Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My take on the Kingdom of Frostgrave...  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
My take on the Kingdom of Frostgrave...
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
Being a game that allows you to make your own history of what Frostgrave is (I don't know if a backstory will be provided in the up coming supplements) I decided to create my own thoughts on the blighted land...This is a simple history for now, maybe I'll expand on it later...

Frostgrave was a land located in the northern territories (For some reason cold is always associated with the north), It was called "Frost Grove". Although it was a cold region it prospered due to its location for being the last bastion of civilization before you entered the "Great Frozen". Many merchants and explorers would pass through with their varied cultures and rituals. It also had a self sustaining ability to produce year around crops in great underground caverns that provided the right temperature for farming, though initially dirt from the south had to be transported to the caves.

Then one day a strange traveler and practitioner of the dark magic/Necromancy set up a residence in the town. Gaining the trust of the local magistrates and leaders he began his vile works. Initially it was small events taking place, dead live stock, poor harvest, things that could be explained due to living in a harsh climate. Then occasionally people would disappear or go "mad" for unknown reasons. The events became more frequent and people believed that the once prosperous city was cursed. They moved and fled in droves...Strangers from the west, having ill tempers and evil dispositions took over the homes and murdered  the last of the cities residents. Occasionally a knight or warrior would venture into the land to conduct an investigation but was often not heard from again. Wizards from different schools of thought began to realize something sinister was afoot and formed expeditions into the land, some wanting to do good, others for their own greed and power...

This is all I have for now. I know, kinda corny but what the hell...im a "fluff" guy...anyone else have a history of Frostgrave?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: My take on the Kingdom of Frostgrave...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
Sounds like an interesting idea, and a good way to add flavour to your games - bands of Templar like warriors fighting for 'good' clashing with necromancers' bands, etc.

However frostgrave does already have a brief history description, though there's definitely room to expand on it and make each gaming group or individual's frostgrave unique.

Frostgrave is set in the old city of Felstad, a once great city, centre of a mighty empire, and home to many wizards and their magical treasuries, and their undead servants and construct guards. However somehow a magical accident occurred which caused a great storm to appear over thecity, burying it and it's inhabitants under a great frozen snowdrift.
More than a century later the frost has started to thaw, drawing in wizards, their students and mercenary bands in search of the lost magical treasures and knowledge.
The living inhabitants of frostgrave did not survive the freeze. The only inhabitants now to be encountered are those who were not alive so therefore could not die but were merely frozen in their undead (or man made animated)state and thawed out with the ruins of the once great city, and the wild creatures who have made the ruins their home.
Now it would appear that a powerful lich lord had made a home in felstad long before the freeze and like the other undead was frozen and has since thawed out. Now he is drawing darkminded men and women, including wizards, to his side as well as commanding legions of undead.
Under felstad in a labarinth of underground chambers are many hybrids of creatures descended from the experiments of the beastcrafters in the breeding pits.

Like I said there's room for making it your own

Thanks for sharing your ideas