Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo Campaign  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
Solo Campaign
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
Hello,

I have been thinking about this for a while and with people now receiving their Solo Decks, it seemed like a good time to start a Demo Solo Campaign.

As I seem to need make everything a project, I painted up a new Threshold list (well, almost...few last things to paint) to use for the campaign.  I will get photos of them up soon once I actually finish painting them.

To start, here is the list I will be using:

John Ashley - Threshold Character
Gear - .45, hollow points, cleaver, dynamite
Skill - Lightening fast

John is my boss who will be tossing dynamite left and right and probably killing himself in the process.  I don't normally let my boss handle dynamite, but thought it would be fun to try something new

Harvey John Bailey - Agent
Gear - Double Barreled Shotgun, club
Skills - Duck

Complimenting my boss is Harvey, an agent with a hard hitting gun.  I also gave him a cheap HTH weapon to help keep him alive when the horrors of the night get too close

Sister Mary Francis - Civilian
Gear - .22

I've been wanting to use the Reaper Nun model for a while so I finished painting her and added her to the list.  I wanted to give her a torch but will have to wait for a re-equip as I ran out of points.

The orphan child Lucy - Child
Gear - innocence

I really wanted to use one of the Strange Aeons Kids so I finished one of the little girls and she joined the crew.  The model is a little creepy and I see Lucy as a weird child who has visions of horrible events and has proven very useful to the threshold crew, always seeming to know when something bad was going to happen.  The rest of crew are unsure if she truly is innocent but know that she has some connection to the horrors they have witnessed and so she comes with them...I have no idea how I am going to use her at this point, but thought it would be fun and wanted to use the model.

So that is my Threshold list.  I rolled Treasure Hunt for my first missions, so now I have to put the finishing touches on the paint and also select a Lurker list...I hope to have a follow up soon...
leadadventureforum.com/gallery/16/1338_04_02_14_4_41_04_1.jpg

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
Re: Solo Campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Awesome start! I love that reaper nun as well.

Excited to see where it's going. It'll be a fun way to pass the time while I wait for payday to order the cards.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
Very much looking forward to hearing about the campaign!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:30:42 AM »
Looking forward to seeing more of this! I just bought the nun also!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:44 AM »
Okay...managed to play through a game tonight.

Here is the photo of my threshold team...

Here is the bad guys for tonight...a cult leader with cleaver (being played by a high priestess who obviously made a sacrifice to help her find the hidden treasure), a cultist with club and tommy gun, a cultist with club and long range rifle, and lastly a cultist with battle axe and .22.  You can see that I used the 0.5 EP that each cultist came with to get them a weapon that complimented the weapon I added to them.  This means a pistol for the HTH cultist with the big axe and clubs for the cultists with rifles.

Here is the solo deck, the reference cards and rules that come with it...

Set up:
In solo, the threshold set up first.  So following the set up rules from the SA 2nd edition rule book, I set up my models trying to cover 4 zones of the board to help me search for the treasure quicker.  The Lurkers set up randomly with the command model in the middle of the deployment zone and the other models to the left and right 2D6 away.  In my desire to ensure I could search board sections faster, my nun is looking dangerously in the open with a tommy gun cultist not too far away...random deployment has not helped me this time.

The lurkers won the first turn.  The lurkers use action cards to determine who moves and what they do that turn.  They get to draw a number of cards based on the number of activations they have (up to the total number of Lurkers).  In this case, the Lurkers get to draw 3 cards a turn to start (1 free per turn plus 2 more for the Cult leaders command skill).  This can change, and will, as Lurkers die.  If the command model is killed for example, then they would only get 1 card a turn.

Here is the first card I flipped to start on the Lurkers turn:

The symbols across the top tell you who to activate (in this case the lowest point Lurker), how they advance (cautious in this case) and who their target is (in this case, the model will focus on the objective of the mission).  So with this card, the Lurkers activated the battle axe cultist (lowest total points) and he would search for the treasure.  However, you can't search until turn 3 (based on the scenario rules) so he moved forward staying in cover hoping to use his big axe.  The card also adds some effect to the activated model (both good and bad) that will impact the game and keep you guessing as to what the Lurkers will do.

The cult leader moved forward cautiously as well.  The cultist with the Tommy gun was able to get in range of the nun and opened fire...taking her out with a major injury.  Bad start for my Threshold team.

On the Threshold turn I moved Lucy backwards to try to stay a safe distance from the battle axe cultist.  My other models sat tight surveying the area, waiting to be able to search for the treasure.

On the Lurker turn, the sniper model searched for the treasure but failed.  The battle axe model activated when I flipped this card:

This resulted in him having 3 actions and targeting my lowest point model (Lucy!).  I had moved her back to protect her, but with the extra move he made it into base to base easily and caused a major injury with his mighty axe while Harvey watched in horror.  Due to his inability to protect Lucy, he received 2 black marks...if he lives.  Watching in horror caused Harvey to run away.

On my turn he regained his composure and managed to take some semblance of revenge by taking out the cultist with his shotgun.

On the following Lurker turn, the following card was flipped activating the tommygun cultist:

As he had a club, he charged towards my 2 remaining threshold models cowering in the rocks...falling just short.  Harvey turned his shotgun toward the cultist, but all he could manage was to jam his shotgun. 

My boss decided enough was enough and charged the cultist.  The cultist managed to win the HTH with just one attack and backed away (since he was classed as a ranged model).   My boss followed up and charged again but couldn't hurt this brave cultist.  At the start of the following Lurker turn, the cultist's luck finally ran out and my boss managed to take him out.

The sniper cultist moved up using the rocks for cover trying to find a clear shot with his long range rifle.  Now in the cross fire of John and Harvey, he was cut down by my boss with a major injury. 

Despite the bloody start, things were finally tilting in the thresholds favor.  I moved my models trying to find the treasure but continued to not have any luck.  The Cult leader finally got close enough to charge and charged Agent Harvey.

Harvey managed to win the HTH and take out the cult leader.  A win for the Threshold but at what price?  I wasn't able to find the treasure in time, 2 models went out with major injuries and Harvey now had 2 black marks.

Post Game:

Injury rolls went well with both Lucy and Sister Mary having full recoveries.  The mystery of Lucy remains and her ability to survive against the odds only increases the mystery surrounding her.

I managed to find a map piece and also get 2 skills.  My boss took crack shot and agent Harvey took a move increase.  Knowing that he almost let Lucy die will haunt him...and that is reflected in the game by his black marks as I will have to roll next game to see if it impacts his performance. 

All in all, pretty fun first game.  Could have been a lot worse with the major injuries, but ended up pretty good.  I now have a win (1 in a row) so the Lurkers will get 2 extra points against me next game.  I will try and get another game in over the next few days and get it posted.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
Excellent report, and there's definitely something sinister about that child...I've played three solo games with my Threshold team, but just by trying to play the Lurkers as objectively as possible. The solo cards arrived in the post this morning though, so I'm keen to try them out.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
Brilliant. Looking forward to giving the Solo rules a spin myself soon!

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
well, that sold me on the deck for sure.

Thanks, BD! I hope you find the time to keep us posted on how the team fares in the future! 

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
Glad people found it useful...I will do my best to keep the campaign going. 

Now that my agent has 2 black marks, I am excited to play through the effects and see if he is able to remove them...should be fun...

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
Now that my agent has 2 black marks, I am excited to play through the effects and see if he is able to remove them...should be fun...

I think that's what's most interesting about the solo game - I don't feel overly protective of my current Threshold team at all, I'm just intrigued to see what happens to the poor saps after they've been exposed to even more mind-bending horrors ...