Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley with a six year-old: The Lost World AAR  (Read 2395 times)

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
Pulp Alley with a six year-old: The Lost World AAR
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
I started a thread on the Frostgrave site about introducing my six year-old daughter to wargaming (and reintroducing myself after a long, long absence), and after an enjoyable couple of games I decided to try out Pulp Alley with her. I cobbled together the scenario myself, and although in Frostgrave I decided to simplify things for her (smaller war bands, fewer spells etc), I thought the PA rules were straightforward enough that nothing needed to be changed. Saying that, I kept forgetting to make use of the characters' abilities all the way through the game! Here's what happened anyway - the major plot point was the owl statue, which the League of Evil were trying to reanimate. The minor plot points were an old journal, a broken radio, a magic bone and an inscription on an ancient monument. I was playing the League of Evil, and my daughter was playing the Rugged Adventurers.

A side-note: I was using the excellent clear bases from Sally 4th, but it should be obvious that not all of the figures have been based properly. I found it really stressful to cut down the plinths and trim the figures' feet, so only a few have been done!

The sinister lost world, where the League of Rugged Adventurers had washed up after their boat sank off the coast.

The adventurers prepare to move inland ...

...where the landscape is dominated by a mysterious statue of a monstrous owl.

Meanwhile, by an amazing coincidence, the League of Evil arrives on the island to raise their owl-god from the stone.

Deep in the jungle, a tribe of apes stirs at the presence of these strange men.

The Rugged Adventurers quickly reach the slopes of the hill.

Doc Vicious attempts the major plot point, only to have a chunk of stone fall off and crack him on the head!

He's soon chased off by the League of Evil's sidekick, Number One.

Brother X tries to fight his way through the apes.

Number One brutally guns down Professor Pith.

Incensed at the death of his master, Rufus the Hound bursts out of the bushes and savages the evil henchman.

Meanwhile, Brother X has had his arm torn off by the ape, and is slowly bleeding to death.

The remaining adventurers regroup and cut their way through the jungle.

Rufus the Hound leaps back into the bushes and makes good his escape.

The Master (the League's leader) struggles to make his way through the apes, in search of the magic bone.

Doc Vicious hides amongst the ancient monuments, but chooses not to decipher the inscriptions ...

Rufus is temporarily down, succumbing to a burst from Number One's tommy gun!

Doc leaps out from behind a monument and empties his handgun at the nefarious villain.

So does California Smith ...

...and not to be left out, Major Campe plugs the bad guy with an expert shot.

it's curtains for Number One, the old journal tantalisingly out of reach.

It was a great game, fast-paced and full of action. The only annoying part was my daughter's frustrating reluctance to make her characters fight! This works well as a strategy in Frostgrave, where she can run around and snap up the treasure, but Pulp Alley is all about two-fisted action, and I don't think she quite got it. Still, as soon as I'd shot the dog she came out all guns blazing, so maybe she's starting to pick up the idea. In the end, it was an honourable draw, with no one in charge of any plot points, and both teams with two characters down and out.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Pulp Alley with a six year-old: The Lost World AAR
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
I had to laugh--my daughters would be the same: touch the animals and all bets are off...you're gonna die.

This was an excellent AAR, Richstrach, fun to read all the way through. I've been tempted for some time by Pulp Alley, but have yet been able to try it. At the beginning you mention how you kept forgetting your characters' abilities. I'd guess many gamers struggle with the same problem (I know I do) in any game that includes loads of skills, effects, etc. With later games things become more natural.

Great to hear about your exploits with your little companion. Please post future games if you play them!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
That's awesome! THANKS for sharing.  :D

Luckily, in Pulp Alley, it is also possible to focus on gathering the plot points and avoid combat - if that is your style of play. I've even seen some older players that tend play that way sometime.

But I suspect once she figures out that it is really okay to beat up daddy's character, there won't be any stopping her.  lol

HAVE FUN

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the kind words! We've got another game planned for this afternoon, using the 'Dangerous Delivery' scenario, which I think she'll enjoy.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:06 AM »
Cool, I hope you share some more photos.

'Dangerous Delivery' can be a tricky scenario. Having control of the Initiative at the right moment can make quite a difference.  ;)

HAVE FUN