Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Command Bases- UPDATED P.15- 28-02-2023  (Read 34916 times)

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- Close Ups Bottom of Page 8 (Pic Heavy) - 12/01/2021
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2021, 03:33:46 PM »
Lovely figures Atheling.

I'm curious if you have purchased any of the Victrix Anglo-Dane plastic figures and if so how do they fit in (size-wise) with the other ranges you have purchased.

From the pictures I have seen online I like the Victrix armoured Anglo-Danes but I'm not fan of their unarmoured figures.  The sculptor seems to struggle with sculpting natural looking folds in the clothing.  I want to paint some Anglo-Danes for Saga with a mix of Victrix for hearthguards and another range for warriors (I'm thinking Footsore or Gripping Beast but not sure how the compare size-wise).  Thanks.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
Lovely figures Atheling.

Cheers Mike. :)

I'm curious if you have purchased any of the Victrix Anglo-Dane plastic figures and if so how do they fit in (size-wise) with the other ranges you have purchased.

I haven't. I haven't for any plastics at all in any of the units. I bought most of my Anglo Danes over a decade ago and Anglo Danish/Anglo Saxon plastic just didn't exist at the time. i have heard a few people mention that they have struggled to rank the Victrix mini's up in a Shieldwall type formation but I have to caveat that statement with the fact that I haven't tried it and it may not be the case.

From the pictures I have seen online I like the Victrix armoured Anglo-Danes but I'm not fan of their unarmoured figures.  The sculptor seems to struggle with sculpting natural looking folds in the clothing.  I want to paint some Anglo-Danes for Saga with a mix of Victrix for hearthguards and another range for warriors (I'm thinking Footsore or Gripping Beast but not sure how the compare size-wise).  Thanks.

Victrix would be fine for Saga as it doesn't matter how they rank up.

I have a mixture of Gripping Beast (Patton Sculpts), some very old OOP Gripping Beast stuff Darren cast up for me as a special request about 15 years ago, Saxon Miniatures (now sold by Warlord), Wargames Foundry, Footsore (Bill Thornhill sculpts), Footsore (Matthew Bickley sculpts), Dradant Miniatures and others. This is an unusual practice for me as I usually stick to one manufacturer!

Hope that is of some help?

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2021, 06:38:40 PM »
You certainly should be proud. Stunning painting! :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
You certainly should be proud. Stunning painting! :-*

Many thanks Tonhel.

I'm already thinking of making a up a small-ish area of desert type terrain to get some shots of the Early Byzantines as I think the scenery in the background of the Anglo Danish pictures really made all the difference.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

I cannot get near my painting table at the moment and consequently I find myself with some downtime. I want to keep the momentum going on all my projects ergo this post featuring all the units painted thus far for my Anglo Danes.

If you hop on over to my Just Add Water blog there's a host of pictures from all sorts of angles of all the units, casualty markers and the one single Shieldwall marker i have managed thus far:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/03/all-my-anglo-danish-units-so-far.html

There's a bit of chat about what my plans are for the army, to enter my first Swordpoint event and plans for a redux of the Fulford Gate display game. If you're interested do jump over to my blog at the link above.

Anglo Danish Huscarls/Fyrd Unit 1:

Anglo Danish Huscarls/Fyrd Unit 2:

Anglo Danish Huscarls/Fyrd Unit 3:

Anglo Danish Huscarls/Fyrd Unit 4:

Command Base 1:

Command Base 2:

Casualty Base 1:

Casualty Base 2:

Casualty Base 3:

Casualty Base 4:

Casualty Base 5:

Casualty Base 6:

Huscarls/Fyrd, Shieldwall Marker and Casualty Marker:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:10:25 AM by Atheling »

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Smashing additions to an already splendid collection

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
outstanding!!! :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thank you guys. I'll be working on Huscarl/Fyrd unit five as soon as I can get near my paints again!

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Big fan of your work!

Could you be so kind and explain your varnishing regiment to us. Please do go into detail. That subject is a constant hassle and I would love to get your perspective on it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Big fan of your work!

Thank you Batu :)

Could you be so kind and explain your varnishing regiment to us. Please do go into detail. That subject is a constant hassle and I would love to get your perspective on it.

Certainly, no problem. This is basically an article on varnishing that is cut and pasted from my blog:

Varnishing Dark Age Period Miniatures- Gloss and Matt- My Way.

Although this has been titles "Varnishing Dark Age Period Miniatures" the same methods would be suitable for any period really. This is a simply a brief run through of how I personally prefer to varnish my miniatures. I realise that everyone will rightly have their own way of doing things, not only that, different individuals will get different results from using the exactly the same processes!

This is simply the way in which I go about it and hopefully some of the information be useful for some of you? If not, then maybe of interest? I am a bit of a geek when it comes to painting; it is not unknown for me to have had conversations lasting several hours in person or even over the phone discussing painting! And yes, I do need to get out more, which unfortunately for me, is not really possible at the mo'.

Before I go any further, I really ought to add, before spraying any varnish (or undercoat) on any miniatures I find that heating up the tin by placing it on a thick towel on top of a radiator for 20 minutes is very helpful. I also shake for 5 minutes, which is well in excess the one or two minutes recommended by most manufacturers. The point is somewhat obvious, you want the spray to be as well mixed as is possible. If you live in a cold climate or have cold winters, try setting up a spray booth in your house, conservatory or garage. A decent cardboard box and a couple of light sources are all you need. Just make sure the ventilation is good and that any children are out of harms way. A good solid respirator is also very useful and will save your lungs from any damage. Make sure it has a good solid filtration system. Cheap is a bad idea.

Glossing:
So, the first thing I do is to get a medium bristle synthetic brush and give the miniatures a good dusting off . A brush not so soft as to leave dust in the recesses of the miniature but not so hard that it will take any of your paintwork off (this is something I do prior each painting session too). It's amazing how much dust can gather, even overnight and this can ruin the varnishing process even before you begin.

I use one of two options for glossing. My number one choice is brush on Humbrol DIY Enamel Gloss varnish from a tin. This is super strong stuff when it has gone off. I bought several tins in bulk many years ago and still have a few left. Apply with an old synthetic brush and a small amount of thinners/white spirit making certain that you do not allow the varnish to pool or 'bubble'. Be sure to use an old reasonably stiff brush which can be cleaned with thinners/white spirit after the job is done. Oh, if you ever plan on using the brush again, clean it in white spirit after applying the varnish!

My second option for Gloss is to use Humbrol Enamel Gloss spray. This comes small in 150ml cans and it is just as more or less good as the brush on, certainly a lot more convenient but one has to be very careful not to let the varnish pool. If you do get any pooling I have found that a lint free cloth can be carefully used to 'pull' and excess away. I mush prefer the brush on Humbrol DIY Enamel Gloss varnish as it is much easier to control how much varnish is on the miniature/s and to avoid pooling.

Note: Humbrol have stopped producing their DIY Gloss Enamel. I have not tried their gloss from their usual range of enamel's but I expect it will be very similar(?). It's an open question; if anyone has any experience?

The Glossed Miniatures:

Then, wait about a week! Seriously! Let the gloss go fully off prior to applying the matt varnish. This is actually something I learned recently from the maestro painter Redzedz. A few moths ago, I started to notice some spotting/icing appearing on some models, made enquiries on the net and discovered that although the gloss may seem to be dry, it in fact had not in fact fully gone off. A period of about a week is best to play it safe.

Matting Down:
For my matt layers I use Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish. I used to use the old recipe of Testors Dullcote lacquer (in the black cans) but I have found that the newer version (in the white cans) nearly always leaves a satin sheen so stopped using it  immediately and gave the cans away. There is nothing wrong with using Testors if that is the sort of finish you are looking for. It is just not for me. It is important to apply the Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish in light layers with small bursts from the can so's to build up the matt gently.

As the matt varnish does not magically turn matt the moment it lands on the model I usually find that I have missed a spot or two on the models. If you look closely at some of the miniatures in the images below you will notice that there are spots on the miniatures where there is some gloss showing through. Though typically, on the miniatures I matted down for this little article there is not a lot! I usually find that I have missed more! I always add an extra layer of matt, so two sprays a day or two apart. I always give the matt about 24 hours between sprays to let it go off.

Matting Down:

So, just to recap. You are essentially going from the very shiny miniature on the right to the matted down version after just one spray of the Windsor and Newton Artists Professional Matt varnish.

Hope that helps?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 06:03:31 PM by Atheling »

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Thanks! Is there are a reason why you use enamel gloss varnish and not acrylic gloss varnish?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks! Is there are a reason why you use enamel gloss varnish and not acrylic gloss varnish?

Yeah, Enamel Gloss is a heck of a lot harder than any acrylic gloss. It protects the paint jobs where acrylic really does very little, if anything, as it is more brittle.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Interesting. This guys goes all in on testing varnish: 

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
fantastic article (and results!).

similar to Dallimore in one of the Foundry books.

I've long been using the W&N spray, but have a feeling that the old Humbrol gloss enamel you're using is a key ingredient, perhaps not currently available.
I've tried various gloss varnishes prior to matt, and never get the velvety finish you do. Although maybe I don't leave the various coats enough time to dry either.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Interesting. This guys goes all in on testing varnish: 

I've seen it before Batu. Basically I'm set in my ways ang just go with what I know works :)

fantastic article (and results!).

similar to Dallimore in one of the Foundry books.

Thanks. I think Kev was a big fan of Blackfriars varnish after letting it settle down for matting down but the principles are the same really.

I've long been using the W&N spray, but have a feeling that the old Humbrol gloss enamel you're using is a key ingredient, perhaps not currently available.

Yeah, my heart sank a little when I noticed that they were not producing it anymore. I've got a couple of cans left, but could always switch over the Humbrol Gloss Enamel Spray is pressed to do so. As Redzed pointed out to me a while back, the real key is to leave the gloss to go off for at least a week.

I've tried various gloss varnishes prior to matt, and never get the velvety finish you do. Although maybe I don't leave the various coats enough time to dry either.

I give it roughly 24 hours between coats of Winsor and Newton Matt Pro- then the week mentioned above between the gloss and the first coats of matt.

Do post up any results you yourself get Bloggard :)