deadlands?), but I guess, the system is sufficiently flexible to allow for home-made monsters.

And the more I read the Reaction System rules, the more I like them; I think they could give just that intense exchange of hot lead that is so difficult to re-create on the tabletop.

Well, have been trying to get in touch with my gaming buddy, awaiting his response...

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »
I am definitely going to use them. Not sure if I go all the way on the magic, but even for 'historical' Hollywood games, the core system is much more solid than the old free version of 6GS that I have.

I feel DM could have more rules for various types of creatures (remember the Tumblebleed from Deadlands?), but I guess, the system is sufficiently flexible to allow for home-made monsters.

And the more I read the Reaction System rules, the more I like them; I think they could give just that intense exchange of hot lead that is so difficult to re-create on the tabletop.

Well, have been trying to get in touch with my gaming buddy, awaiting his response...

Because I am using a Weird West setting, the magic system is probably the part I will lift out of the rules and use. I was mucking about with homebrew rules for that before I became aware of these rules, so they will probably save me some time!

Personally, I make up the monsters as I go along, because as you say, the system is very flexible and I find it easy to 'stat' them up with very little effort. I usually give them special abilities (the Wendigo had increased movement, the spiders worked better in groups, the big spider could shoot webs...).

What I probably like the best with the Reaction System, is that in most games you have absolute control over your figures, but not here. You might like to take a shot at the guy across the street that just walked into your line of sight, but he's faster on the draw and even though he doesn't hit you, the bullets are too close for comfort so unheroically you have to dive behind the outhouse without even discharging your sixshooter  lol!!!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
So, first batch of Sarissa buildings confirmed en route, so next questions:

Scatter terrain.
Boxes/crates, barrels, coffins, watering troughs.

Where to buy in bulk for a decent buck?

And how do I make passable tumbleweeds? I think I asked this question couple of years ago, but I don't remember if I got a usable answer, then...  :?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 12:06:48 AM »
Just received my small Sarissa town in the mail today!

I assembled most of the shack before lunch, then left it to dry while eating, and then picking up a couple of trailer loads of soil from the local recycling station, so I didn't get back to Building today.

I now realize, though, that I am going to need various bits and bobs for the 'entrails' of my Buildings...  o_o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
Am getting a bit of work done:

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Interesting start.
I am very curious to see the finished sarissa buildings!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:09 PM »
The shack in the picture is fully assembled, and it wil probably see some gaming before getting a lick of paint.

There will be some wip pics on my blog this evening or tomorrow, and I'll probably have pics of 4 finished buildings to post here, too.

My plan is to get a small town built to start gaming with the few Old West minis I have got painted - then I'll attend to the owner, the interior, and the facade one building at a time, before getting a few feature buildings (bank, hotel, large saloon, etc.).

This should evolve into a long-term project with small add-ons now and then in between playing campaign games. Well, that's the plan at least...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:56:09 PM by Argonor »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 10:39:47 PM »
So, here's my progress so far:

I wrote up a full WIP on my blog, if anyone should be interested in my musings.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 01:18:40 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you do with them.
They really are a good basis to build upon in this genre.
A little imagination and effort and you should have a cracking town on the go there.
 :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
I think they'll do fine for their purpose. First few games will probably be with the buildings just as they stand in the naked mdf, but then I should have gotten and painted some 'innards' and 'shopkeepers' for some of them.

I'm starting out small and slow, just like Legionnaire in his Twilight Trail campaign, as I think that's the way to go for keeping up steam; get gaming with the stuff, add more detail and paint in between games.

I have an idea of making paper inserts for the facade signs to begin with - that way I can re-purpose buildings until I've got a larger collection.

Right now I aim for making the shack into a doctor's house, and the longest of the buildings a bunk house, while another building I just completed today will serve as a small saloon/bar. Just have to get and paint some stuff from the manufacturers I've listed. Well, after returning from our family trip to London, that is...