Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (cyberpunk with helmet added 12-1-2015)  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Preface: I've been putting my sculpting work in other threads like Star Wars or Star Trek, but I don't want to just stick to one subject when I'm learning to sculpt 28mm figures. That's why I'm making a dedicated thread for my science fiction figure sculpting.

For the first sculpts on this thread I start with a Cyberpunk character. This could be a random bystander, though a gun could be added to one of his fists easily enough. I was looking for a mix of Blade Runner and Judge Dredd.

I'm pretty damn happy with how this one turned out. There are some issues to be sure, but overall I'm rather proud of it.

Then there's this Starship Crewman. This is actually a refinement of the figure I showed earlier in my Star Wars tread. Here's how he turned out.

He still doesn't have much of an ass, but I think the shirt covers that well enough. The boot cuffs and hair are a definite improvement.

All boasting aside, let me know what you think. Criticism is most welcome, as I am trying to improve my skill.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:42:50 AM by Michka »

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (Cyberpunk and Crewmen 10-2-2015)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »
On another forum I was mentioned that the boots looked too plain to go with the rest of the sculpt. I added the boot details as well as a couple extras to the jacket and here's what I got.

I think it's time to call this one done. If I keep modifying this figure I'll never move on to the next one. 

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (Cyberpunk modified 10-5-2015)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
It's like they always say in Project Runway...you need to know when to edit your designs so you don't add too much.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
I finally have a second cyberpunk sculpt done. Here he is...

This is intended as a much looser sculpt. The shirt is baggy and the boots are floppy on purpose. The hand down by his side is meant to hold some kind of accessory, whether it be a weapon, or a briefcase, or even a lunchbox. Criticism is always welcome. Let me know what you think.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (2nd Cyberpunk added 10-12-2015)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:54:37 AM »
Here are some W.I.P. shots of my third Cyberpunk sculpt.

Still needs hands and soles for the shoes. Sorry for the huge photo sizes. Photobucket is giving me horribly out of focus shots when I downsize. Let me know what you think.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (3rd Cyberpunk W.I.P. 10-15-2015)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »
Buttons are huge. Makes him look like a small child. Otherwise nice sculpt.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »
Thank you Wachaza. You're probably right about the buttons. I was thinking of them as the big, chunky buttons from in the 1970's, but that's really an excuse. I might have to just live with it for now and do better next time. Should have waited and made the buttons with green stuff.

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
I finally have a second cyberpunk sculpt done. Here he is...

This is intended as a much looser sculpt. The shirt is baggy and the boots are floppy on purpose. The hand down by his side is meant to hold some kind of accessory, whether it be a weapon, or a briefcase, or even a lunchbox. Criticism is always welcome. Let me know what you think.

The one thing that nags me is that the clothing seems a little too bland. I realize that was probably somewhat intentional, as a kind of "generic street thug" type figure, but I feel like it needs just a little more detail to be interesting. For instance, you could turn the shirt into a hoodie, with the strings hanging in front. It just looks more like a "base" figure that wasn't quite finished.

On that note, if you were going to cast these up, you could leave the head and hand(s) separate, and then do variations of the body/clothes: add a zipper, hood, or pockets to the shirt; pockets/pouches for military- or security-style pants; combat boots vs. high-top sneakers, etc.

Still pretty good overall, and you certainly seem to be improving, so keep at it!

- H8

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:21 AM »
Cool sculpts both concepts and sculpts.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 07:28:59 AM »
Thank you Hatemonger and Knightofspades. H8, I do want to get these cast eventually. I'm trying to get enough sculpts so it's worth the effort. I've filed the hoodie and zipper ideas in my head for one of the next figures I do. I've been trying to leave any figure I call finished the way it is right now, and catalogue any new ideas for future sculpts. It's the only way I can move on. Otherwise I'll get bogged down on one figure and I'll never get any momentum.

I have two finished sculpts to show off. The first is the bald guy that I was working on before.

Just some fists for hands, and some details added to the shoes. Figured the fists would be easy to convert if I wanted him to carry a gun or a cane or something else. I thought the button sided spats would look neat with the button up coat.

And here is the Big Biker Dude.

This guy was inspired by a certain big gang leader from the movie Akira. I know his hands are way too big. I'm not sure if it's the different material that's making them look so cartoony or if they're just huge. He is a big guy. Here's a side by side shot of the two figures to compare them.

Sorry for the gigantic photos. When I scale down the file size in Photobucket the focus goes to hell. It was driving me nuts. Let me know what you think.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
Sorry for the gigantic photos. When I scale down the file size in Photobucket the focus goes to hell. It was driving me nuts. Let me know what you think.

Michka: if you preview your post, you get to see a width and heigth in the img-tag. delete one and alter the other to the size you want your pic scaled. The forum software will take care of it like so :

;)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (Two new cyberpunk figures finished, 11-18-2015)
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
Some nice all purpose sculpts here. Would love to get a hold of some of these and some modern/near future-isn weapons to tool them all up with. I like the kneepads on the first guy. Very 2000ad (more kneepads  lol ). Your sculpting definitely seems to be improving with each model. Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 06:28:59 AM »
Thank you Diakon. I'm looking into getting these cast up, but I need to finish a few more so I can justify the cost of getting a mold made. I'll let people know when I have anything. 

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 07:08:54 AM »
zizi666, I tried out your method of re-scaling and it works beautifully. Thank you so much. You can see the results below.

One more sculpt for today. I've been drifting further afield of cyberpunk lately. It wasn't intentional. Just a result of making simpler clothing so I can concentrate on making more interesting poses.

This guy ended up looking more Star Trek the Motion Picture then Cyberpunk. I think I can live with that. I can always go back and add cybernetics and such with green stuff later. As it is I'll have to add height to the shoes (as usually) and probably some hair. Let me know what you think.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's Sci-Fi Sculpting (non-cyberpunk Turtleneck Dude added 11-26-2015)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 03:42:08 AM »
A much more cyberpunk figure this time. Very much a citizen of Mega City One.