Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish: Questions and Clarifications.  (Read 3872 times)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish: Questions and Clarifications.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »
Another little questione: in the minion manual I noted that sometimes when you bought many minions of the same time you can "upgrade" one to a leader or mob leader (i.e. dire wolves), but sometimes you can "include" a model with the mob leader (i.e. fire beetles). Is there any difference? There is also a difference in cost  ???

Mob Leader is described in the Monstrous Traits section and Leader in the Traits section but they are both very similar in that they give the Leader the ability to hand out Leader Activation Tokens for each level they have in it (in the case of Mob Leader only to creatures of the same type). The difference in cost for a Leader depends on whether it is Leader (1) 5 GP or Leader (2) 10 GP. Mob Leader appears to be free in some cases.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
I think the question was what's the difference between 'upgrade' and 'include' and until Banderium pointed it out I hadn't considered it.
Upgrade simply is you can improve an existing faction member for the listed cost.
Include could imply that you gain an extra model for free, so if you by 3 fire beetles you get a 4th one free with Mob Leader. However I don't think this is the case, you simple get to Upgrade one of the 3.

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
I think the question was what's the difference between 'upgrade' and 'include' and until Banderium pointed it out I hadn't considered it.
Upgrade simply is you can improve an existing faction member for the listed cost.
Include could imply that you gain an extra model for free, so if you by 3 fire beetles you get a 4th one free with Mob Leader. However I don't think this is the case, you simple get to Upgrade one of the 3.

I seconded your opinion, but still I don't understand why, to upgrade a dire wolf with a mob leader (2) ability I need 10 GP, while to upgrade a fire beetle with a mob leader (3) I can get it for free.
I suppose the typo is in the Dire wolf profile, that can have the ability for free but is counted as a "leader (2)" ability.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:17:04 PM by Banderium »

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »
I seconded your opinion, but still I don't understand why, to upgrade a dire wolf with a mob leader (2) ability I need 10 GP, while to upgrade a fire beetle with a mob leader (3) I can get it for free.
I suppose the typo is in the Dire wolf profile, that can have the ability for free but is counted as a "leader (2)" ability.
I imagine this is for game balance, a Dire Wolf is a much nastier critter than a Rat or Beetle. Mob Leader makes sense for the Wolf (wolves don't talk so can't order non-wolves about). Being able to activate 3 Dire Wolves for the cost of one activation is very different than 4 rats or beetles

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
Aah! See what you mean. The only creatures that get it free as far as I can see are Rats, Leeches and Fire Beetles which cost 3 GP, 5 GP and 5GP respectively, so I guess the reason it's free is because they are such cheap creatures anyway...if you had to pay the normal upgrade cost it would be equivalent to another model.

As for whether it means include or upgrade...as it states in each case that you can 'for every three' creatures 'include one model with Mob Leader (3) ability (free)' I would assume it means you get a free 'fourth' creature with the Mob Leader ability. Otherwise, if it meant upgrade, you would have the situation in which a creature with Mob Leader (3) only had two creatures to control. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:19:00 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
In fact, reading it again...it states you get the 'ability (free)' but it doesn't state you get the creature for free. So maybe the intention is that for every three creatures you may pay the normal creature cost for a fourth creature but give it the free ability of Mob Leader (3).

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
In fact, reading it again...it states you get the 'ability (free)' but it doesn't state you get the creature for free. So maybe the intention is that for every three creatures you may pay the normal creature cost for a fourth creature but give it the free ability of Mob Leader (3).
this sounds like the right approach

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »
Could the game be played with 15mm figures without affecting its mechanics too much? Or do I better leave it as it is?

Offline mhsellwood

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »
No reason you can't use 15mm - in fact it would look quite good, and there are some very nice ranges out there.

My reading of the entries with (upgrade) or (include) is that they mean exactly the same thing. For evidence, if you look at the parties in the examples they include models that have the (include) wording in the Monstrous Manual - e.g. one faction has 5 Rats, one of them has Mob Leader (3) and the cost paid is 15 GP (3 GP each x 5).

If we are picking up errata, it is worth noting that there are a number of creatures that have the Flyer skill, but no value - do they not move if they choose to fly? (ref. Gargoyle)

General questions:

Is there any limit on the number of +1 to hit for my attacks that I can buy?

Can anybody buy ranks in Scrolls and Potions? On page 29 it states that models may purchase ranks for +5 GP.

With the Brutal ability, if I am attacking and I need to roll 6+ followed by 4+, do I get to roll the extra dice on both rolls?

A heavy crossbow is absolutely worse than a Superior bow (same range, same cost, same Strength, Brutal is roughly as good as 2 shots, but heavy crossbow has a negative to hit if moving). Why would I use the crossbow? Similarly why would I use a 2 handed mace over a 2 handed axe? Or any of the basic weapons over a spear or a morning star? I know this sounds a bit mathhammer -y but I don't think it adds a lot to the game to provide options where certain choices are clearly superior.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »
I think the difference is that with ‘include’ you must buy an extra model at regular price, so with three rats you must buy a fourth to get the free Mob Leader(3)

Flyer: If no value is listed then the Flyer moves at their vase speed (p46)

Attacks: Modifiers to Attacks roll reduce you base skill to a maximum of 2+ (p50) remember you don’t get +1’s like D&D you reduce your base number for each level you buy.

S&P: I believe any model may purchase S&P, but as they requires an Int test you may be particular

Brutal: This effects the Damage dice. Only after a successful Attack do you roll two dice and choose the better of the two.

Crossbow: Again the Brutal effects damage not Attacks, so you only get one shot but have a better chance of causing damage

2-h-mace does User+1 damage, 2-h-axe is User with Brutal

Weapons: Cost, Weapon Effects and style - these will determine you weapon choices - Cost you must buy all your weapons and even the 1GP difference adds up, Effects - parry, thrust and range are all important & Style - choose weapons that reflect you models