Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:55:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GG has Stone Balls AKA The Expeditions Destinations are Choosen!  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
With my Sarrisa "Steam Launch" almost done I think I have finally picked my next terrain project and location.

I wanted to find something in the Western Hemisphere, north of the equator and these are just wild enough and were discovered at exactly the right time in the '30s.  

The second article is a "modern" dig, and their discovery that this cult that made the artifacts was going strong until the 15-16th century.  Surely after first Vatican Action Team arrived with the conquistadors and put those evil swine down!

Stone Spheres of Costa Rica

Prehistoric Stone Balls: A Mystery

I think instead of "dedicated" battleboard, I will make a flexible shorline for rivers and some for beaches as well.  That way, I can size it as needed.   We will see...

Scott

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:22:37 PM by Grumbling Grognard »
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

• Scientist
Re: GG has Stone Balls AKA The Expedition Destination is Choosen
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
Just finished the steam launch and sampan.  I 'really' love the launch.  The sampan is growing on me now that it has 3 coats of varnish for strength (it is only 1mm board).

You can see them here:  GG's Gallery

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:33 AM »
The steam launch looks good.  The boiler on deck and the awning are both nice touches.  The sampan is coming along well.  Is there more to be added on the bow?  I'm not up on eastern boats so I didn't know if they were so angular forward.  If I ever need ship's boats for a scenario I think I'd have a look at these again.  Your sampan would probably be a good template/basis for a small dhow.

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:07 AM »
Sorry to disapoint, but the sampan is done.  No other parts, and I am satisfied with the paint.  From the pics I have seen, that is as good as it gets with me doing the painting. :)  I suspect these sell much better with the Vietnam guys that game it in 28mm (I think Bolt Action is bringing out a game as well).

The sampan was a last second idea as it was pretty darn cheap.  The push for me was the fact the canopy-thing comes out and it looks fine as a small boat like you suggest (and it was only ~$7 IIRCC).

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
I wasn't disappointed GG.  I got a look at some pretty cool boats and something else you mentioned in the thread gave me an awesome idea to steal for my own campaign once I get the models and terrain together  :).

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »
Personal life has been hell....but things are starting to settle (I hope) and...

I have finished building and rough-painting my 17 huge "truncated trees" for my Costa Rica expedition.

I have my paddle wheeler in hand (not built yet mind you) and have cleared space to start work on my river terrain (priority with boats ready to launch!  :(  )

Hope to post something by the end of the holidays with loads of time off to build toys...  THEN maybe I can actually play this damn'ed (literal mind you) game again!   :-*

GG

Offline rcketscientst

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
The picture of the steam launch and the sampan reminds me of a scene from Apocalypse Now.  I like it.

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »
I just finished my 17 "Uber-Truncated-Jungle-Trees" for my Strange Aeons expedition to Costa Rica.

I have posted a few pics in my Gallery under the "Game Play Pics" section:

GG's Gallery

Comments welcome,
Scott
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:53:34 AM by Grumbling Grognard »

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »
Finally getting some painting done!  Lots of dismembered limbs, a few more swarms and some custom races (finally):

Comments welcome, esp. in regards to "balance".

GG's Gallery of Custom Races

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
The below site was on my "short list" when I decided for the Costa Rican expedition, and since I think I can leverage my "huge-jungle-trees" for this trip as well as my sampans AND now they have found bodies on the site...I think my next trip is to be to Laos or as it was called back in the day: 'French IndoChina".  Maybe I will pick up that old RAFM set after all...

The Plain of Jars

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
Re: GG has Stone Balls AKA The Expeditions Destinations are Choosen!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:52 AM »
That plain of jars has a lot of eerie potential.  With that scene of horror composed of jars you created and thereby an authority on creepy jars I'm sure it will be something cool.

• Scientist
Re: GG has Stone Balls AKA The Expeditions Destinations are Choosen!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 03:11:46 AM »
That plain of jars has a lot of eerie potential.  With that scene of horror composed of jars you created and thereby an authority on creepy jars I'm sure it will be something cool.
Perfectly simple explantion of a centuries old mystery: Why was the "Plain of Jars" created?  To store left-overs!   lol