Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Two leagues for demo games  (Read 1530 times)

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
Two leagues for demo games
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
Hi!

I plan to run a couple of Pulp Alley demo games (two with a standard setting and one using Infinity miniatures to play "Infinity Alley") and I was wondering if someone could give some tips designing the leagues.

I mean, would you avoid some skills? would you make two mirror leagues or it would be better to make them all different?

Any advice will be appreciated  :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Two leagues for demo games
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:29 AM »
You can check out my thread on the demos I did at Poldercon in the Netherlands:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73530.0

Basically, I created two smaller leagues with all kinds of skills. I avoided strong combat related skills (like Hardened Veteran) and kept the focus on the Plot Points. It's an essential part of Pulp Alley that makes it way different from many other games. And if you don't focus on the Plot Points there is a good chance it all boils down to a big shootout. In itself not a problem, but it doesn't highlight  Pulp Alley's strong points well IMO.
In creating the two leagues I tried to keep them in balance (Blast to one league and Burst to the other for instance), but still with enough interesting tweaks. I think it worked really well, because people had lots of fun!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
Awesome! In fact, I've copied & pasted most of your profiles  ;)

So, next week will be the demo games (I wanted to play in september, but real life had other ideas  :'() and I've decided to design .... six leagues  lol lol

I want to show them some concepts for their crews, how you can build so many crews with rules and show them my miniatures (the three of them will play with them, so this way I can show them what I have).

I've designed the crews with the idea of hero/antagonist on my mind. So far I have:

- Tintin & Friends vs Captain Wolf & smugglers
- A young engineer girl & family vs Herr Toth & his special squad
- Archeologists vs The cult of the bloody tongue

And .... I'm having problems designing the cult of the bloody tongue, everything that I write seems ....... unspiring. So, I was wondering if someone could help me designing them.

The rules are:

- Only leader and 7 points (I want to show them the game an keep it simple).
- No background perks.
- Gangs are allowed.

I envision this league as a charismatic priest but not the main leader of the cult, and with no magical powers, instead, strange things happen when he's around (that could be the leader protecting him).

For the rest of the crew I have lots of cultists (both male and female), assasins, ceremonial guards, infiltrated cultists, an animal tamer with a whip (and a pair of lions), some ghouls ....

So, could someone help me?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 05:36:40 PM »
Maybe try the Mastermind perk? It downgrades your "Leader" to Sidekick stats but gives you extra slots for cultists.

Also, check out the Dominion perk (Perilous Island or Pulp Leagues). It gives to access to the alternate Resources -- Cults, Minions, and Gifts. And be sure to read the Cults bonuses called The Following and The Brethren.

I bet you will see some other good ideas scattered through those Resource tables.

HAVE FUN