Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lovecraftian/Eldritch Horrors and Scenarios for Frostgrave?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Lovecraftian/Eldritch Horrors and Scenarios for Frostgrave?
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:43 AM »
Ok, I sifted through the entire board today (both searching and actually reading through the posts), and found nothing specific that covers the whole Eldritch Horror thing. Reaper makes a number of Lovecraftian models (including the Big C himself), but just the "Demon" entry in the rule book doesn't really capture the whole Lovecraftian mood I'm contemplating for some games or a possible campaign for FG. I was just wondering if anyone else has give this any thought or had any ideas. I have plenty, but I'd just as soon not reinvent the wheel, if you get my meaning.

"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
Re: Lovecraftian/Eldritch Horrors and Scenarios for Frostgrave?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
forbidden knowledge leading to the catastrophic down fall of a civilisation? millennia old ruins lost beneath eternal ice? figures calling upon barely-contained,otherworldly powers? the boundaries between life and death no longer as clear cut as they once were? all sounds pretty HPL to me!

I have also noticed a distinct option for Lovecraftian themes in the game and definitely plan on leaning in that direction for my terrain. one of the joys of Frostgrave is its very 'old school', open world feel. just about anything goes, and for the time being at least, its up to players to build Frostgrave in their own interpretation. if you want Frostgrave to look and feel like a cold Mordheim, go for it. if you'd prefer it to be the city of the Elder Things populated by Shogoth, then that's cool too. there is space for all those concepts.

that being said, is there any Eldritch horror in the actual mechanics of the game? not specifically. perhaps that will come with a later expansion, or, more likely, it will be something that fans can add for themselves.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
forbidden knowledge leading to the catastrophic down fall of a civilisation? millennia old ruins lost beneath eternal ice? figures calling upon barely-contained,otherworldly powers? the boundaries between life and death no longer as clear cut as they once were? all sounds pretty HPL to me!

that being said, is there any Eldritch horror in the actual mechanics of the game? not specifically. perhaps that will come with a later expansion, or, more likely, it will be something that fans can add for themselves.

The closest I can find are the entries for the various Demons. I guess it's time to start really digging into the rules and seeing how to address the whole idea of "Sanity-Blasting" effects.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
Well, I have read a lot of Lovecraft...

One quick thought - how about a demon with a true 'Monstrous Form' - basically, it counts as always having the monstrous form spell cast on it. Also, if you want it to be really mean - it could cast Strike Dead with a radius affect. Since this is basically a damaging attack that is resisted with will instead of armour, it might work well for being 'sanity blastied.

You guys might regret this thread by the time I start really getting to work on 'Forgotten Pacts'!

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
Well, I have read a lot of Lovecraft...

One quick thought - how about a demon with a true 'Monstrous Form' - basically, it counts as always having the monstrous form spell cast on it. Also, if you want it to be really mean - it could cast Strike Dead with a radius affect. Since this is basically a damaging attack that is resisted with will instead of armour, it might work well for being 'sanity blastied.

Hmm. That actually works fairly well for sanity blasting. Maybe add in a rule about "Psychological Scars" coming in automatically. Maybe make a creature category of "Eldritch Thing" where all creatures with this subtype are treated as having Monstrous Form.

You guys might regret this thread by the time I start really getting to work on 'Forgotten Pacts'!

Bring it on! I'll be glad to throw ideas into this mix!

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Joe, PM sent.

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »
I had a thought (after seeing the cultists boxset) of converting the whole game into one "secret knowledge" hunting Call of Cthulhu conversion.

Seeing the Victorian/Steampunk conversion has reinforced my idea that this can be done. There are certainly plenty of miniatures around.