Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Martian Empires from Black Hat  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
Re: Martian Empires from Black Hat
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »
@ Ruarigh: Thanks for the picture and the links, that is really helpful. The Freikorps ones look like a good match for height and bulk  but this is a new venture for me so I don't know if they do anything more suitable than the figure shown. I'll have a scout about though. Gives me ideass to work from.  :)

Pleased to be of service. In the picture, the Freikorps figure is a Russian Seven Years War figure that is part of a stalled project. You could try Space 1779 I suppose. It might be fun.

Although I am working on the Martians for the time being, I plan to expand into the Piedmontese space effort after that using the Freikorps Piedmontese for the 1859 war. A few head swaps using the Peter Pig heads and some judicious use of other ranges to provide the necessary mitrailleuse from their French allies should leave me in just the right position to kick the Brits out of Syrtis Major! Of course, although the core of the force will be Piedmontese the rest of the force will be Martian askaris and Martian mercenaries. After that, I think I shall need to turn to the Danish efforts to conquer Venus, which will also give me the excuse I need to buy lots of lizard men. :)

Cheers,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
What the hell, man? I've just spent a most frustrating hour trawling the net for suitable figures, and it appears that hardly any 15mm manufacturers have pictures of their products on their sites.

Cos I'm gonna buy somehing I can't see. Sure I am. Are these people for real?  >:(

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »
They are trying to help you just like Malamute and myself.

Obviously, if you were looking for 28mm VSF miniatures you would find that the ranges are more than adequately illustrated and will fall effortlessly into your shopping cart. ;)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
They are trying to help you just like Malamute and myself.

Obviously, if you were looking for 28mm VSF miniatures you would find that the ranges are more than adequately illustrated and will fall effortlessly into your shopping cart. ;)

And all the ranges categorised for your viewing pleasure right here on this very forum. We exist solely for the purpose of providing you with all the necessary information to make an informed purchase. Gosh we are a helpful bunch, the warmth of human kindness personified... :D ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 09:00:25 AM »
You aren't fooling anyone you know. And stop ganging up on me!

But I must admit, I'm getting tempted back towards 28mm just because I can see what I'd be buying.

I dunno, something about the idea of massed battles of tiny Martians really appeals, but if it's this hard to find stuff, I might just not bother.

Conversely of course, I might do both:D

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
"Conversely of course, I might do both"

Said in the true spirit of a true Laf'er. Good man.

But don't forget - masses of Mexicans on Mars would be so fantastic and unique :o :o

Who's to say Martians are not only 4 foot tall anyway?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
You aren't fooling anyone you know. And stop ganging up on me!

But I must admit, I'm getting tempted back towards 28mm just because I can see what I'd be buying.

I dunno, something about the idea of massed battles of tiny Martians really appeals, but if it's this hard to find stuff, I might just not bother.

Conversely of course, I might do both:D

Ganging up on you, we wouldn't dream of doing that. lol

In all sincerety the Black Hat Martians are lovely, but the Parroom Station ones in 28mm are even nicer and quite reasonably priced too. You would n't need vast numbers to produce a decent army.
If you concentrated on the martian army first, you have will have plenty of opponents around here with Human colonial armies to oppose you. :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
Hmmm. Been looking at the Parroom Station stuff recently too. I'm always a bit put off ordering from them as I find their website quite confusing. I take it they don't have any UK or European suppliers that would be easier to get their kit from?

And Bronze Age, been looking at them too. And drooling.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I think there is some on the this forum that is trying to sale there old RAFM Martians also, let me see if I can find it
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Yeah, cheers Moody, I'd seen that. But like I said earlier, I'm not in a position to be buying anything for this project until next year and I guess Thommy would prefer a quicker sale.

Just checking out the options at the moment.  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
oops, forgot about that part. Well happy hunting and I hope you find what your looking for. (unlike myself with my constantly being distracted by ever thing that is shiny.) lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »
I know that feeling. One day I might concentrate on something long enough to finish it.  Doubt it mind.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Hmmm. Been looking at the Parroom Station stuff recently too. I'm always a bit put off ordering from them as I find their website quite confusing. I take it they don't have any UK or European suppliers that would be easier to get their kit from?

And Bronze Age, been looking at them too. And drooling.

No Uk suppliers anymore, (Newline Designs used to stock them, and have been selling off their stock at shows recently) its internet only from the States I am afraid, although I have had good service from them in the past and yes those Bronze Age minis are beautiful ;D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:31 PM »
Much to the distain of many members of this forum I dabble in the taboo world of 15/18mm VSF. Personally I have no preference over this scale or 25/28mm and enjoy them both equally. I suppose it comes down to what flicks your switch. 15/18mm is good if you want tripods or other giant martian thingies towering over your miniatures and  careering over the game board. Alternatively you might just want to play large scale VSF games on a budget.

Unfortunaltely I haven't tried the Martian Empire rules yet but judging by the Yahoo group they seem ok. I use a freebie set of rules I've tinkered with called A Fistfull of Tripods for my War of The Worlds games and they work ok for me. The Black Hat minis are great and Mike's service is excellent. If you want to make your mind up on the day he always has a painted diplay on his stand. Then again you could always aks him nicely for a few samples.
Don't!