Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: XCom Project  (Read 11790 times)

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
XCom Project
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
Greetings! Like I'm sure many many people before me, I've been toying with the idea of creating a homebrew XCom tabletop game. I'd love to see some discussion about this. I know there are some folks on here who have already been doing so, and I'd love to reach out to them, and also to see what others think.

So far my notes have explored a few areas, all of which need expanded. Things like:

• What miniatures to use for both XCom and Aliens
  • Where to source terrain, and what terrain to use
  • Ruleset that includes the gritty danger of XCom and some of the aspects that make it so great, such as Overwatch
  • How to handle the campaign aspects such as base building, research, Council funding, and the like
  • Interception of UFO's, abstract or miniatures-based minigame?
  • Terror Missions!

I'd love to just start some discussion on rulesets that would suit, in particular, or what things YOU would love to see in an XCom miniatures game.

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
Re: XCom Project
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
Welcome to the madness! have a look here

https://www.facebook.com/XCOMthewargame

Rule writing as we speak  8)

Steve
As the vulture flutters down,
The snake sheds it\'s dove,
Willem\'s cutting off his fingers,
So they\'ll fit into the glove.... http://captaingeneral.co.uk

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »
This idea has been in the back of my mind for so long. Will keep an eye on this thread. :D

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
Welcome to the madness! have a look here

https://www.facebook.com/XCOMthewargame

Rule writing as we speak  8)

Steve

I'm actually the person that commented on the most recent picture post there. :D I've been watching it like a hawk! But I also always like to tinker. I take it you're designing your own rules rather than using or adapting something commercially available?

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »
Hi napalm backflip
   I take it you're designing your own rules rather than using or adapting something commercially available? 

Well long story short,i have written my own rules with the crazy idea they had to be original
But am now trialling a set that has plagiarised some neat mechanisms from other sets

Trying them at Blastastic recently seemed to work well
So I now need to tidy them up and add more campaign rules

As for figures... There are many many nice human figures that can fit the bill
The aliens are a different matter
Here is a bash at a floater I made earlier  :D

Steve

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:49:04 AM »
There's this from Crossover: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211492152/ufo-squad-alien-invasion-minis-and-skirmish-rules/description

More info here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=78587.0

;)

I saw those, almost backed the KS, I just couldn't pull the trigger though. I like them, but don't love them. Thanks for the heads up though, I've added them to my list!

And Captaingeneral, that floater is fantastic. You're knocking it out of the park with your stuff. Super impressed.

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »
Here's my rough list of model ranges or manufacturers that have something that would fit, if anyone is interested or has others to add:

X-Com Troopers
Black Dragon Miniatures (BDM Assault Team)
Hasslefree
Infinity Ariadna
GW Elysian Drop Troopers
Privateer Level 7
Mantic Enforcers
Copplestone
EM-4
Reaper
Sedition Wars
GW Space Marine Scouts
Dreamforge
Mars Attacks
MERCS
Pig Iron
Puppetswar
Crossover Minis

MEC’s
AT-43 UNA
MWDA Clix
Mantic Striders

SHIV’s
Infinity Traktor Muls

Aliens
Copplestone
Reaper
Crossover Minis

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:26 AM »
Haven't seen the game, but from the bit I've read, it sounds like it was inspired from the old UFO TV show, by Gerry Anderson, so you could use some of the minis and models in various scales available, for that.

I'd go with GZGs 15mm guys in Vacc Suits for the Aliens (thinner style figs with smaller helmets), and the Heavy Vacc suits for the human Astronauts/Moon Mobile Crews.  Sadly, no really good, decent-sized Moon Hoppers available to go with them, but at least the UFOs exist.

Would love to see someone do SHADO style figs for the Earth-based HQ, Mobiles, etc..

FUBAR is free, and would work for the rules, for small firefights.

There are rules for Interceptor games with the UFOs in space, as well as for SkyOne - see the UK-based group for that - Warlords gaming group, IIRC.

That'll give you a decent start.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 01:58:54 AM »
I've liked Reaper's IMEF for the X-Com forces, especially with their newer additions, and all but Bulldog being available in Bones as well (And Bulldog is pretty good for a MECH). (And if you add a set of the 30mm bases with the lip that a lot of Reapers stuff is now packaged with, you really don't need to do that much with basing either as their integral base pretty much slots in for a rather good look with the Bones ones...though the metal ones don't have those).

Their Greys are also rather good along with a few other aliens they have

In all honesty, a lot of things depend upon which version of X-Com you want to use, and I've liked the aesthetics of the new X-Com, and the mechanics are easier to understand compared to the older ones (If you've got the PC version of the new one, get Long War and enjoy).

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
That'll give you a decent start.

The X-Com computer game franchise is a very different animal to the old UFO TV series. Sadly, there's not much available to match the aesthetic of the UFO show either, except perhaps from Crooked Dice.

Lots of other good ideas on this thread though.

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
In all honesty, a lot of things depend upon which version of X-Com you want to use, and I've liked the aesthetics of the new X-Com, and the mechanics are easier to understand compared to the older ones (If you've got the PC version of the new one, get Long War and enjoy).

Leaning towards the new version, personally. I also love Long War! That may play into my conversion, but I'm wary of biting off more than I can chew.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
Napalm Backflip - what about the new guys from Project Nemesis (from Empress Miniautres)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82962.msg1018476

I think the Humans soldiers could work for X-Com troopers:

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
Oh I LIKE those! Right now my tentative plan was for Sedition Wars Troopers to be the mid level XCom troops and probably Mantic Enforcer Peacekeepers to be heavy armor. But I really like those human soldiers. Thanks for the tip!!

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
I'm also thinking to use Battle Systems terrain for most of my needs. Their new Urban Apocalypse kickstarter has exactly what I need, it appears:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain

Has anyone used the terrain from them? Perhaps their last Kickstarter? I'm impressed but it'd be nice to hear first hand accounts.