Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to: Make your own Wall-textures and wall-paintings  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
How to: Make your own Wall-textures and wall-paintings
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
Hi there.

While working on my Desperados Bar (pics can be found here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80741.msg1018321#msg1018321 ) I needed to find a solution for Interior-Creation.
I tried to find suitable ready printed paper. Normally hobby supply stores are selling this kind of stuff. But the only options my local store had to offer were pink-striped, strangely checkered or totally yucky designs better not to speak of  :-X

So I came up with an alternative. Instead i bought some one-colored arts and craft paper. It is harder than normal paper but softer than cardboard.
Here is what I have done:

First of All I cut out some paper templates. Although I've painted the following details by hand, it still should look simillar to wallpaper with a small amateur taste in it (just an excuse for my shaking hands  lol).
For this one I tried simple ornaments. Later on I'm going to try out some more complexe ones.

After the workpieces are done I glued them right in space:
I've used a knive to add flaws and holes. It is a dusky old western Bar, so do not expect new and unused wallpapers  lol

For Paintings I use Magic:The Gathering Cards (but i strongly suggest NOT to use your Copy of Black Lotus!  :D). Just use some fitting land-cards or cards in different languages, I know everyone has those  ;) Important Note: I Strongly recomend to doublecheck the worth of the cards you are going to use. Not just cut cards into halfs! Make sure that they are cheap. You can check the price of MTG cards on ebay or Trading-Sides just like magickartenmarkt.de
To use Magic cards as paintings is very simple. the only thing you should do is use some thined paints (or inks) to create a faded/paintbrushed look.
1.) Cut out the Scene you'll use:

2.) Grab some colours. I've chosen Army Painter Strong Tone and Vallejo Negro Black.

3.) Cover the whole painting with Strong Tone:

4.) Use thinned Black for the edges.

5.) After waiting 2 minutes for soft drying use your brush to blur the paints. This should create small irregular paint brushes (just as can be seen on oil paintings)

6.) Add a frame. I've made this one using the same arts and craft paper as for the wall texture.

Here is an example of the finished look (although I've used another magic card for this one)

Greetings!  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:32:51 AM by Yggdrasil »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: How to: Make your own Wall-textures and wall-paintings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »
You've finally given me a way to put this Magic cards I was given at Origins when it played in San Jose all those years ago.  Though I guess I should check with some knowing soul if they have collectable value first, right?  Like I would know, never played, never cared.

Nice work, by the way.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »
Love the painting, thats a great use of a gaming card!  8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
Thanks pals.
Quote from:  FifteensAway
Though I guess I should check with some knowing soul if they have collectable value first, right?
I strongly recomend this. Not every Promo Card is valuable but there are still some which are worth some bucks  ;)

You can easily search for your Promos on this side: https://www.magickartenmarkt.de/ The prices of certain cards are fluctuating a lot but its ok to check if a card has some value or not :)

Quote from: Constable Bertrand
Love the painting, thats a great use of a gaming card!  Cool

Cheers
Matt

At least it is a better use than letting them get dusty in my MTG Box (way too many cards in there  ::))

Greetings!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 12:27:20 AM »
Great Work, lot's of inspiration to be had from here!

I think I might just steal some of those ideas for the innards of my newly arrived laser-cut mdf Old West Buildings!!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:59:43 AM »
Some Magic cards are worth hundreds, even thousands, so yes... always good to double-check first. Even some newer ones are worth $$$$$$. Of course MOST cards are worthless chaff, but you still have to check.

Great idea though - smart way to use those cards!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.