Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm fantasy for Dragon Rampant  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
6mm fantasy for Dragon Rampant
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
I probably started my 6mm Fantasy project over a year ago, but ended up neglecting it (for shame!). I’m re-booting it here with it’s own thread and a respectable number of units to begin with, some were finished quite a while ago but some are new.

The first force that I'm working on is a Chaos one and here’s a full shot of the army so far:

And some close up pics:

The figures are from the Microworld Games Dark Alliance range with the exception of the ‘Destroyers’ unit which is led by an Eureka 10mm Chaos Dwarf.

Lots more to come for these baddies including evil elf allies, but there are Dwarves and Renaissance humans too.

Thanks for looking!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 6mm fantasy for Dragon Rampant
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »
Interesting stuff, I have quite fancied doing fantasy in a smaller scale as you get the chance to really put out big armies, will be following your progress with great interest. :)

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
Great to see, I have a ton of 6mm fantasy too, more for big battles but this reminds me I have options to start smaller if I can get a good start on a couple of sides.

I love Microworld's stuff, they don't get the credit they deserve for such an awesome set of ranges.

Chris

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
Cheers chaps! These probably are much less than half of the Dark Alliance figures in the bundle I got, but the six units would be enough for a starter size Dragon Rampant game.

Microworld’s stuff is superb, I particularly like the fact they are all hand sculpted. Although I have a ton of minis which were designed on computer, Michael Lovejoy and Martin Baker’s sculpts just seem to have a bit more character. Also the sheer range of what they offer is astounding!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Great (tiny) stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Looking good, I have a few microworld figures in my 10mm armies and they are lovely little figures.

Are you going to play with 1 base is a unit?

An option I have seen done in the smaller scales is to use the individual 28mm figure sized bases, but put lots of  6 or 10mm figures on it, this gives you 3-6x the number of figures that a 28mm unit would have, but the basing is the same so all rule mechanics work as before. This could work even better with the 1, 2, 3 style basing introduced in later LR based rules (I think Pikeman’s lament was the first to use this).

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
Thanks!

I’m planning on using 6 of the small bases as one unit, a bit of a hangover from the Warmaster 40mm frontage and the 10mm depth from epic. The 10mm depth means that I can get them mounted and painted nice and easily!

I originally planned to use movement trays, but these could limit changes of formation so I think I will be using a micro dice on a themed counter like is demonstrated in the Dragon Rampant book for character units.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Aha! I hadn’t spotted that they were just 10mm deep, I was seeing two bases as one.

6 small bases to make a unit should work well. I’m pretty sure I tried a game of DR with 6 Warmaster 40x20mm bases to make a unit. It looked pretty good and all seemed to work fine.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
The dark powers resurrect this thread as another cohort marches forth to swell the ranks of the accursed horde!

These chaps are Dark Alliance foot knights from Microworld games:

Much shinier than their allies, they are clearly the best of the best...... or at least they think they are.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 04:36:30 PM »
Lovely painting!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »
These are really good. I always struggle with getting good looking gold on 6mm fantasy. Always have to opt for old, tarnished gold. But yours is almost glowing! Great stuff!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
@James Morris - Thanks!

@Mallo - Much appreciated, I’ve been using the Scale75 metallic paints which seem to be pretty rich in pigments (or shiny stuff in this case) and they do some lovely old gold and dark metals too.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 06:11:29 AM »
Wow, those dark alliance knights came out great!
Also, nice to see this project up and running again, I do loves me some grand scale 6mm  8)

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
These tiny fellas are superb! Brilliant to see a 6mm fantasy project!