Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Something different: Witch Hunters in Frostgrave. Sort of.  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Something different: Witch Hunters in Frostgrave. Sort of.
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
Another project log of another Frostgrave warband! This one will be a twist on the archetypical Witch Hunter group, with heavy Italian Renaissance influences and exchanging the usual religious background for a more enlightened technological vibe.

The idea is that soon after the disaster that engulved Felstadt, a small group of survivors from the city, bolstered by others from neighbouring settlements, formed a select society, a guild of sorts. To them, it was clear that magic itself was to blame, this mysterious power that could never fully be controlled by mere mortals. No longer would they rely on foolish wizards nonetheless trying to use it; a revolutionary worldview miles away from what was common in that day and age. As time passed on, they slowly developed - through much trial and error - safer technologies and techniques, which though satisifactory, could still rarely match the raw powers of magic (for better or worse). As the origins of Felstadt's fall passed from memory to myth, few still supported the simple, manual ways, instead returning to the ancient magical lore, despite the risks involved. When the heavy snowstorms that had so long shielded Frostgrave (as it was now known) from the surrounding world suddendly disappeared, many groups of magicians flocked to the city, on the quest for forgotten knowledge and artefacts. The guild, too, sent emissaries, albeit with a different purpose. To ensure a similar disaster might never again take place, they would try to find what caused it all these years ago. They would destroy all remaining magical items they encountered. And they would also destroy any wizards that would stand in their way.

In game terms, this means that all spells selected for this warband will have to be explained by technology or other mundane methods. I expect the 'wizard' will be an enchanter, which is to say an engineer of sorts, creating weaponry enfused with silver to combat the creatures of magical origin. 'Elemental bolt' as a primitive blackpowder weapon (with some chance of painfully misfiring!). A ring of slow falling is simply a parachute; the construct a clockwork knight. Any unsuitable items will of course be destroyed! (or actually sold, to simulate a reward from the guild. Don't want to punish in-game effectiveness too much!). Figures will be the Perry late medieval plastics, with some green stuff work where needed. Wizard should get some likeness to the great man himself, Leonardo da Vinci - depending on how my sculpting turns out. Pictures soon!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Something different: Witch Hunters in Frostgrave. Sort of.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
Its a good concept but you can also just have the mage be an anti-mage. The witch hunters are lead either by heroic wizards who feel that magic should be banned from use other that to stop others from misusing magic. A sort of "I fight for the light with the powers of darkness" kind of thing. Or corrupt wizards who use the witch hunter ideology as an excuse to get the control of all magic for their own organization.
How do you make an anti mage? Just make a regular wizard of the class you think suits and call him an anti-mage.

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
One way to go with spell justification is Divine Powers. Have a Wrath of God Witch Hunter bringing divine retribution on all the sinners!

Xin
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Ah, but there really are plenty of decent possibilities within this framework already. Elemental bolt for offensive magic (blackpowder weapon), supporting spells like enchant weapon/embed enchantment (silver gear to kill magical beasties), heal/brew potion (medical knowledge), mist (smoke bomb), grenade (less smoke, more bomb), absorb knowledge (reading all them books) and many more.. there are some spells that I won't attempt to learn even if getting a grimoire, but that will be equally true for any warband really.

Anyway, got some stuff built.. no pics of slightly more extensive work on a thief yet, or indeed the mighty engineer himself (who still requires a lot of sculpting).

Doggie. First one with a sculpted base, going for a simple tile pattern.

Two charming thugs. Who knew those archers' hands with two fingers extended would be so useful...

Haughty treasure hunter (right) and clockwork knight (left).

Back of the clockwork knight (medium construct). Was an interesting challenge to create a very static pose on this one, but not as challenging as working with those fiddly gears. Based on a historical example, I might add: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo%27s_robot

Crossbowman and templar.

And finally, the Apprentice. Fancy hat, gun and rather a sophisticated appearance.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
Renaissance works for Frostgrave!

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Anarchy

• Assistant
  • I make games.
    • Zero Radius Games
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »
Nice clockwork knight! Very clever.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
..and that's when I knew I wanted some sword-and-buckler men too. Not sure if a man-at-arms (as they would be) is worth it over a treasure hunter, but hey, plenty of bits to build a bunch of models. Not loads of hand weapons, but will probably get a second one later.

Sneaky thief with one of those half cloak thingies (there likely exists a more technical term for that)

And the great man himself, my wizard/engineer, Leonardo.

Loosely based on:

Some additional angles:

Group shot! (click for larger picture)

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 05:31:41 PM »
Wahow ! He IS Leonardo ! Great idea and great sculpt, I love it.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
Great looking minis nicely converted. Thanks for sharing

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Great work with green-stuff.

I would recommend to make pictures with light background. Even a piece of paper can serve well :)

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
Great conversions! Looking forward to seeing them painted! :)

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »
The conversions and capes are very cool! Well done!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the comments everybody, much appreciated. Took a bit longer to get back to these (you know the story, a few different warbands and other projects to finish in between), but built another bunch of figures in the meantime. Also started painting, but nothing worth showing yet.

Knight (love that guy) and Crossbowman

Infantryman and a second Man-at-Arms (spear from cavalry and pavise from crossbowman make for a decent pavise spearman)

Two archers, who will probably get swords in scabbards before painting as they're likely to be rangers by then!

Another two which I'm rather fond of: Tracker ('decapitated' billhook as staff, bagged bow from cavalry and quiver from Victrix) and a very duelist-esque treasure hunter

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 02:34:43 PM »
Very nice!
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
Excellent idea and execution with some great conversions. I can't wait to see these painted up