Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Working with PDFs  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Working with PDFs
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
Sorry to a´sk this again, but I'm struggling to get to gfrips with re-sizing pdf-paper models.

I have downloaded my free files from FiddlersGreen (HO-scale, appr. 1/80), and now I want to blow them up and rearrange them for 28 mm (appr. 1/60, or a little bigger)

I can copy the images from the pdf, no problem.

But how do I get them into Photoshop for re-working (I need to blow up the resolution to avoid losing print-quality)?

Should I get Acrobat? Or is there a simple solution I haven't thought of?

Maybe I can copy the pics to Paint or something, then save and open with Photoshop?

I am eager to find a way to do this, as there's a LOT of HO-scale paper buildings available out there - many of them free, and as I'm on a shrinking gaming budget, I have to find cheap solutions...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Working with PDFs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »
Sorry to a´sk this again, but I'm struggling to get to gfrips with re-sizing pdf-paper models.

I have downloaded my free files from FiddlersGreen (HO-scale, appr. 1/80), and now I want to blow them up and rearrange them for 28 mm (appr. 1/60, or a little bigger)

I can copy the images from the pdf, no problem.

But how do I get them into Photoshop for re-working (I need to blow up the resolution to avoid losing print-quality)?

Should I get Acrobat? Or is there a simple solution I haven't thought of?

Maybe I can copy the pics to Paint or something, then save and open with Photoshop?

I am eager to find a way to do this, as there's a LOT of HO-scale paper buildings available out there - many of them free, and as I'm on a shrinking gaming budget, I have to find cheap solutions...

You can directly open PDF files using Photoshop (if you are using Adobe Photoshop, not just "photoshop" as a catch-all term for any graphics software). Simply right-click the file, choose "open with" and select "Adobe Photoshop". Alternatively, open the file from the Photoshop "FILE/OPEN" menu. Next, a window comes up which asks you to specify the resolution and which page (if it is a multi-page PDF) you wish to open.

Works rather well. I re-sized the plans for my Russian armoured cars with this method.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
I think I tried that with an error-message as the result. I think I'm using a Limited Ed. Adobe Photoshop that may not have alle the features (came with a camera).

I must check what I've got....

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
I recently downloaded GIMP

I just tried opening a pdf in GIMP. It worked nicely. Download GIMP. Its free and takes up about 15 meg next to PShop's 700meg....

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:35:48 AM »
Sounds good, thank you!

If I can get the graphics separated in GIMP, I can always open them in Photoshop if I find it easier to do the changes there  :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »
I recently downloaded a GIMP

That's not something you should admit to in polite company  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
I usually just print stuff out at the size intended, and then rescale using the photocopier at work  :o

To convert a 1/80 print to 1/60 scale you need to make it a third larger (or multiply by 4 and then divide by 3).  You should be able to do this in either an image edititing package, or on the printer, but like Curtis says, GIMP is really worth a look!

Of course HO is nearer 1/76, and 28mm scale isn't exactly 1/60, but it depends how good you are at maths ... ;)  Its worth experimenting a little until you get a ratio you're happy with when converting models like this.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
I usually just print stuff out at the size intended, and then rescale using the photocopier at work  :o

I would if I could get it out on thin cardboard that way. I always print out paper models on 190 gsm paper for sturdiness.

Of course HO is nearer 1/76, and 28mm scale isn't exactly 1/60, but it depends how good you are at maths ... ;)

I know, it was just to have some measurements to start with. In the end I'll probably have to use the size of a doorway or something to get the scale right.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »
since in modelling the important factor is not the scale but the visual appearance.

i suggest put a model and determine how your features [like doors] should be resized. sometimes pure mathematics don't work here.
argsilverson

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »
i use a free image viewer called irfanview to rescale my paper buildings.
i just copy and paste the part of the PDF i require into irfanview, select resize/resample in the drop down, change the size to the percentage i want either plus or minus, and hit the print button.
it's really easy and gives excellent results.
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »
Sounds interesting, too!  :)

I'll have to try some of these options.

Thing is, I may have to 'cut up' some of the graphics to fit them back on A4, so I probably have to use an image editor of some kind.

But I'll fiddle around a bit to see what is best/easiest  ;)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
i use a free image viewer called irfanview to rescale my paper buildings.
i just copy and paste the part of the PDF i require into irfanview, select resize/resample in the drop down, change the size to the percentage i want either plus or minus, and hit the print button.
it's really easy and gives excellent results.
Do you have a link for that?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »