Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seven Hills – A Week of Very Ancient Rome  (Read 16062 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Seven Hills – A Week of Very Ancient Rome
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »
I gather you work on the narrative to bring the figure to life while painting?  Nice work on both btw.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »
Yes, absolutely enjoying tour de force, Doc, love the stories, the characters and all the little detais like the check pattern on the helmet of Ofetios.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »
Cracking painting, and the background stories really make the characters come to life!

Anticipating the next one!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
He looks great - of course! Which pack is he from?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 01:59:25 AM »
Many thanks all!
Quite embarrassing to know some people read my nonsense. lol Please don't expect a full story arc, I make these up as I go along. After this and the last one it might become clear why I chose this variety of figures in particular.
Speaking of individuals, Phil, the last one was from ETR007 – kindly provided by Aventine on special order. Kudos!

We've certainly gathered by now: There's always need for capable and willing warriors in ancient Italy. The urban and tribal communities are more or less constantly at war with each other, and if they don't have enough manpower, surely some neighbours will gladly offer their services. Warbands are rambling up and down the Apennine Peninsula, frequently joined by Celts from across the Alps or Greeks and Carthaginians from Sicily. Mamerce the Etruscan hails from Veii, just a few miles to the north of Rome. Both cities share a cordial long-term hostility and thereby established an almost regular exchange of men taken prisoner in battle. It's not unusual for these 'hostages' to become valued members of the their 'host's' household and thus fellow citizens of their former enemies.

Mamerce serves Valesios as a bodyguard, one of the few truly professional soldiers at Rome. His equipment, including fine lamellar armour, was likely a gift in order to bring him up to the standards (and wealth) required to join the Roman phalanx alongside his patron. It is very likely that, for the most part, Roman super-heavy hoplite infantry appeared on the battlefield only to look impressive and menacing. Eye-catching head-gear like a set of feathers mentioned (much later) by Polybius was perhaps one measure, so I painted them here in striking red. The shield design is inspired by Peter Connolly's depiction of Etruscan hoplites.

Tomorrow (or later today rather) I'll wrap this up with a special figure. A final group shot might (!) follow next week or so.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:39:58 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 02:25:14 AM »
Superb, and an excellent finish on that spearshaft.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »
Yet another stunning character!  :-*

Tomorrow (or later today rather) I'll wrap this up with a special figure. A final group shot might (!) follow next week or so.

No, it can't be over yet!!!  :o What about their rivals? The cattle they rustle, so to speak? Their family members, next door neighbours... ;)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
This is the most beautifull in the bunch so far. Gorgeous work on the shield.

Offline nikko

• Scientist
    • les figurines du Nikko
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
Hello,
Great paintjob on this nice Avantine miniature.
Nikko

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
Sickeningly brilliant painting. Time for me to give up wargaming and take up tiddlywinks.

Thanks for the info on the figure… Now I know where to look on the Aventine site!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
Many thanks, guys! Mamerce is one of my favourites as well, not the least because hoplite shields are a great surface to paint on.

Now that all the different classes from hoplite to skirmisher are present, there's one thing remaining. A good handful of warriors make up a decent raiding party. But in battle they easily are scattered, so 'command & control' is vital. Valesios has chosen young Vestrikius, nephew of Tiferios, to be his second-in-command and to carry the companionship's hallowed standard – some say, for no other reason than being "closely related" to the patron somehow. Roman aristocrats usually ignore such detractors who clearly have no sense for Greek refinement…

Particularly un-Greek seems the use of standards in general. Fighting almost exclusively in close order formations hoplites don't really need visual rallying points. More lightly equipped warriors, though, may disperse and form up again as the situation requires, and thus standards are probably more useful for the kind of flowing combat that prevails in early Italy. In all likelihood Roman formations were never that complex. Warriors come soldiers would rather bunch up in mobs, watching their comrades in front (not unlike a theatre performance) and waiting for their own next turn.

Since the standard constitutes a unit in battle, it may become a symbol of the unit's identity as well. The bull seen here is a rather common symbol, possibly derived from folk etymology which interlinked "Italia" with "bull (calf)" in several languages (e.g. Latin (v)itellus). Another totemistic item may be the pelt armour traditionally ascribed to Roman standard bearers. Perhaps it was also an appropriately "ancient" looking garment. Or perhaps it was lightweight enough not encumber its wearer in case he had to safe the standard by simply running off. Only to tell the people at home about the great deeds of their fathers, brothers and husbands, of course.

And so this little story comes to an end as well. No promises if and when this will be resumed. Like said, it's been a fun project first and foremost.

At this point, huge thanks to Aventine Miniatures are in order: They kindly agreed to help me out on this with special orders of individually picked models. That's a very rare service these days, and I'm happy to commend them not only for that, but also for all the research that went into this range. Hats off to Keith and Adam!

Finally, thanks to you all for your company and comments this week. If you feel inspired to share your work here on LAF, whatever the format, my mission's accomplished. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:41:49 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
Great thread.
Aventine ancients are super and your painting really does them justice!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
Not another! On the same day. Order for Tiddlywinks has now gone in...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013HHD2M?keywords=tiddlywinks&qid=1445184059&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Seriously impressed with your painting.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »
Very cool
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
Mad Doc ,  make a small warband! i think you could even use a modified lion rampart for some italian hill tribe type skirmish game !

Such awesome models I love your work !