Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry VSF British  (Read 3814 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Perry VSF British
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:26:28 AM »
I think these will do quite nicely for my British colonial offworld regiments..shako or no shako they are great figures:

Have to think of a better colour scheme (though I still like this one)...blue and red might be good.

Also love their (finally released) war correspondants to report on the excellent drubbing these fellows give the Prussians!

Hurrah!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Perry VSF British
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »
When I saw them yesterday, I thought they could be a nice addition to any VSF army, but I like most the shako types.

Did they have any highlanders as well?
argsilverson

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
They are lovely figures - as ever with the Perrys.

I personally wouldn't use them for VSF, as their weapons and equipment are too early for my tastes, but no reason not to use them as local militia etc if that suits you.

The correspondents are superb, though and are definitely on my shopping list  :D

Now, if they would only do 1880-1890's troops in home Service Uniform, I would die a very happy but stony-broke chap  lol

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »
These are lovely!

I've been using 1st Corps figures from their Cape Wars range for my VSF Brit militia:

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CW03.htm

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CW08.htm

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CW13.htm

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CW01.htm

Don't!

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

I personally wouldn't use them for VSF, as their weapons and equipment are too early for my tastes,

Not when their muskets have been converted to steam driven combat shotguns (highly unstable)!
 I think these fellas might well become aerial marines of some sort for boarding actions in my Mars games. The guys in the shakos could be some sort of imperial honour guard with the more ceremonial uniforms etc...not sure yet.

Alternately why not make these into another foreign power? The guys without shakos could pass as Russians quite well I think, or even Germans ..still need some weapons conversions as you say though. In fact I'm looking more closely at the whole Crimea range to see what might be useable. Some beautiful uniforms. I get a bit tired of khaki, or even the home dress red at times.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Hmmm, crimean highlanders, yes why not!

I even thought to use guards command to make  my 1 unit of wessex guards of 15 figures into 2 units of 10 figures each.

But if you want to increase the range of colours into your armies, see the uniforms of Italian armies (War of Independence/Risorgimento/Garibaldi and Co).
There you will see, apart the blues, lots of greens, pink, red, purple and so on.
Or imperial french armies with blue and red but also white, sky blue and so on!

Another inspiration is to see what colours the ceremonial uniforms of even today have: yellow jacket with sky blue pants, or golden yellow uniforms, or even white uniform with red epaulletes and piping. Lots of choices around the world! 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:17:50 AM »
They could also be spot on for lots of South american armys of that time also
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:01 AM »
Not too sure about the ones in shakos, but the forage caps have a slight nautical look about them (apart from all the equipment of course).
Might be interesting to paint them in dark blue (or white) and see how they look.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »
Not when their muskets have been converted to steam driven combat shotguns (highly unstable)!

I like your thinking! Should be great fun to use in GASLIGHT :D

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
Go for it!

Share your results too?
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking