Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Command Bases- UPDATED P.15- 28-02-2023  (Read 34978 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Darrell, this thread is great! So much amazing brushwork!!  :o

Basically I'm set in my ways and just go with what I know works :)

Amen to that. I can echo that sentiment as an old painty curmudgen.  lol

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
thanks Atheling - does look as tho' it's the drying time which is key then, and I've never been very good on that score.

I actually should be painting some figs in time for a chum coming end of April - so hopefully so.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 09:31:26 AM by Bloggard »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
These are still superb.  You’re getting some amazing definition into the paintwork there.  Great to see all those different manufacturers in together.  For me, this makes it completely your own.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
thanks Atheling - does look as tho' it's the drying time which is key then, and I've never been very good on that score.

Yeah, the drying time is primarily the key- even when I've used Hunbrol Enamel Gloss spray i've left it a week.

I actually should be painting some figs in time for a chum coming end of April - so hopefully so.

It's probably worth mentioning watch the humidity too.

These are still superb.  You’re getting some amazing definition into the paintwork there.  Great to see all those different manufacturers in together.  For me, this makes it completely your own.

Thanks James. The general idea from many a moon ago was to have as many different miniatures in each unit as possible, as much variation as was possible I managed to persuade Darren and Stu to dig out the old (milliput sculpted) Anglo Saxon moulds at one of the last hot Lead/Cold Steel events at Gripping Beast Towers and bang some out for me. Happily they agreed. Some of the old Gripping Beast mini's are a little shabby and really show their age but quite miraculously, some of the moulds have weathered the slings and arrows of being cast again and again and the miniatures are reasonably crisp given the age of the moulds.

I've got a good mix of Footsore (old Bill Thornhill and Matthew Bickley), Gripping Beast (old Colin Patton and newer Colin Patten plus some of Soapy's), Drabant (bought a while ago from Old Glory UK!), Wargames Foundry (old range and new range), Saxon Miniatures (Mr Colin Patton strikes again!- now sold by Warlord), Perry Miniatures, Artizan Designs etc.

I think I actually surprised myself in how well the composition of each unit came together. To get all the disparate mini manufacturers to fit together. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet (and I hope I'm not coming across as a braggard here?) I think they have come together very well and the units still have that  Bayeux Tapestry feel.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:20:35 PM by Atheling »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Blow your trumpet loud.

Your work continues to be stunning, the attention to detail, managing, sourcing and grouping the various ranges, from so many suppliers.

Superb results, cannot be praised enough.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Absolutely brilliant! Masterful brushwork! Fantastic looking units!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Blow your trumpet loud.

Your work continues to be stunning, the attention to detail, managing, sourcing and grouping the various ranges, from so many suppliers.

Superb results, cannot be praised enough.

Thank you for your very kind words Tactalvanic :)

Absolutely brilliant! Masterful brushwork! Fantastic looking units!

And to you too MaleGriffin :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Anglo Danes/I'm back! - 24/04/2022
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2022, 01:44:52 PM »
Some how, somewhere I have managed to find the strength to start getting back into my painting. As I have mentioned before I am battling real demons in terms of mental health and it is no exaggeration that it took a heck of a lot of effort and determination to pick up the brushes again!

This post is both a small celebration and a reminder that it can be done. Are the miniatures painted to the exact same standard as the last unit of Anglo Danes I managed to paint up? Probably not. I am still feeling a little tentative with my brush work to add borders to the tunics and shirts but that will come back with a little time. I have left these unvarnished for now as I'm hoping, as I get back my confidence with the brush I will be able to add patters to the borders with my usual skill.

More pictures from various angles of the mini's can be found on my Just Add Water Blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/04/anglo-danesim-back.html

The next batch of six!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
It's great to see that you're back painting again! Don't bother too much painting borders and details, they look very good already and I feel it's more important for you to generate a little output at the moment rather than painting Golden Demon winning miniatures. Keep on with the good work!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Keep it simple on the first ones so that you can take your time to readapt by yourself and then go to the details.
They look very good to me.
Go for it.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Look great in the phitos, glad to see you back painting

Cheers
Tony

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Look great in the phitos, glad to see you back painting

Cheers
Tony

Thanks Tony. :)

It's great to see that you're back painting again! Don't bother too much painting borders and details, they look very good already and I feel it's more important for you to generate a little output at the moment rather than painting Golden Demon winning miniatures. Keep on with the good work!

Keep it simple on the first ones so that you can take your time to readapt by yourself and then go to the details.
They look very good to me.
Go for it.

Michi and Rumacara- Many thanks and..... I can't help it  lol

I want to have the mini's matching the quality of the other units  o_o

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
You should be very pleased with those - even if you think they aren’t quite up to a previous level, they are objectively still excellent. Leagues ahead of what I knock out.

I really like the more muted colours on the shields

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
You should be very pleased with those - even if you think they aren’t quite up to a previous level, they are objectively still excellent. Leagues ahead of what I knock out.

I really like the more muted colours on the shields

Thanks Fred. And for the encouragement too  :)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Well done. Wherever or however you have managed it, they are still good work.

More important is you managed to do them. I for one am glad to see the quality of your work, even if you feel they are not your best, you will improve them further.

Keep finding your strength.

Always look forward to seeing your work, even if I don't always comment, you are one of the inspiring people on this forum, with your skill with your brush, your sharing of tips and techniques, knowledge of your subject matter and more.

Look forward as always to what you do next